Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish families can't put food on the table"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

OU812 wrote: »

Irish people are not instructed how to budget in school, where to get the best value & how to use lower cost cuts of meats etc.

Neither were my parents, but they still managed it, and managed to teach us how to do it. Why is everything the responsiblity of the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think he's trying to say that pleading poverty as an excuse for malnutrition holds little water because food is so cheap.... and malnutrition rates quite low.

This is my point: his thread title hasn't been proven, he hasn't linked to any relevant research and yet people are already running around making excuses and finger-pointing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Is it just me or is the entire premise of this thread flawed?

Doesn't the link point to a representation of the % of income each country spends on food?

So this just basically illustrates that Ireland is a country with a better than average level of income, along with the entire developed world, and therefore spend a lower overall percentage of their annual income on food.

Is the op trying to suggest this graph shows we are poor or something?

If you are over in Pakistan where the average income is maybe a couple of hundred euro, it's no wonder you spend a large portion of your income on food and have a malnutrition level of 45%

Should have gone to specsavers op!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

This is my point: his thread title hasn't been proven, he hasn't linked to any relevant research and yet people are already running around making excuses and finger-pointing.

Indeed, all it shows is that countries that spend proportionately the least on food have the lowest levels of malnutrition.

Not much to editorialise on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

IMO, OP is a hero.

His post is self-editorialised to make all the sheeple think about what he's saying! It's even hinted at in his user-name.

Thread of the day.

Edit: the irony of accusing people of finger-pointing, with fingers covered in butter! ha!

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    IMO, OP is a hero.

His post is self-editorialised to make all the sheeple think about what he's saying! It's even hinted at in his user-name.

Thread of the day.

Edit: the irony of accusing people of finger-pointing, with fingers covered in butter! ha!

Except people are not thinking about it - we're thying to work out what we're suppose to be thinking about.

It's more a case of a subtly loaded question: he'd made a statement of opinion and people are taking it as fact.

It's more a case of a subtly loaded question: he'd made a statement of opinion and people are taking it as fact.

In that case wouldn't you agree that the OP is generating a uniquely provocative thread?!

Think about it!!!!

In that case wouldn't you agree that the OP is generating a uniquely provocative thread?!

Think about it!!!!

Uniquey surreal, maybe, but not provocative.

But don't get me wrong - I like surrealism :D!

(And you'll notice we're not talking or thinking about whatever it was that the OP wanted us to talk about...)

(And you'll notice we're not talking or thinking about whatever it was that the OP wanted us to talk about...)

Maybe we are? Eh? Eh?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Clearly what the OP is saying is that so many people make the claim that there are hundreds of thousands of Irish people struggling to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads, but the link provided shows that food costs are low in comparison to overall incomes. Therefore the claim that there is a significant no. of families in that level of poverty in Ireland appears fallacious.

• Advertisement

Maybe we are? Eh? Eh?!!

Don't be silly. We can't feed starving Irish families on sureal discussions.:pac:

It's his first post in a month, he posted an incoherent opening post, his research links to somehting completely irrelevant and he hasn't been back since. there's only one solution.

He's a jounalist who has to have an artilce on the table by 5pm and he has no idea how to research it.

Well, we can't when the likes of Seamus up there interrupts us with pesky facts!

seamus wrote: »
    Clearly what the OP is saying is that so many people make the claim that there are hundreds of thousands of Irish people struggling to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads, but the link provided shows that food costs are low in comparison to overall incomes. Therefore the claim that there is a significant no. of families in that level of poverty in Ireland appears fallacious.

But where does he establish his claim that anyone ever said that Irish people can;t put food on the table, or that that percentage is even across all incomes and classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

That's pretty sweeping as generalisation of comments go & I'd love to see your facts on it.

Irish people are not instructed how to budget in school, where to get the best value & how to use lower cost cuts of meats etc.
    You can't expect Irish people to eat lower cuts of meat can you?! After all they're ENTITLED to eat the best cuts of meat even if they don't have a job and if they can't afford it then the government must be at fault. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In whcih societal class? If the rich are spending very little on food and the poor are spending a lot, it proves nothing.
    Averaged across the entire country.

If the average household spends 7.5% of their income on food, then that's on average around €4,250 per year. Even if an individual with no other income than the JSA were to spend that amount (however, note it's a household average), then it would be ~44% of their income. However an individual would spend less than the average, and nobody claims the JSA and nothing else.

In a country with massive social supports like Ireland, worrying about classes and the spending of the rich is irrelevant when it comes to averaged amounts since the income of those bringing in the least is bouyed when incomes across the board rise. Unlike in the US where wealthier people can earn more while poor people earn less, social welfare and minimum wage provides a floor in incomes, which rises as average incomes rise.

