Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence yea or nay

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

You seem to forget that the majority of Scots wish to remain in the Union.

The Tories have to respect that.

They can't just ditch them.

Not forgetting anything, if the EU referendum aspect comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Not forgetting anything, if the EU referendum aspect comes into play.

That post makes no sense.

Explain yourself

That post makes no sense.

Explain yourself

Explain this in the light of the article I linked to:
    The idea that Scotland would leave the union due to the outcome of the EU referendum is stupid.

What's stupid?

Explain this in the light of the article I linked to:

What's stupid?

OK lets start with the basics.

1. Scotland decided to stay in the UK in September by virtue of the electorate voting NO in greater numbers than voting YES in a independence referendum

2. The fact that (1) above happened means that and further referendums involving the UK will include Scotland and that the votes cast in Scotland will be included in, and counted as, part of the overall votes cast in the UK.

The idea that they would somehow be dealt with separately in a EU referendum is whats stupid.

It's a bit like Donegal in the republic not introducing a constitutional change because they voted against it (I used Donegal as they seem to go against the rest of the country in every referendum )

1. Scotland decided to stay in the UK in September by virtue of the electorate voting NO in greater numbers than voting YES in a independence referendum

Basic indeed. I'm aware of the result thanks.
    2. The fact that (1) above happened means that and further referendums involving the UK will include Scotland and that the votes cast in Scotland will be included in, and counted as, part of the overall votes cast in the UK.

Even taking the above into account, Paul Cairney of Stirling University said:
    a referendum in which Britain as a whole voted to leave the EU while Scots voted to stay in would trigger a new UK constitutional crisis and demands for a new Scottish independence referendum.
    The idea that they would somehow be dealt with separately in a EU referendum is whats stupid.

It's far from stupid.
    It's a bit like Donegal in the republic not introducing a constitutional change because they voted against it (I used Donegal as they seem to go against the rest of the country in every referendum )

It's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What is stupid is the assumption from some of the posters here that as Scotland voted No, everything will be hunky dory going forward no matter what. If England votes take the UK out of Europe and the majority of people in Scotland voted to stay, then the dynamics have changed and there will be a constitutional crisis in the UK

You have misjudged what is happening in Scotland at the moment

Basic indeed. I'm aware of the result thanks.

Even taking the above into account, Paul Cairney of Stirling University said:

It's far from stupid.

It's not.

So the opinion of a university academic is that it would "cause a constitutional crisis and demands for a new Scottish independence referendum."

That's all well and good but another opinion would be that a referendum was held and failed in September 2014 and that no further referendum would be required.

As I said it's the SNP looking for a new angle now that the referendum has failed for this generation.

but another opinion would be that a referendum was held and failed in September 2014 and that no further referendum would be required.

As I said it's the SNP looking for a new angle now that the referendum has failed for this generation.

He's not talking about an independence referendum in isolation, but with reference to an EU referendum, should an EU referendum be held. It will be on the agenda again far sooner than in a generation in this case I think.

What is stupid is the assumption from some of the posters here that as Scotland voted No, everything will be hunky dory going forward no matter what. If England votes take the UK out of Europe and the majority of people in Scotland voted to stay, then the dynamics have changed and there will be a constitutional crisis in the UK

You have misjudged what is happening in Scotland at the moment

Ohh, disappointed with the will of the majority are we ?

Sorry that's just the way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If the UK was proper union, it would not leave the EU unless a majority in 3 of its 4 parts agreed to it. That Cameron would oppose such a thing illustrates the limits of the big talk before the Scottish referendum. The EU referendum could indeed cause a constitutional crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ohh, disappointed with the will of the majority are we ?

Sorry that's just the way it goes.

The unionist parties said the UK was a union of equal partners between Scotland and England. It appears that you have your head in the sand about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ardmacha wrote: »
    If the UK was proper union, it would not leave the EU unless a majority in 3 of its 4 parts agreed to it. That Cameron would oppose such a thing illustrates the limits of the big talk before the Scottish referendum. The EU referendum could indeed cause a constitutional crisis.

So ten million people get to boss around the other fifty?

That doesn't sound particularly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

So ten million people get to boss around the other fifty?

That doesn't sound particularly fair.

It is the nature of a union though that al parties have an equal voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

ardmacha wrote: »
    It is the nature of a union though that al parties have an equal voice.
    No that's the nature of a federation. If you want a US style constitution, where all states get an equal say in government but separatism is illegal then fine with me but you can't have it both ways.

Advertisement