Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive cost of soft drinks.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I have to say I have to be much more careful from now on. I will not be going to places that quite frankly take the piss.

The lunch we had was almost the same as two diet cokes for me. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Sneak in a bottle of diet coke next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I rarely drink soft drinks anyway and definitely don't at pub prices so I'm generally a bit stuck when it comes to non-drinking options in the pub. Tap water it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

I rarely drink soft drinks anyway and definitely don't at pub prices so I'm generally a bit stuck when it comes to non-drinking options in the pub. Tap water it is.
    For a larf, I'd love to get a load of friends and acquaintances to slowly enter an empty pub in one's and two's and everyone just order a nice pint of tap water...to see how it takes for the barman to explode in rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You know why the price is so high? Because gobshiites continue to pay no matter the price. Bunch of sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You know why the price is so high? Because gobshiites continue to pay no matter the price. Bunch of sheep.

If all beer was €6 a pint would you still buy it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If i'm driving i usually have a Mi Wadi. Never been charged for one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Super-Rush wrote: »

I flipping have. Made me break a 50 for it too! Stupidly handed over the 50 cos didn't want to look silly in front of people.
    Thank god I've changed my attitude since then and am quite happy looking like a muppet ordering tap water from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Wetherspoons will be a godsend into this country for non-drinkers. Pint of splash pepsi (that tastes grand because they maintain their equipment) for just over €2. Sick of paying nearly €6 for a pint of soft drink in most pubs (and more in some)

Search Boards and you'll find genuine threads about people being asked to leave a pub because they weren't paying for something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Super-Rush wrote: »

Don't go out in Dublin much do you?

I was charged €1 for a dash of red lemonade, that I didn't even get to pour myself. It's crazy that you get charged for a dash here, not done outside of Dublin in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wetherspoons will be a godsend into this country for non-drinkers. Pint of splash pepsi (that tastes grand because they maintain their equipment) for just over €2. Sick of paying nearly €6 for a pint of soft drink in most pubs (and more in some)

http://fft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-ROI-Menu_Page_2.jpg

398ml of Pepsi for 1.95.

So you get more, and pay less.

200ml bottles of Coca-Cola for 1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

soWas in spoons in ilkley few days ago, needless to say the irish version is what you would expect price wise, I.e off the wall compared to UK comparing alcohol prices. Took a look at image geuze posted. Double spirits only pound extra in UK, 3 bottles of sol and other bottles £5. Sixpoint cans £1.99...thats in a town known for its expensive drink over there, by their standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Why even buy a soft drink in a pub, they've ALWAYS been overpriced... just sneak in your own €1 bottle of whatever from Tesco's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Don't go out in Dublin much do you?

I was charged €1 for a dash of red lemonade, that I didn't even get to pour myself. It's crazy that you get charged for a dash here, not done outside of Dublin in my experience.

It's done in Meath also.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Find it bizzare how it costs €6.00 for a soft drink yet it only costs €5 for a Beer? No wonder this country turns to alcohol..

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Soft drinks are always warm in pubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Exactly, the bottles are not kept in the fridge with the ice cold beer, and god forbid you ask for a glass of ice with your coke :O

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Maybe we should start a campaign to reduce the rip off in this country....starting with the silly inflated prices of soft drinks in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lou.m wrote: »
    6€ for a diet coke is normal in some places now apparently It was a normal diet coke in a pub. I was raging.

I think that is excessive. :mad:

The national average price for beer is €4.67, but filling a pint glass with fizzy orange can cost upwards of a fiver.

The average price of mineral water per litre nationally is €9.44, compared with €7.92 for stout.

It's more expensive for non drinkers.

RIP OFF!

Just drink tap water in pubs.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just drink tap water in pubs.

You'd need to be a bit of a tight arse to sit in a pub all night drinking tap water.

awec wrote: »
    You'd need to be a bit of a tight arse to sit in a pub all night drinking tap water.

I dont see an issue with it really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

There's no reason for it.

2 publicans were on the last word with Matt Cooper a few weeks ago and when the question came up they stuttered and mumbled something about the cost of running a pub.

I'd say the profit margin on soft drinks is massive.

Caliden wrote: »
    There's no reason for it.

2 publicans were on the last word with Matt Cooper a few weeks ago and when the question came up they stuttered and mumbled something about the cost of running a pub.

It is, when I was doing ordering, the cost price worked out at under 30c for a pub size glass bottle (after you get the rebate for returning the bottle)

It is, when I was doing ordering, the cost price worked out at under 30c for a pub size glass bottle (after you get the rebate for returning the bottle)

When was that?

Terry Pratchet

Caliden wrote: »
    The typical markup on a 200ml soft drink bottle in a pub is 400%. If you're paying €2.50 the cost will be €0.50.

When was that?

Its about 2 years ago in fairness, but I doubt its changed much

Advertisement