Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So that's a "No" to anyone having tried Real Survivor mode in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Some growing pains playing, it's so different to any other gaming experience, not finding it particularly enjoyable yet. (an hour playing time). Even though I loved them when I was a child, not sure my adult self appreciates it (yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ugh, hunters. Forgot about those ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I was always into Silent Hill more then Resident Evil so the inventory system in this is a bit of a shock to the system, I was so used to being able to carry all of the keys and puzzle items at once.

Did someone mention there was a mod that removed the door-opening scenes?

• Advertisement

Also I just found out that Chris has only 6 inventory slots. I won't go on about this anymore but... WTF. Horrific game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Also I just found out that Chris has only 6 inventory slots. I won't go on about this anymore but... WTF. Horrific game design.

How is it horrific game design ? Its a game mechanic to make you plan your way true the game and not just pick up everything you see. It won't suit some people because they are so used to having 'deep pockets' they can't adjust to this and struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah, playing with Chris used to be the 'hard mode'.
    Not because of enemies or health, but because you couldn't carry as much, didn't have a lock pick, and your 'support' character wasn't as supportive.
    A refreshing break from the typical take on a 'hard' mode.

Also, afaik, the door mod is on the pc pinky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yeah, playing with Chris used to be the 'hard mode'.
    Not because of enemies or health, but because you couldn't carry as much, didn't have a lock pick, and your 'support' character wasn't as supportive.
    A refreshing break from the typical take on a 'hard' mode.

Also, afaik, the door mod is on the pc pinky.

I think it was harder playing with Chris in the original myself but I don't think it was supposed to be the 'hard mode' because Chris could definitely take more damage.

I think the two playthroughs were designed to be equally as difficult but they got the balance all wrong and the Jill side was significantly easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is this worth buying at 20 or just wait for the inevitable freebies with gold

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How is it horrific game design ? Its a game mechanic to make you plan your way true the game and not just pick up everything you see. It won't suit some people because they are so used to having 'deep pockets' they can't adjust to this and struggle.

The back tracking involved with 8 slots just isn't enjoyable in the slightest. 6 slots must be ridiculous. I have a feeling this game is going to be twice as long as it needs to be as a result. After a quick Google, I'm not the only person to think this is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It seems to be selling quite well so I wouldn't expect to see it on gold for a good while.
    horrific game design
    There is an achievement for finishing the game in three hours so again, with proper planning you don't have to do back track at all.
    Look up a speed guide and it will show you how to do it.

A speed guide on my first play through? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

A speed guide on my first play through? Really?

I don't think he's suggesting it for your first playthrough but something you could try if you ever replay it which I can't imagine is a very strong possibility…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Got it on PC for 12, wasn't paying 20 on a console version....

Don't see it being free for a long time... (if ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,276 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The back tracking involved with 8 slots just isn't enjoyable in the slightest. 6 slots must be ridiculous. I have a feeling this game is going to be twice as long as it needs to be as a result. After a quick Google, I'm not the only person to think this is an issue.

It is quite intentional - you seem to think it is some mistake a game developer made back in the day.

As Chris, the aim should be to carry the shotgun and a key really. Possibly shells if you have them.

I thought he had more HP btw? I am also sure he had more magnum rounds in his playthrough on the PS1 (although obviously no grenade launcher/ rounds). Not having to keep a slot for the lighter is useful though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Chris's playthrough is seen as the harder one in the game. He has different weapons to Jill and with 6 slots you have to plan an awful lot more than with Jill. If you want to avoid backtracking, man up and plan better.

noodler wrote: »
    It is quite intentional - you seem to think it is some mistake a game developer made back in the day.

As Chris, the aim should be to carry the shotgun and a key really. Possibly shells if you have them.

I thought he had more HP btw? I am also sure he had more magnum rounds in his playthrough on the PS1 (although obviously no grenade launcher/ rounds). Not having to keep a slot for the lighter is useful though.

Plenty have games have adopted a style where key items are put in a bottomless backpack. I think the developers did make a mistake, it was an error in their collective judgement. 6 slots, or even 4 slots, if you don't include the key items would make perfect sense to me as a constraint to influence the difficulty level.

Anyway I'm going to stop ranting about this, but I'm clearly not alone after looking at some reviews.

Plenty have games have adopted a style where key items are put in a bottomless backpack. I think the developers did make a mistake, it was an error in their collective judgement. 6 slots, or even 4 slots, if you don't include the key items would make perfect sense to me as a constraint to influence the difficulty level.

Anyway I'm going to stop ranting about this, but I'm clearly not alone after looking at some reviews.

Well, you don't like it but they didn't do it by accident in that or subsequent games.

Can I ask were you old enough to play the original or what your first console was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Out of curiosity, did you play it originally when it came out 18-19 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

God forbid a game requires you to plan ahead and actually use your head instead of holding your hand the entire way.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have played every Res Evil that was released, even the bad ones. Is this worth buying guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

logik wrote: »
    I have played every Res Evil that was released, even the bad ones. Is this worth buying guys?

I played RE 1 and RE1 Director cut on PS1, never played the GC version so this was a definite for me....

I want my lads to play it, but "it's boring" according to the kids of today.... :(

They need their hand held with tutorials these days....

logik wrote: »

If you haven't played the GC remake then definitely.

15e might have been a fairer price in all honesty but still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

15e might have been a fairer price in all honesty but still very good.

There is good bit of replayability if want to get all the endings and weapon unlocks.

That said you can finish this in 2hrs when you unlock the rocket launcher.

Comparing this to what has happened to the series with Res6 is shocking though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Chris should be a lot easier now you have beaten it with Jill and have an idea what items to bring with you.

Well, you don't like it but they didn't do it by accident in that or subsequent games.

Can I ask were you old enough to play the original or what your first console was?
    Out of curiosity, did you play it originally when it came out 18-19 years ago?

Is this relevant? Surely if a game is that good, it should be able to stand on its own two feet regardless of my point of reference. This could be interpreted as "Are you blinded by nostalgia?" :pac:

To answer your question, the NES was my first console. I played bits of RE1/2 in a friends since I went for the N64 back in the day.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    God forbid a game requires you to plan ahead and actually use your head instead of holding your hand the entire way.

:rolleyes:

I think you're projecting your image of modern gaming on me here. I never said I wanted my hand to be held. I detest unavoidable tutorials in any game. I also detest unnecessary backtracking. I'm not sure how I could have planned to take the wooden emblem or the red unprinted book or the broken shotgun or the herbicide or the wind crest with me without having telepathic knowledge of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You know after. Res Evil 1 is not a game you play once and that's it like games of today. Back then games were made to be mastered, in so, lasting a good while.

I remember replaying Ace Combat 5 on the PS2 over and over to unlock all 53 fighters in the game and branch the storyline each was to do it and then get S ranks in all 35 + missions. Good times and I got my value for money from it.
    It's a game I'd love to see get the HD treatment, along with 4 and zero.

• Advertisement

Is this relevant? Surely if a game is that good, it should be able to stand on its own two feet regardless of my point of reference. This could be interpreted as "Are you blinded by nostalgia?" :pac:

The might just not be for you, doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Advertisement