Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence yea or nay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

All very well and good although the current funding arrangement for devolved administrations relies on a proportion of the spending decided in England therefor if none of the non English constituency MP's could vote on policies, they would have no influence on the funding for their Parliament / Assembly. What is needed is federalism in the UK with the common areas decided at UK level but none of the main parties support that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I am saddened by the fact that I would have prefered the result to go the other way, but that is personal. Democracy won out, both by the debate and the popular engagement, and by the turnout - that is what I thought fantastic.

I am also saddened by the foreign interference in the debate from the Spannish PM, the soon to be replaced President Borossa, the two Clintons, Obama plus many more. It was also anti-democratic that senior Government sponsored people interfered such as the Govenor of the Bank of England, who is a Civil Servant (effectively), and the Government owned banks making political statements about moving their brass plates.

However, all over till the next time.

Would you expect any better from a government that denies Catalonia the right of self-determination? Franco is alive and well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

feargale wrote: »
    Would you expect any better from a government that denies Catalonia the right of self-determination? Franco is alive and well.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Really now, what a suprise.
    Oil firms BP and GDF Suez have announced the discovery of a new field in the UK Central North Sea.

The find, which spans adjacent blocks operated separately by the two companies, has been flow-tested at a maximum rate of 5,350 barrels per day.

The discovery has been called Marconi by GDF Suez subsidiary GDF Suez E&P UK, while BP has named it Vorlich.

GDF Suez E&P UK managing director Ruud Zoon described the discovery as "encouraging".

He said: "The discovery is our third successful well this year and demonstrates a continuing commitment by GDF Suez to an active exploration and appraisal drilling programme on the UK Continental Shelf."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What did Alec Salmon say - 'It's either loads of oil - or loads and loads of oil!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MrHogan35

Many Nations like the syrian people lose 250,000 Killed to get their Freedom the scottish deserve everything
    they have coming to them i hope the English Government Backtrack on Everything they said they have a chance
    to get freedom and Useless monkeys refuse it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MrHogan35 wrote: »
    Many Nations like the syrian people lose 250,000 Killed to get their Freedom the scottish deserve everything
    they have coming to them i hope the English Government Backtrack on Everything they said they have a chance

It's got nothing to do with freedom. Comparing being part of the UK to being in Syria only proves you know very little about one or both of those situations.

The people chose. End of.

MrHogan35 wrote: »

You're away ahead of us. Could you elaborate please, with a few full stops and commas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

In the pub tonight watching the match,hearing them singing flower of Scotland which has to be one of the best national songs in the world and they singing "to send them homeward to think again",everybody just started laughing at how silly that sounded after what they had just done to themselves in the referendum.

tipptom wrote: »
    In the pub tonight watching the match,hearing them singing flower of Scotland which has to be one of the best national songs in the world and they singing "to send them homeward to think again",everybody just started laughing at how silly that sounded after what they had just done to themselves in the referendum.

That was at the start of the game. Did you also laugh at the end of the game when they sent our boys "homeward to think again"?

That was at the start of the game. Did you also laugh at the end of the game when they sent our boys "homeward to think again"?
    The result of a soccer game doesn't bother me,and at least we have our own country that brave men fought for to go "homeward" to.

It's got nothing to do with freedom. Comparing being part of the UK to being in Syria only proves you know very little about one or both of those situations.
    Course it has every thing to do with freedom,Scotland the brave just wasn't brave enough to take that step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

The result of a soccer game doesn't bother me,and at least we have our own country that brave men fought for to go "homeward" to.

Well we have three-quarters of it, the Scots may not have yet broken free, but they do not propose leaving anyone behind when they do.

Well we have three-quarters of it, the Scots may not have yet broken free, but they do not propose leaving anyone behind when they do.
    I'm sure they wont but then they wont be threatened with annihilation by the most powerful warmongering country in the world if they don't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Course it has every thing to do with freedom,Scotland the brave just wasn't brave enough to take that step.
    People have freedom in the United Kingdom. It has nothing to do with freedom or being "brave".

Suggesting Scottish people weren't brave enough to seek independence implies that's what the majority wanted but we saw during the campaign that's not true. The majority wanted to stay in the UK and "bravely" voted to do so.