The argument in the OP is that this data provides a counter-indication to the idea that there are people going barefoot and hungry in Ireland due to low incomes and high costs.

If the average household spends 7.5% of their income on food, then that's on average around €4,250 per year. Even if an individual with no other income than the JSA were to spend that amount (however, note it's a household average), then it would be ~44% of their income. However an individual would spend less than the average, and nobody claims the JSA and nothing else.

In a country with massive social supports like Ireland, worrying about classes and the spending of the rich is irrelevant when it comes to averaged amounts since the income of those bringing in the least is bouyed when incomes across the board rise. Unlike in the US where wealthier people can earn more while poor people earn less, social welfare and minimum wage provides a floor in incomes, which rises as average incomes rise.

The argument in the OP is that this data provides a counter-indication to the idea that there are people going barefoot and hungry in Ireland due to low incomes and high costs.

I know, I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here - but my point is that not every household is paying 7% of their income on food.

My previous point was that it's still a very badly put together and vague OP, despite what Catallus said. (And I still think he's a journalist and won;t be returning to the discussion)

I'm not a journalist, and I'm right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I beg to differ sir.

I have claimed JSA and nothing else ... in the past ... when I was unemployed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

We just got new sofas, so we pulled out the table and dusted it off. We will be eating at the table for awhile until we get fed up and then back to the sofa, with the food on the lap, watching TV. Hey, maybe someone should tell them you don't need a table to eat?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You can't expect Irish people to eat lower cuts of meat can you?! After all they're ENTITLED to eat the best cuts of meat even if they don't have a job and if they can't afford it then the government must be at fault. :rolleyes:

excuse me ... i like my lobster for my dinner. poxy gubbermint and their taxes, now where is my dole card gone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

"Can't put food on the table"

Often said by parents that smoke 20 fags a day and love their Saturday night on the lash.

Priorities people....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    well its the governments responsibility to create in envirmont

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

That's pretty sweeping as generalisation of comments go & I'd love to see your facts on it.

Yes they are instructed - modern day Home Economics class teaches both male and female students how to prepare and cook dishes suitable for families/students/elderly/budget meals.... emphasis on buying/storing and home freezing enables students to carry forth this knowledge to when they themselves have to live and cope in society.
    Also most classes research the unit price of the dish cooked in class down to per portion and students always analyse the nutrients in the dish and then identify the functions of these nutrients in their body. This I have taught for 11 years. In Junior Cert cycle students are taught about the tougher cuts of meat that can be cooked slowly and bought cheaply yet with good protein value!

Believe me, this subject has come on along way since the days of female-only classes sitting around knitting socks and baking apple tarts in the mid 80's! It is a shame that this subject is not compulsory to Leaving Cert- it teaches the most basic skills of being a discerning consumer!

oceanman wrote: »
    well its the governments responsibility to create in envirmont

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

Believe me, this subject has come on along way since the days of female-only classes sitting around knitting socks and baking apple tarts in the mid 80's! It is a shame that this subject is not compulsory to Leaving Cert- it teaches the most basic skills of being a discerning consumer!

Indeed. Isn't it just a bit bizarre that it's compulsory to learn a language that isn't spoken anywhere (without grant incentive) but it's optional to learn the skills that could improve the average health of the nation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    "Can't put food on the table"

Often said by parents that smoke 20 fags a day and love their Saturday night on the lash.

Priorities people....

Shure aren't they "entitled" to enjoy themselves?

Shure what's the point in living if you can have a few pints at the weekend?

/sends kids to school with no lunch again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I think people are far too optimistic about the power of 'educating people' in regards to this kind of thing, budgeting, healthy living, responsible alcohol use, etc etc etc.

I really really don't think it's the case that people are simply running around like blubbering morons unaware that, or unable to comprehend that, cancelling sky would leave them E80 a month extra for food, or that it's cheaper to buy a 24 pack of sausages for E6 rather than 4 six packs for E4 each, or that not eating a crap load of cake and getting no exercise is what is making them fat, or you probably shouldn't drink a naggin of vodka and chase it down with 12 cans of beer before heading out to the pub.

People aren't lacking knowledge or education, they just can't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

so what do you suggest instead of education?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This stat is completely irrelevant. Firstly it is from 2008 and it doesn't take into account other cost people have. Plus it could also mean people eat rubbish. Italians spend twice as much on food and I would assume it has more to do with importance of decent food in Italy.

As for struggling families, rubbish food is actually quite cheap. Looking at the huge numbers of overweight people in poorer neighbourhoods I would say the quality of food and not lack of it is bigger problem.

Advertisement