Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Racism during Muslim Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Faing wrote: »
    I'm sure our "No win no fee" lawyers are praying that it will.

No such thing in Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

There seems to be a lot of these stories emanating from Birmingham at the moment, first it was the schools now the cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Multiculterism is not really working there I think

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How come the inbetweeners 2 was on?

probally released early for the festival:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

The security guard obviously felt the white Christian is an easy target because if he had tried to stop a Jew they would have responded by levelling the local Muslim school

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's an Inbetweeners 2?

Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I saw Planet of the Apes there Saturday, it was a ripping yarn.

On topic, to be honest I don't know what was going on here? Eid and the events surrounding it are not exclusionary affairs. At the end of the daily fast during Ramadan there are often sporadic "Iftar" parties where people come together to eat and pray. I went to two of them in work with non-Muslim friends and we were welcomed and fed along with everyone else. I even went to one in the biggest mosque in London. In general, Muslims encourage non-Muslims to join in the festivities and they're often great community affairs.

Did the cinema make some bizarre assumption and decide to have a Muslim only day? Was it just a security guard acting the b*llocks? Either way the whole situation was bang out of order and the guy has a perfectly legitimate grievance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

"Muslim" isn't a race, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

crybaby wrote: »
    Your post makes it seem as if you would be offended at people being upset about discrimination against Asians. I can't see anyone on the thread supporting and defending racism towards white people.

Lazy, thinly veiled "you're a racist" jibe. Can you explain exactly what in my post makes it "seem" that way or is it just a gut feeling you have?

We see no one directly supporting or defending racism against white people here but we see plenty dismissing the story or making excuses to an extent that I do not believe would happen here had the victims been of Asian extraction and the offenders white. As I predicted.

• Advertisement

crybaby wrote: »
    Your post makes it seem as if you would be offended at people being upset about discrimination against Asians. I can't see anyone on the thread supporting and defending racism towards white people.

Lazy, thinly veiled "you're a racist" jibe. Can you explain exactly what in my post makes it "seem" that way or is it just a gut feeling you have?

We see no one directly supporting or defending racism against white people here but we see plenty dismissing the story or making excuses to an extent that I do not believe would happen here had the victims been of Asian extraction and the offenders white. As I predicted.

DeadHand wrote: »

You can say that again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

"Muslim" isn't a race, though.

My Ma used to use muslin to drain cheese when we were kids, leading to some confusion... Then I discovered one is a white cloth with lots of small holes and an "n" and the other is a huge religion practiced by millions upon millions of people who don't like being confused with a cheese draining cloth. It was a milestone moment for me, discovering the difference.

Who said Muslim's were a race anyway:confused:

Why did you use "racism" in the thread title if you acknowledge they're not a race? :confused:

Why did you use "racism" in the thread title if you acknowledge they're not a race? :confused:

:confused:

Why are you confused? This isn't an issue of racism. Sectarianism, maybe but if you acknowledge that Muslims aren't a race then "racism" has nothing to do with this.

The guy that was refused was a white person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Hootanany wrote: »
    The guy that was refused was a white person

That however was not the reason he is alleged to have been refused!

He was refused because he was not a Muslim is that not a racist act ?

• Advertisement

No. Muslims are not a race. Assuming that Asian=Muslim or vice versa is prejudiced but refusing someone because they're not a Muslim is not, in itself, racist given that, once again, Muslims are not a race.

That however was not the reason he is alleged to have been refused!

The young fellas were alledgedly refused admission because they were
    non-Muslim. That's sectarianism.

The reason they were alledgedly assumed to be non-Muslim and unwelcome at the establishment was, the young man believed, because they were white. That's racism.

The incident, if it happened as recorded, was both sectarian and racist. Therefore, "potential racism" is a perfectly vaild description of the reported incident.

Why are you more concerned with petty, pedantic smart assery than addressing the issue at hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I agree Muslims are not a race, but apparently the UN thinks they are. So you can't blame people for thinking the same although I disagree.

That said, there is some element of racism in this story in the sense that the security guard assumed he wasn't Muslim because of his race and immediately rejected him. Disgraceful incident anyway. Hopefully the guard is sacked.

Make your mind up, was his colour or his non membership of a particular religion?

That is a sectarian act if the story is true, as I understand it the facts have yet to be clarified as the matter is being investigated. Still that's Enfland for you!l:p
    If it is shown to be true then it is unjustifiable and should be the subject of legal proceedings under the relevant equality legislation in the UK.

Make your mind up, was his colour or his non membership of a particular religion?

That is a sectarian act if the story is true, as I understand it the facts have yet to be clarified as the matter is being investigated. Still that's Enfland for you!l:p
    If it is shown to be true then it is unjustifiable and should be the subject of legal proceedings under the relevant equality legislation in the UK.

The alledged incident was both sectarian and racist for reasons I've outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wonder, if it had been a "pork and alcohol festival" and the security was refusing people who "looked Muslim" would the people claiming it's "bad journalism" and a "non-story" still feel the same way?

I wonder ... :pac:

SeanW wrote: »
    I wonder, if it had been a "pork and alcohol festival" and the security was refusing people who "looked Muslim" would the people claiming it's "bad journalism" and a "non-story" still feel the same way?

I wonder ... :pac:

The usual suspects would be out in force.

The usual suspects would be out in force.

Would the be Irish suspects or would they be from across the wafer in Enfland?:D:D:D

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No. Sectarian.

Advertisement