Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence yea or nay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Whether they agree or not is irrelevant, they have no ability, legal or otherwise to secede.

It'll be relevant if and when the time comes. Another piece in the IT by Dennis Kennedy that deals mainly with NI if the UK votes to leave. However on Scotland he states that:
    Scotland would almost certainly demand, and get, a referendum to make its own decision on EU membership, and would most probably opt to stay in the EU, not the UK.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/is-it-time-to-revisit-the-idea-of-a-federal-ireland-1.1998276

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The United Kingdom will be voting, not England and Scotland separately.

Constitutional crisis if the England votes take equal partners of the union out of the EU and the majority in the other countries vote to stay in. That scenario will lead to the break up of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Still so disappointed at the lack of bravery of our Scottish cousins.'and be a nation again'...not in this generation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Constitutional crisis if the England votes take equal partners of the union out of the EU and the majority in the other countries vote to stay in. That scenario will lead to the break up of the UK
    That's not what a constitutional crisis is and it won't lead to Scottish independence as the majority of people in Scotland want to maintain the Union.

That's not what a constitutional crisis is and it won't lead to Scottish independence as the majority of people in Scotland want to maintain the Union.

At the expense of breaking the union with Europe? I don't think so and you are out of touch

• Advertisement

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    It'll be relevant if and when the time comes. Another piece in the IT by Dennis Kennedy that deals mainly with NI if the UK votes to leave. However on Scotland he states that:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/is-it-time-to-revisit-the-idea-of-a-federal-ireland-1.1998276
    First off he means the SNP will demand, not Scotland. Secondly I don't see why he believes they would be granted a separate referendum. This is naive nonsense from sore losers, Scotland has voted to remain in the UK, the UK leaves or stays in the EU as a whole.
    At the expense of breaking the union with Europe? I don't think so and you are out of touch
    I do. Not that it matters there is no possibility of another referendum.

Scotland has voted to remain in the UK, the UK leaves or stays in the EU as a whole.

I think your being naive tbh, if you think this will happen. Yougov poll thinks 57% of Scots want to stay in the EU, as opposed to 37% for the rest.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/scots-want-to-stay-in-eu-as-the-rest-of-britain-wants-to-say-goodbye.1414934009

I do. Not that it matters there is no possibility of another referendum.

No possibility? now you are spoofin

No possibility? now you are spoofin
    Nope, no possibility at all Parliament will authorize another referendum so soon after the last one. You're really grasping at straws now.
    I think your being naive tbh, if you think this will happen. Yougov poll thinks 57% of Scots want to stay in the EU, as opposed to 37% for the rest.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/scots-want-to-stay-in-eu-as-the-rest-of-britain-wants-to-say-goodbye.1414934009
    But that doesn't mean Scotland will leave the Union, it can't without a referendum and we won't have another referendum for twenty years at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Nope, no possibility at all Parliament will authorize another referendum so soon after the last one. You're really grasping at straws now.

But that doesn't mean Scotland will leave the Union, it can't without a referendum and we won't have another referendum for twenty years at least.

Any amount of political events could precipitate a referendum. You simply don't know when the next one will be.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Any amount of political events could precipitate a referendum. You simply don't know when the next one will be.
    The only time a referendum can be called is with permission of Parliament. That won't happen any time soon, likely within the next twenty years, if not fifty. The possibility of UK exit from the European Union was an issue during the last referendum and people still voted in favor of the union.

The only time a referendum can be called is with permission of Parliament. That won't happen any time soon, likely within the next twenty years, if not fifty.

You are guessing. You don't know.

That may be so...., if theres no EU referendum. But if there is and there is a divergence in voting patterns as hinted at by Yougov, I think there will be another one alot sooner than you suggest.

You are guessing. You don't know.
    No one knows the future, you might as well say this conversation is pointless because the world might be destroyed before the EU referendum. You don't know, saying otherwise is only guessing.

What we can do is use our brains to logically conclude what will likely happen and another referendum is not on the horizon in the foreseeable future. The UK will leave or stay in the EU as a block, there is no legal possibility for any other result.
    That may be so...., if theres no EU referendum. But if there is and there is a divergence in voting patterns as hinted at by Yougov, I think there will be another one alot sooner than you suggest.
    Who will authorize it? Because Parliament won't.

No one knows the future,

Precisely. So stop guessing?

The UK will leave or stay in the EU as a block, there is no legal possibility for any other result.

You dont know what will happen, although the GE campaign next year will possibly give the first indications of scenarios.
    Who will authorize it? Because Parliament won't.

If England votes overwhelmingly to leave the EU, but the Scots vote to stay in, you think the English Tories won't cut them loose in order to get out as smoothly as possible?

Precisely. So stop guessing?

Read the rest of my post. Then we'll talk.
    You dont know what will happen, although the GE campaign next year will possibly give the first indications of scenarios.
    The "you don't know" argument again. You don't know the world won't be destroyed before the European referendum, no one can see the future, we base our predictions on what we know from the past and present.
    If England votes overwhelmingly to leave the EU, but the Scots vote to stay in, you think the English Tories won't cut them loose in order to get out as smoothly as possible?
    Absolutely they won't, the Tories are 100% pro Union.

