Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Racism during Muslim Festival

Options
  • 03-08-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vue-apologises-after-families-barred-3943677#.U9p8jgCuty4.facebook

Furious cinemagoers say they were turned away from a busy Vue complex because they weren't Muslim.

Leon Jennings, 22, had been visiting Birmingham's Star City entertainment complex with two other friends.

But as he tried to enter the Vue Cinema on the site, which includes dozens of bars and licenced restaurants, he said he was turned away by a burly security guard.

Asked why, shocked Leon says he was told by staff the films showing were only for couples and families celebrating the end of Islamic festival Eid.

Vue Cinemas have apologised and promised an investigation.

Movies available a the time in the 25-screen, 5,000 seat complex included included Inbetweeners 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Hercules, The Nut Job and How to train your Dragon 2.

I think it is disgraceful carry on by that Company, would or could this happen over here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

I'm sure our "No win no fee" lawyers are praying that it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Ridiculously bad reporting.

Films only for couples and families.

So 2 friends wouldn't be allowed in?

Burly security guard - as if that makes any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Unbelievable.

I did the poll at the end of the article. Apparently 6% of people see nothing wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Hootanany wrote: »
    I think it is disgraceful carry on by that Company, would or could this happen over here?

Anything's possible I suppose. But by your definition, there's the potential for racism everywhere. Should we be worried?

No. Because that would be daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Some shiit-for-brains employees at fault there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ridiculously bad reporting.

Films only for couples and families.

So 2 friends wouldn't be allowed in?

Burly security guard - as if that makes any difference

"Ridiculously bad reporting"? Do you not think the racist admission policy operated the security guard is the issue here? The cinema did not dispute the version of events reported by The Mirror.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Movies available a the time in the 25-screen, 5,000 seat complex included included Inbetweeners 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Hercules, The Nut Job and How to train your Dragon 2.

If this was the only shít being shown in the cinema then the muslims are welcome to the place.

I'd thank the burly bouncer if he stopped me from going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Wait for it.

Had ethnically Asian boys been allegedly discriminated against in this fashion it'd be national news and the high horse brigade would be queing up on the boards for a massive session of competitive outrage. As it is, this will be an obscure internet story and dismissed on here as "bad reporting".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

He felt embarrassed for being white? Aww poor dear. How could you ever get over that embarrassment?

I know, go to a national newspaper and have a photo taken of yourself looking sad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

You have an issue with potential racism against non-muslims in the uk. Fair enough.

I have an issue with sweeping racist generalizations on boards, and casual racist remarks that go unchallenged, as if it's not a big deal. "Nigerians..." "Muslims..." "Travellers..." . As if @ssholes were all neatly packaged in one ethnic group for our convenience.

Maybe this discussion needs its own thread.

Anyway carry on nothing to see here.

• Advertisement

Oink wrote: »
    You have an issue with potential racism against non-muslims in the uk. Fair enough.

I have an issue with sweeping racist generalizations on boards, and casual racist remarks that go unchallenged, as if it's not a big deal. "Nigerians..." "Muslims..." "Travellers..." . As if @ssholes were all neatly packaged in one ethnic group for our convenience.

Maybe this discussion needs its own thread.

Anyway carry on nothing to see here.

Maybe you do need to start a new thread because the points you made have nothing to do with this one.

Grayson wrote: »
    He felt embarrassed for being white? Aww poor dear. How could you ever get over that embarrassment?

No, alledgedly he felt aggrieved for being discriminated against because he was white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

DeadHand wrote: »
    No, alledgedly he felt aggrieved for being discriminated against because he was white.

I thought he was allegedly discriminated against for being non Muslim, what has his colour to do with it?

I thought he was allegedly discriminated against for being non Muslim, what has his colour to do with it?

He felt the staff made the alledged assumption he was non-Muslim based on the fact he was white.

Read it again, there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

'So I hear you're a racist now cinema'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Skid X wrote: »
    "Ridiculously bad reporting"? Do you not think the racist admission policy operated the security guard is the issue here? The cinema did not dispute the version of events reported by The Mirror.

Where is the evidence that there was a policy to exclude non muslims? It looks more like the security guy on a solo run.
    Vue Cinemas have apologised and promised an investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I love the headline:
    Vue apologises after families 'barred from cinema for not being MUSLIM'

Of course MUSLIM be in capitals, just so you realise this story is about MUSLIMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Happen over here? You know the answer to that already and it is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I would be annoyed if any religious group hijacked a public area, On the refusal part if the guys had said they were Muslim. How would the security staff know ? Is there some kind of Religious detector they are using ? Easy fix was just to say they were Muslim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

This paper just reminds me of Extras so much.

Onlookers said Millman was GLUGGING red wine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I would be annoyed if any religious group hijacked a public area, On the refusal part if the guys had said they were Muslim. How would the security staff know ? Is there some kind of Religious detector they are using ? Easy fix was just to say they were Muslim.
    Public area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Public area?

Is the cinema not open to the public ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Star City's an absolute shíthole anyway. The bouncer did them a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Its not that bad nice Returaunts and bars but it is intimidating sometimes when there is gangs of youths hanging around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Its not that bad nice Returaunts and bars but it is intimidating sometimes when there is gangs of youths hanging around

I hate youths.

Their suppleness offends me.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

DeadHand wrote: »
    Wait for it.

Had ethnically Asian boys been allegedly discriminated against in this fashion it'd be national news and the high horse brigade would be queing up on the boards for a massive session of competitive outrage. As it is, this will be an obscure internet story and dismissed on here as "bad reporting".

You forgot these phrases

politically correct brigade

loony liberals

loony left

bleeding hearts

do gooders

Your post makes it seem as if you would be offended at people being upset about discrimination against Asians. I can't see anyone on the thread supporting and defending racism towards white people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Was the security guard muslim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Happen over here? You know the answer to that already and it is no.

Why's that now? Too few cinemas or too few muslims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Was the security guard muslim?

I think he was just being Politically correct or another do gooder

Advertisement