[/B] I'm sure they wont but then they wont be threatened with annihilation by the most powerful warmongering country in the world if they don't accept it.
    Most warmongering country in the world? Seriously? Nearly every continental war the British have participated in has been fought with the intention of stopping the larger continental powers (usually France/Spain and later unified Germany/Russia) from swallowing up smaller countries.

The Netherlands, Belguim, Portugal and Greece wouldn't have stayed independent if not for British protection.

Some strange things have happened since Scotland voted No

1. The winning parties are in turmoil, Scottish Labour are in meltdown
    2. The losing parties have experienced the biggest % increase in party membership ever
    3. The UK Government waited about 20 seconds after the vote came in to distance themselves from their promises during the referendum
    4. A couple of weeks after the No vote, it transpires that new oil and coal fields have been found
    5. The 'vote No to save Scottish shipbuilding' could soon be in tatters as the MOD look to move shipbuilding from Scotland

• Advertisement

Scotland lost.
    They lost respect big-time.
    Imagine being handed the right to run your own country and refusing it.
    Has it ever happened before except maybe in some tin pot third world country?

Malta 1802.
    Geneva 1815.
    Texas 1836.
    Sardinia 1861.
    Montenegro 1918.
    Slovakia 1918.
    Slovenia 1918.
    Newfoundland 1949.
    Quebec 1980 & 1995.

In 1919 Liechtenstein sought to become a Swiss canton but was politely refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Malta 1802.
    Geneva 1815.
    Texas 1836.
    Sardinia 1861.
    Montenegro 1918.
    Newfoundland 1949.

In 1919 Liechtenstein sought to become a Swiss canton but was politely refused.

Add in Quebec 1995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Some strange things have happened since Scotland voted No

1. The winning parties are in turmoil, Scottish Labour are in meltdown
    2. The losing parties have experienced the biggest % increase in party membership ever
    3. The UK Government waited about 20 seconds after the vote came in to distance themselves from their promises during the referendum
    4. A couple of weeks after the No vote, it transpires that new oil and coal fields have been found
    5. The 'vote No to save Scottish shipbuilding' could soon be in tatters as the MOD look to move shipbuilding from Scotland

6. Scotland remains part of the UK

That is hardly strange considering it was a No vote or do you really think it is strange?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Most warmongering country in the world? Seriously? Nearly every continental war the British have participated in has been fought with the intention of stopping the larger continental powers (usually France/Spain and later unified Germany/Russia) from swallowing up smaller countries.

The Netherlands, Belguim, Portugal and Greece wouldn't have stayed independent if not for British protection.
    Ha Ha,priceless,all these little counties they ruled was only because they were afraid of them big bad continental countries coming in and swallowing them up.
    No wonder you find that we were desperately ungrateful terrorists for fighting back and freeing our country from your rescuing grasp.

Had I known that I would still be looking for that Empirical sun to be still setting on me this Sunday evening.pacman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

[/B] I'm sure they wont but then they wont be threatened with annihilation by the most powerful warmongering country in the world if they don't accept it.

Ireland wasn't threatened with annihilation either. This is just an excuse.

Even the civil war was more to do with the oath of allegiance rather than partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Godge wrote: »
    6. Scotland remains part of the UK

For now. If this 'Brexit' referendum goes ahead, and Scotland votes to stay in the EU while England votes to leave, what happens then?

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    For now. If this 'Brexit' referendum goes ahead, and Scotland votes to stay in the EU while England votes to leave, what happens then?
    The United Kingdom will be voting, not England and Scotland separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The United Kingdom will be voting, not England and Scotland separately.

I know that. If the majority of Scots vote to stay in, and the English vote to leave, will Scotland accept it? It appears not, if what the SNP are saying turns out to be true.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/new-snp-leader-determined-to-keep-scotland-s-place-in-eu-1.2001769

• Advertisement

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    I know that. If the majority of Scots vote to stay in, and the English vote to leave, will Scotland accept it? It appears not, if what the SNP are saying turns out to be true.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/new-snp-leader-determined-to-keep-scotland-s-place-in-eu-1.2001769
    Whether they agree or not is irrelevant, they have no ability, legal or otherwise to secede.

Advertisement