Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Racism during Muslim Festival

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

No. Sectarian.

Based on racial profiling. They assumed "white teenagers" could not be Muslim. Which is not the case, There is no identifier of what Religion you maybe, Unless you wear the garb that goes with it. You could have a white person standing next to an Asian person. Be asked what Religion they are. Then be surprised the white person is a Muslim and the Asian person is Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

No. Sectarian.
    But how did the staff know the individual was not Muslim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

SeanW wrote: »
    But how did the staff know the individual was not Muslim?

Maybe they asked?

In any case I can't get too upset. I was recently banned from taking a seat in the House of Lords because I didn't come out of the correct fanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

A quick google just threw up this website:
    http://www.islamophobiawatch.co.uk/mirror-stokes-up-islamophobia-with-bogus-anti-muslim-story/

Obviously, it's got its own agenda, but what it's saying makes sense.

It seems far more likely Star City was very busy at the time, and a bouncer said something like "Sorry, we're really busy at the moment - probably because it's Eid today - we can't let you in at the moment", and this was miscontrued as being a racist/sectarian policy.

Birmingham's got very worrying racial tensions, which will undoubtedly lead to more race riots in the future. The far right picking up on a story like this and twisting it to suit their agenda doesn't help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It was the EID festival so a very large number of religious people were there but not his religion so he was barred

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Hootanany wrote: »
    It was the EID festival so a very large number of religious people were there but not his religion so he was barred

That has yet to be established, for all you know the truth is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Hootanany wrote: »

Where are you getting that from?

I hate people who do the whole 'whataboutary', but just to compare... If it was a day or two before Christmas, and the place was absolutely heaving with people out for a Christmas meal/night out, and a bouncer said to an atheist/Muslim/Jew "Sorry, it's really busy here today, with it being the Christmas holidays, we can't let you in just yet", would there be uproar? No. It would be expected to be busy.

You can bet your life half of those 'religious' people were as religious as the rest of us are when we head for a Christmas night out.

It's fuck all to do with religion, it's crowd control.

brummytom wrote: »
    A quick google just threw up this website:
    http://www.islamophobiawatch.co.uk/mirror-stokes-up-islamophobia-with-bogus-anti-muslim-story/

Obviously, it's got its own agenda, but what it's saying makes sense.

It seems far more likely Star City was very busy at the time, and a bouncer said something like "Sorry, we're really busy at the moment - probably because it's Eid today - we can't let you in at the moment", and this was miscontrued as being a racist/sectarian policy.

Birmingham's got very worrying racial tensions, which will undoubtedly lead to more race riots in the future. The far right picking up on a story like this and twisting it to suit their agenda doesn't help anyone.

Id say if I looked I could find an article that explain it a different way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

brummytom wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from?

I hate people who do the whole 'whataboutary', but just to compare... If it was a day or two before Christmas, and the place was absolutely heaving with people out for a Christmas meal/night out, and a bouncer said to an atheist/Muslim/Jew "Sorry, it's really busy here today, with it being the Christmas holidays, we can't let you in just yet", would there be uproar? No. It would be expected to be busy.

You can bet your life half of those 'religious' people were as religious as the rest of us are when we head for a Christmas night out.

It's fuck all to do with religion, it's crowd control.

Holiday, we would not want to offend anyone. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Jesus, any chance to take a pop at those filthy Saracens, eh lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Jesus, any chance to take a pop at those filthy Saracens, eh lads?

No. I think they were Moors…

Moors the merrier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Privileged White Male

Ha ha Britain is such a dump.

Still its sad. A hundred years British men fought and died for their county. Now they're overrun with immigrants and most are too afraid to speak out.

Not that lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

You think that's bad. I was refused entry to Fried Green Tomatoes recently because my hips haven't been replaced yet: :mad:

http://www.ifi.ie/film/wild-strawberries-fried-green-tomatoes/

Advertisement