Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive cost of soft drinks.

Options
  • 05-08-2014 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

6€ for a diet coke is normal in some places now apparently It was a normal diet coke in a pub. I was raging.

I think that is excessive. :mad:

The national average price for beer is €4.67, but filling a pint glass with fizzy orange can cost upwards of a fiver.

The average price of mineral water per litre nationally is €9.44, compared with €7.92 for stout.

It's more expensive for non drinkers.

RIP OFF!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

It's mostly always Ice anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I find that the less I buy soft drinks in a pub, the less the price of them annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

So better off drinking alcohol then?, how will we ever adapt....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Whats worse is when you include people drinking soft drinks in a round and they seem to think soft drinks don't count and they shouldn't have to buy a round back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It's so you won't not drink again.

You will just say **** buying the 1 7up, I might as well drink 2 or 3 pints.

So now your spending 15 instead of 5. Make sense.

Economics yo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

ScumLord wrote: »
    Whats worse is when you include people drinking soft drinks in a round and they seem to think soft drinks don't count and they shouldn't have to buy a round back.

SCUMBAGS, OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Will be worse when the sugar tax comes a knocking, Poor publicans have to raise prices because of our cheap drink in off-licences. Even though our drink is the 2nd most expensive in the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Blackcurrant MiWadi and red lemonade ftw

Will be worse when the sugar tax comes a knocking, Poor publicans have to raise prices because of our cheap drink in off-licences. Even though our drink is the 2nd most expensive in the EU

Ha....serious?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ha....serious?

Yup just a few threads on boards about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ha....serious?

The poor publicans will lobby the government to have shops close at 10pm. Otherwise we'll have people buying lucozade just to drink at home. Could you imagine how that would affect their business?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

we been screwed left right and centre for anything , if everyone ordered miwadi instead of soft drinks the price would rocket

Yup just a few threads on boards about it.

I wish they'd get it over with and just start taxing air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

OP I hope you complained to management and / or refused to pay!
    Those prices are a complete joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The price of rock shandys would drive a man to drink :(

kingtut wrote: »

You have to make up for all them designated drivers not drinking pints some how. :pac:

I never pay for soft drinks in a pub (unless they come with vodka or rum in them!) as the prices are pretty ridiculous. If I'm in a pub and not drinking alcohol then I just stick to tap water.

Outside of the pub though, one thing I noticed in other European countries (Germany and Switzerland in particular) is that 500 ml bottles of soft drinks seem to be ridiculously expensive - €2 and upwards seems to be the normal price. In Munich I could buy a bottle of beer for cheaper than a bottle of Coke, which struck me as a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My local has switched entirely to cans of soft drinks. They asked a good few people would they mind not getting a bottle and everyone said if the price stayed the same, which it did, then getting more in a can was better. So now it's €2 or so for a 330ml can instead of a 180ml or 220ml or whatever bottle. People drinking shorts can share a can, and people drinking soft drinks get more for their money.

Of course this is a successful local that looks after its customers with deals so I can only imagine the rip off places up'ing the prices should they ever switch to cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

The most I've paid is 10 euro for a small bottle of coke in Norway :O

So Ireland seems super cheap now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You make it sound like it was a move to look after loyal customers

The publican is likely making even more profit from the cans which can be bought cheaper then the bottles. You can get cans easily, the bottles have to come from a distributor

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

We usually pre drink in someones apartment, stockpiles of 7up, club orange and coke. I down 2 litres of coke before I even hit the pub. One glass of coke keeps me ticking over then for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Bring back the splash!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

We usually pre drink in someones apartment, stockpiles of 7up, club orange and coke. I down 2 litres of coke before I even hit the pub. One glass of coke keeps me ticking over then for a few hours.

We just smuggle in 2 litres of Club orange in the wife's handbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Pay for over priced drink or get 3 cans of vanilla coke for €1.50 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

kingtut wrote: »

I was embarrassed to. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You make it sound like it was a move to look after loyal customers

The publican is likely making even more profit from the cans which can be bought cheaper then the bottles. You can get cans easily, the bottles have to come from a distributor

Well, considering we asked for it. And the barman asked the boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Soft-drink prices are the reason I stopped eating out in Dublin. It's absolute madness. The food itself is reasonably priced, not cheap, but fair enough. I'd take my wife out for dinner and I'd have two cokes, she'd have one, then the bill comes and we've paid 12-15 quid for Coke. Usually warm coke at that.

For comparison, it's about 5-6 times more expensive than the same drink you'd get in the US. Insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Whats more annoying is that frown you get when you say "just water" when ordering food from some young wan who things you should be buying drink with your food. Had some young pr**k in Milano's tell me they don't do tap water..........wasn't long before he brought me my glass of freshly poured tap water.

Am I correct in that there is a law that eating establishments HAVE to give you tap water with your dinner??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

UCDVet wrote: »
    Soft-drink prices are the reason I stopped eating out in Dublin. It's absolute madness. The food itself is reasonably priced, not cheap, but fair enough. I'd take my wife out for dinner and I'd have two cokes, she'd have one, then the bill comes and we've paid 12-15 quid for Coke. Usually warm coke at that.

For comparison, it's about 5-6 times more expensive than the same drink you'd get in the US. Insanity.
    I was fierce bemused in the US when I discovered so many places let you serve yourself the drinks and you could refill a few times over without them giving a ****. Kept going over to ask if it was okay and all.

Honestly though, at 6 euro or whatever, I'd just drink water for the night. Maybe start bringing some of those tablet things that add flavour to it or something if I wanted it to have some kind of taste.

Isn't the point of the crazy price so that you don't manage to get off not having to buy your non drinking friend a drink in a round anyways and they get dragged into the whole expensive rounds buying thing too? The amount of money my dad used to have waste on buying his whole family of teetotallers 7up at weddings/etc was insane.

Advertisement