Read the rest of my post. Then we'll talk.

I did, and I logically conclude you are guessing and anything is possible in a volatile political situation.
    The Scottish Independence question is not settled and as I said earlier in the thread, what you are actually watching is the start of the break up of the UK.

I did, and I logically conclude you are guessing and anything is possible in a volatile political situation.
    The Scottish Independence question is not settled and as I said earlier in the thread, what you are actually watching is the start of the break up of the UK.
    Yeah except it is settled. Now you're actually guilty of the same fallacy you falsely accused me of.

I get a strong hint of sour grapes from you. A referendum can only be called by Parliament and they won't call one for the foreseeable future. Twenty, if not fifty years and even then only when they're sure they'll win. The EU referendum doesn't change this.

The "you don't know" argument again.

One sentence, but the very next starts with:
    You don't know...

Are you critical or not of this line of argument?
    Absolutely they won't, the Tories are 100% pro Union.

Really? They'll preserve the Union and stay in the EU to mollify the Scots, if the Scots vote to stay in?

• Advertisement

One sentence, but the very next starts with:

Are you critical or not of this line of argument?
    Yes. Obviously.

Really? They'll preserve the Union and stay in the EU to mollify the Scots, if the Scots vote to stay in?
    Nope. If the UK votes to leave the EU they will leave the EU as a single entity. The SNP may disagree but that's democracy. One man one vote.

Yes. Obviously.

Nice one. 'The world may be destroyed' before an EU referendum is held, probably 2017 if Cameron gets back into government, but you've no problem stating there won't be a independence referendum for another '20 or 50 years'.
    Nope. If the UK votes to leave the EU they will leave the EU as a single entity. The SNP may disagree but that's democracy. One man one vote.

I'm puzzled on your continued confidence on this, since you also claim that 'no one can see the future'.

Nice one. 'The world may be destroyed' before an EU referendum is held, probably 2017 if Cameron gets back into government, but you've no problem stating there won't be a independence referendum for another '20 or 50 years'.
    My point is this "you don't know" argument is nonsense. No one knows the future, we make predictions based on what we know from the past and present.

I'm puzzled on your continued confidence on this, since you also claim that 'no one can see the future'.
    You asked me a question. I answered it.

My point is this "you don't know" argument is nonsense. No one knows the future, we make predictions based on what we know from the past and present.

If thats the case, the world will keep spinning for a while yet then?
    You asked me a question. I answered it.

A bit of substance as to why you think the UK will leave the EU as one big happy family would be nice.

If thats the case, the world will keep spinning for a while yet then?
    More likely than not.
    A bit of substance as to why you think the UK will leave the EU as one big happy family would be nice.
    Because a referendum can only be called by Parliament and they won't call one for the foreseeable future. Twenty, if not fifty years and even then only when they're sure they'll win. The EU referendum doesn't change this.

The EU referendum doesn't change this.

It does depending on how next years GE turns out. If this STV Ipsos Mori poll anyway reflects the Scottish GE result, the SNP holds the balance of power at Westminster. All bets are off I think if Cameron gets back into power and the EU referendum goes ahead.

Plus, according to this poll, 66% of Scots want another referendum within 10 years, with 58% wanting one within five years.

It does depending on how next years GE turns out. If this STV Ipsos Mori poll anyway reflects the Scottish GE result, the SNP holds the balance of power at Westminster. All bets are off I think if Cameron gets back into power and the EU referendum goes ahead.

Plus, according to this poll, 66% of Scots want another referendum within 10 years, with 58% wanting one within five years.
    It's highly unlikely the SNP will hold the balance of power in Westminster. Even if they did al the other parties are ideologically opposed to Scottish breaking away. The EU referendum doesn't change this or make another vote more likely.

The EU referendum doesn't change this or make another vote more likely.

An interesting article from the FT in October 2013. The correspondent appears to be guessing about the future (up to now anyway) with a fair degree of accuracy it seems.
    The second mistake is to assume that a No to independence in the 2014 referendum would be the last word. It would be followed by an argument about the transfer of more powers and then, possibly, by a plebiscite on the EU. Assuming the SNP had won a decent share of the vote, eventual independence would remain an option.....

.....Were England to cut itself off from its own continent the intelligent response of Scots would be to swap union with a diminished England for independent membership of the EU. There lies an irony. Eurosceptics say they are marching in defence of a sovereign UK. Nothing could be more calculated to shatter the union of England with Scotland than Britain’s withdrawal from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The idea that Scotland would leave the union due to the outcome of the EU referendum is stupid.

All that is happening here is that the SNP are looking for a new angel.

Once they became the main party in Scotland they had to hold the referendum, that was part of their mandate.
    Now that it's over and they lost they need something else to make them relevant.
    And flying this EU flag seems to be it.

Anyone who thinks something is going to come of it is grasping at straws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You seem to forget that the majority of Scots wish to remain in the Union.

The Tories have to respect that.

They can't just ditch them.

Advertisement