Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive cost of soft drinks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

€6 for a pint of Club Orange I was charged recently. Was either that or drink tap water.

Snippet of a recent TV report on the nonsense:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So much for catering to designated drivers and safer roadways eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Overheal wrote: »
    So much for catering to designated drivers and safer roadways eh?

That's a fair point. I was coming from the 'Man, I want a Pepsi with dinner' - but there are more serious implications for designated drivers.

At a pub, no way could I justify paying these prices for a soft-drink. I'd be inclined to just get a pint and 'pace myself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

According to the old minister of health we should be paying more for fizzy drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

UCDVet wrote: »
    That's a fair point. I was coming from the 'Man, I want a Pepsi with dinner' - but there are more serious implications for designated drivers.

At a pub, no way could I justify paying these prices for a soft-drink. I'd be inclined to just get a pint and 'pace myself'.

Who drinks Pepsi? Muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

That vfi guy was so typical of the delusional pub trade, gouging gits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Who drinks Pepsi? Muck.

Dangerous muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Dangerous muck.

Being alive can cause cancer .... If i had a cent for everything the papers scientists reckon gives you cancer..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Being alive can cause cancer .... If i had a cent for everything the papers scientists reckon gives you cancer..

You could afford a soft drink in a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

I imagine it's because most people not drinking alcohol would never be able to sit there drinking 6+ pints of soft drinks with their alcohol drinking buddies...so they want as much money as possible for the few soft drinks that are bought. It's very cheeky.

The place I play snooker in has a bar that sells pints of beer for €5.20 BUT it's just €1.50 for 33cl cans of soft drinks...poured into pint glasses with ice for you. The way it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Sorry but where are ye all paying these ridiculous prices in Dublin? I drink soft drinks out all the time and while yeah I consider them expensive, they're around €3 a bottle. Who is charging €6!?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

For the past few years, you can get three FREE cokes during mid-November to the 1st of January...

A lot of places do it.. http://www.DesignatedDriver.ie/

Being alive can cause cancer

Technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

The excessive price of soft drinks is especially for certain tourists who come in groups sit in a pub and nurse ONE coke between them for 3 hours while availing of the free music session goin on

monflat wrote: »
    The excessive price of soft drinks is especially for certain tourists who come in groups sit in a pub and nurse ONE coke between them for 3 hours while availing of the free music session goin on

Yes yes the spanish student thing that made me go ape**** thinking Ireland was populated by bigoted indigenous douchenozzles.

If places are concerned about it they can always impose a door charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Sorry but where are ye all paying these ridiculous prices in Dublin? I drink soft drinks out all the time and while yeah I consider them expensive, they're around €3 a bottle. Who is charging €6!?

Nobody mentioned 6 euro a bottle :p

It's for 6 for a pint of coke or a rock shandy, examples like that

Yes yes the spanish student thing that made me go ape**** thinking Ireland was populated by bigoted indigenous douchenozzles.

If places are concerned about it they can always impose a door charge.

That would annoy alcohol drinking folk who are only willing to pay into somewhere that opens late.

That would annoy alcohol drinking folk who are only willing to pay into somewhere that opens late.

then change the policy to max 2 people sharing a drink or something, hell idk

then change the policy to max 2 people sharing a drink or something, hell idk

You'll struggle to find anyone that does.
    The only option (and it's not possible) is for pub owners to stop charging extortionate amounts for soft drinks.
    My uncle was telling me that the Old Dubliner was charging 2 or 3 euro for a dash of cordial!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Lou.m wrote: »
    I think that is excessive.

The national average price for beer is €4.67, but filling a pint glass with fizzy orange can cost upwards of a fiver.

A pint of orange? :D

• Advertisement

How about it is 15 big ones in per person but you get a token for 2-3 drinks and more for soft drinks? *you* get your money back in no time and cheapskates will either not bother going in or obviously get the drinks to get their money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

When working in a bar/nightclub I used to be extremely embarrassed to ask for €3 for a 200 ml of coke. And €5 for a red bull? I used to sympathise with the customers. I felt dirty when telling them the price.

The thing is, the same pubs are charging this and they are getting away with it. The pub I used to work in was wall to wall packed every weekend. I don't agree with it in the slightest but people vote with their feet.

When working in a bar/nightclub I used to be extremely embarrassed to ask for €3 for a 200 ml of coke. And €5 for a red bull? I used to sympathise with the customers. I felt dirty when telling them the price.

The thing is, the same pubs are charging this and they are getting away with it. The pub I used to work in was wall to wall packed every weekend. I don't agree with it in the slightest but people vote with their feet.

And lobby to stop us drinking at home. Neck of some TD's in the oireachtas, saying we need to be incentivised to go back to the pub. Because drinking at home their is no one to say you have had enough. That made my blood boil. Basically wanting supermarket and off-licence prices put up again to make it cheaper to go drink in the pub.

KungPao wrote: »
    How about it is 15 big ones in per person but you get a token for 2-3 drinks and more for soft drinks? *you* get your money back in no time and cheapskates will either not bother going in or obviously get the drinks to get their money's worth.

Ah here, I don't want any real ideas!!!
    The OP should be paying attention to those!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I bought 6 bottled of Bavaria 0% alcohol in Dunnes the other day. It came to over €6 for 6 33cl bottles. Absolutely ridiculous considering there is no tax on non alcoholic drink :confused: .

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned 6 euro a bottle :p

It's for 6 for a pint of coke or a rock shandy, examples like that

Ah ok. Well that's about regular so. I think 3.10 is the most I've been charged for a bottle. It is a ridiculous price for the product you have but it's not just for the drink, you're paying for the services of the place, which I always put at around 2 or 2.50.

What I think is also ridiculous in pubs is the difference between what they'll charge for a half pint versus a pint.

yoyo wrote: »
    I bought 6 bottled of Bavaria 0% alcohol in Dunnes the other day. It came to over €6 for 6 33cl bottles. Absolutely ridiculous considering there is no tax on non alcoholic drink :confused: .

Nick

Would that be the not drinking alcohol tax :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Would that be the not drinking alcohol tax :P

Not for me ;) . A driver visiting wanted a few n/a bevvies, wouldn't touch the sh*te myself ;) . got 8 cans of the proper stuff for a tenner

Nick

Ah here, I don't want any real ideas!!!
    The OP should be paying attention to those!
    I'm sure I've seen this practice in action somewhere. One has to buy say 2 drinks tokens on the way in. No leeches allowed. Fair enough if there is entertainment on. Ideally this would reduce the cost of soft drinks (at least) as the pub is guaranteed higher sales (in theory), but I wouldn't hold my breath for that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The two top profit margin items in a typical pub are (1) mixers and (2) soft drinks. They make a fortune on both with the typical markup on a 200ml bottle being around 400% compared to 100% on pints of beer. The pricing model seems to expect to make a similar amount of money from drinks regardless of what margin they need to impose.

Mixers and soft drinks are also by far the easiest items to operate a tax skim on. Pick some of your stock for cash then remove the turnover for those ones before you do your books. Lower the margins there and it becomes a lot more awkward to do this easily. Not that any publican would do something like that...

Advertisement