Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish families can't put food on the table"

Options
  • 05-08-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Looking at this research, I can't understand why.

Link.

Maybe we are the biggest moaners in the world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Away with your dodgy links.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe they have a table with long legs and they have short arms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

"Irish families can't put food on the table"

Most families now eat with their food on their knees, in front of the TV.

Tables are so 80's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who's moaning OP ?

I can't remember the last time I put food on my own table either.

I either eat in front of the TV or eat out.

My kitchen table is a handy extra open air storage unit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Maybe they should work on their hand-eye coordination

• Advertisement

OK it's Tuesday after a long weekend. My brain may not be fully engaged as of yet but sure I'll ask anyway.....

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Looking at this research, I can't understand why.

Link.

Maybe the cost of clothes,rent,transport is high here.Also the figures are averages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

According to that link they all eat like kings in Belarus the poorest country in Europe! So we should give everything away and we too can eat like kings!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Can't or Won't?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If they can't put food on the table it's generally because they spend money on junk food with no nutritional value. Go down to your local green grocer and butcher, you'd feed a family of 4 for the week for the same amount they'd spend on one takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Those fat Azerbaijani bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Most people I know who complain about money trouble are just unable to budget. I'm sure there are some who are having trouble but for a lot of people they just rather complain than change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

TheZohan wrote: »
    If they can't put food on the table it's generally because they spend money on junk food with no nutritional value. Go down to your local green grocer and butcher, you'd feed a family of 4 for the week for the same amount they'd spend on one takeaway.

That's pretty sweeping as generalisation of comments go & I'd love to see your facts on it.

Irish people are not instructed how to budget in school, where to get the best value & how to use lower cost cuts of meats etc.

People don't eat enough tripe heart liver tongue and mickey anymore:D

OU812 wrote: »
    That's pretty sweeping as generalisation of comments go & I'd love to see your facts on it.

Irish people are not instructed how to budget in school, where to get the best value & how to use lower cost cuts of meats etc.

That should be just common sense, you shouldn't have to be taught everything in school.

There are people who can't put food on the table here, even with budgeting. It's just not half as widespread as the Daily Mail would have you believe. Don't particularly like the attitude of TheZohan's comment but I'd imagine that is the kind of situation that is considered "living below the breadline".

Seriously what instruction is required? It is the most basic of common sense so what you are saying is they the current and following generations are educationally retarded to such a degree they can't even feed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maybe they should work on their hand-eye coordination
    And stop putting butter on their fingers!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    People don't eat enough tripe heart liver tongue and mickey anymore:D

I would wager I know a few that do :pac:

Most people I know who complain about money trouble are just unable to budget. I'm sure there are some who are having trouble but for a lot of people they just rather complain than change.
    Oh I've no money, I'm so poor *while sucking on a John Player Blue, eating Dominoes and watching Sky Sports Super Mega HD 3D with Super Surround Sound*

Seriously what instruction is required? It is the most basic of common sense so what you are saying is they the current and following generations are educationally retarded to such a degree they can't even feed themselves.

Generation "Mammy looks after me" TBH there should be a mandatory class in Transition year that includes Cooking, budgeting, cleaning, basic maintenance.

• Advertisement

Generation "Mammy looks after me" TBH there should be a mandatory class in Transition year that includes Cooking, budgeting, cleaning, basic maintenance.
    Or ditch Religion and for 1-3 year make Home Economics a standard. Seriously, the days of "Sure I wouldn't know anything about that kind of thing - I'm not a woman" are on their last legs, in this part of the world anyway. I'm a bloke and did it back in the 90s, was a good laugh, easy enough and I learned lots of things from cooking to budgeting to wiring a plug! Very useful subject I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

Never underestimate just how dumb people can be...

I think what the problem is, is that people in their 20s/30s now were kids when the country was experiencing some prosperity & at the same time, the home economics program in school became a choice rather than a mandatory part of the curriculum.

As a result, they've never had to budget & never learned to cook from scratch (I've a lot of friends younger than me, but still in their mid 30s who have no idea how to make a decent meal from scratch). They're also used to pizza & chinese/indian on demand...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

That should be just common sense, you shouldn't have to be taught everything in school.

Perhaps it should be, but there's no doubt that it is not a skill that comes easily to people. Budgeting to run a home is a discipline, and not everyone has the skill or determination to do this effectively. Moreover not everyone has the willpower to put their priorities in order, hence you'll see some 'poor' families can have bad diets (expensive and unhealthy take-aways) coupled with bad habits (smoking, excessive drinking) which displaces food as a priority in their spending.

In fairness, budgeting is taught in some Domestic Science classes (sorry if that is not the current subject name) but it should really be taught at a much younger age and again in more detail when students are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭RoboRat

and not everyone has the skill or determination to do this effectively

Nice way of saying lazy and can't be bothered.

I was never taught to cook or budget but guess what, I figured it out. Its basic common sense. If you can't be bothered to budget or learn simple cooking techniques, then why should I be bothered to be concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

People these days want food instantly handed to them with minimal effort.

It doesn't take much longer to make a meal from scratch than to order/wait for a delivery. Cheaper & healthier to make your own. People are always quick to point the blame at their own inadequacies somewhere else.

I live on my own & make a big batch of lasagne, shepherds pie & freeze it in portions. Weeks worth of meals made in less than an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tomorrow:
    Table-making factory closes down due to lack of demand

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Here , hang on a second:

Before we go putting forward reasons, solutions, critcism and so forth, has anyone actually proven the point the OP made? Does anyone know what the point made was in the first place?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Here , hang on a second:

Before we go putting forward reasons, solutions, critcism and so forth, has anyone actually proven the point the OP made? Does anyone know what the point made was in the first place?
    I think he has a table with a wonky leg or someit.

SVJKarate wrote: »
    Perhaps it should be, but there's no doubt that it is not a skill that comes easily to people. Budgeting to run a home is a discipline, and not everyone has the skill or determination to do this effectively. Moreover not everyone has the willpower to put their priorities in order, hence you'll see some 'poor' families can have bad diets (expensive and unhealthy take-aways) coupled with bad habits (smoking, excessive drinking) which displaces food as a priority in their spending.

In fairness, budgeting is taught in some Domestic Science classes (sorry if that is not the current subject name) but it should really be taught at a much younger age and again in more detail when students are older.

It wouldn't hurt to educate people on how to run a house from a young age I suppose, but I think when faced with reality anyone with half a brain should be able to be disciplined enough to at least be able to provide themselves and their families with the necessities.
    Never underestimate just how dumb people can be...

I think what the problem is, is that people in their 20s/30s now were kids when the country was experiencing some prosperity & at the same time, the home economics program in school became a choice rather than a mandatory part of the curriculum.

As a result, they've never had to budget & never learned to cook from scratch (I've a lot of friends younger than me, but still in their mid 30s who have no idea how to make a decent meal from scratch). They're also used to pizza & chinese/indian on demand...

No disrespect, but to be honest I think the whole "Celtic Tiger generation being unable to look after themselves" argument is just nonsense. I can safely say 90% of people I know of a similar age to me (~18-21) could look after themselves on their own easily without needing to order takeaways etc. Of course there's a few useless lads out there whose mammy's do everything for them but I imagine that was always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Here , hang on a second:

I think he's trying to say that pleading poverty as an excuse for malnutrition holds little water because food is so cheap.... and malnutrition rates quite low.

Advertisement