Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish families can't put food on the table"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

so what do you suggest instead of education?

Some kind of Crystal Maze type dealy but with lava and stuff for people to fall into rather than water. To be conducted once every five years. Whomever we lose, we lose. Trim the herd, cut the fat, lose the dead weight, master out the superfluous and unnecessary guitar licks, burn the dead wood, and many other similar idioms that can be found in my upcoming e-book "The Big Book of Idioms What are Kinda Idioms for People Falling Into the Lava in the Crystal Maze Type Dealy.".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Shure aren't they "entitled" to enjoy themselves?

Shure what's the point in living if you can have a few pints at the weekend?

/sends kids to school with no lunch again

We always send them to school with no lunch - it teaches them to forage. They're like little Bear Grylls at this stage. Anyway, lunch is for cissies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

"Ah sure Pot Noodles are tasty enough son, go ahead and boil the kettle while I go get 40 benson and a slab of cans for me and your mam"

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    "Ah sure Pot Noodles are tasty enough son, go ahead and boil the kettle while I go get 40 benson and a slab of cans for me and your mam"

Pot Noodle? Ohh, posh you. We had to make do with Koka.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Pot Noodle? Ohh, posh you. We had to make do with Koka.

Haha if only I thought of that, equally dirt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

strobe wrote: »
    Some kind of Crystal Maze type dealy but with lava and stuff for people to fall into rather than water. To be conducted once every five years. Whomever we lose, we lose. Trim the herd, cut the fat, lose the dead weight, master out the superfluous and unnecessary guitar licks, burn the dead wood, and many other similar idioms that can be found in my upcoming e-book "The Big Book of Idioms What are Kinda Idioms for People Falling Into the Lava in the Crystal Maze Type Dealy.".

Not a bad idea in some ways....:)

Whilst Lennylou's points regarding the quality of modern Home Ec are very valid,one of the major issues is persuading many students to remain engagded with the Education "system" long enough for it to percolate down.

In many cases the very children who stand to benefit most from the modern H.E. syllabus,are those who bale out at the first opportunity to enter a very differently focused parallell "system" :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

so what do you suggest instead of education?

Increase the lower rate of tax, but provide grocery tax credits, so people are encouraged to buy good food from supermarkets / delicatessens etc. Cannot be redeemed against convenience foods.

Repeat the same thing in some manner with social welfare payments.

Yes, it's nanny state, but nanny knows best . . . .

SVJKarate wrote: »
    Increase the lower rate of tax, but provide grocery tax credits, so people are encouraged to buy good food from supermarkets / delicatessens etc. Cannot be redeemed against convenience foods.

Repeat the same thing in some manner with social welfare payments.

Yes, it's nanny state, but nanny knows best . . . .

They could be called "Food stamps.." Usa them to buy stuff people need to survive...survive being the key word..

Advertisement