Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying things that happen on a flight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

People who bitch about petty bull**** when they can get into an amazing machine for the price of a week's pay and fly through the air at 500MPH and arrive literally on another continent within a few hours for fk sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sky King wrote: »
    People who bitch about petty bull**** when they can get into an amazing machine for the price of a week's pay and fly through the air at 500MPH and arrive literally on another continent within a few hours for fk sake!

Welcome to the 21st century. I hope your journey from the 1920s, when the above would have been in some way astonishing, was a comfortable one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Couple of things, I'm 6'4 and hate it when the person in front of me tries to recline their seats, I normally position my knees so that they can't push it back, hurts like hell on my knees but worth it.
    Another thing is I usually fly Aer Lingus and pick my seat around row 7, but they then decide to load it from the back which is a pain what is also a pain some smart arse gimp in row z decides to put their hand luggage over your seat so not only do you have to wait to get on then there is no place to store your hand luggage except under the seat! I blame the stewards they shouldn't allow that to happen!

I hate people that do that. The seats are designed to recline. If I felt any pressure like that resisting I'd make sure to bull my through full incline at the expense of some knees. Sit up straight if you want some space for your knees.

Welcome to the 21st century. I hope your journey from the 1920s, when the above would have been in some way astonishing, was a comfortable one.

Just because you're accustomed to it doesn't make it any less of an achievement.

Just because you're accustomed to it doesn't make it any less of an achievement.

You could say the same about fire, but I'd still be annoyed if ash got in my eye.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't put the discovery of fire in the same category as the development of mass intercontinental jet travel, but yes, ash in the eye would be mildly irritating all right. I might even be compelled to go on an internet forum and discuss it with other similarly aggrieved persons.

I wouldn't put the discovery of fire in the same category as the development of mass intercontinental jet travel

Of course you wouldn't, because you're accustomed to it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    People who make a mad dash to the gate as soon as boarding is announced.

Plane won't take off any quicker, especially with assigned seats, your seat will be there & plane won't take off any quicker.

A lot of people rush to board because most airlines do a crap job of enforcing the carry-on rules. So you can pretty much guarantee that if you're on a full flight, the last 25% of people who board are going to have to scramble for bin space.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Couple of things, I'm 6'4 and hate it when the person in front of me tries to recline their seats, I normally position my knees so that they can't push it back, hurts like hell on my knees but worth it.
    Another thing is I usually fly Aer Lingus and pick my seat around row 7, but they then decide to load it from the back which is a pain what is also a pain some smart arse gimp in row z decides to put their hand luggage over your seat so not only do you have to wait to get on then there is no place to store your hand luggage except under the seat! I blame the stewards they shouldn't allow that to happen!

So to avoid your legs being uncomfortable you wedge your knees into an uncomfortable and painful position instead?

Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

This still happens on Ryanair when you board the plane people are still racing across the tarmac to get to their assigned seat pushing others out of the way like the seat wont be there when they get on the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What do you think of this gadget???

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you need more space for your legs then you should pay for the extra legroom seats. If you were on a trans Atlantic flight it's a bit unreasonable to expect someone to not recline their seat for the whole journey and it's incredibly rude to jam your knees into the back of the seat in front of you!

If you normally fly aer lingus then you should join the gold circle frequent flyer program. You get priority boarding and usually get seated at the front of the plane anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    If you need more space for your legs then you should pay for the extra legroom seats. If you were on a trans Atlantic flight it's a bit unreasonable to expect someone to not recline their seat for the whole journey and it's incredibly rude to jam your knees into the back of the seat in front of you!

If you normally fly aer lingus then you should join the gold circle frequent flyer program. You get priority boarding and usually get seated at the front of the plane anyway.

Most airlines no longer offer extra legroom in coach (in the US at least), and a business-class ticket is exponentially more expensive.

Long-haul flights are one thing - pretty much the entire plane will tilt back to sleep after meals are served - but getting on to a two-hour flight and immediately winching your seat all of the way back is just plain annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I was once on a flight where Celine Dion bursted into song.
    So ....that.

Which begs the obvious question.

Why is she still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Most airlines no longer offer extra legroom in coach (in the US at least), and a business-class ticket is exponentially more expensive.

Long-haul flights are one thing - pretty much the entire plane will tilt back to sleep after meals are served - but getting on to a two-hour flight and immediately winching your seat all of the way back is just plain annoying.

What's wrong with wanting to sleep at 6am exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If a seat is in an exit row it is going to have more legroom surely? Most airlines offer these seats at an extra charge, including in the US. Delta, US airways and Virgin America definitely do anyway.

I agree there is no need to recline your seat on a short flight. Usually the planes used on these routes though have no recline or not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Which begs the obvious question.

Why is she still alive?

Canada will go broke when she passes away

Some people like her im not a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

smurfjed wrote: »
    What do you think of this gadget???

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

Great fun, you just wait till the coffee n tea is served, then "try" to recline your seat a few times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I think all people get a little bit assholey in airports and on flights. Admit it. Air travel has become a real drag in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shaun Plays Games

Babies crying has to be the worst for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

The worst for me are:

Kids kicking the back of your seat.
    Babies crying for the whole flight.
    Flight attendants chatting to passengers when you want to get past to go to the toilet. (This happened to me on an Aer Lingus flight before. I was standing there for about 10 minutes).
    People delaying boarding by taking ages putting there bags in the overhead lockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Anyone else get stomach problems during longer flights?

I always get really gassy stomach and often would be pretty sick by the time I get to where I'm going. I usually need to allow a day to recover from flights over 3 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »
    The chap beside you in the suit making a point of reading his newspaper during the flight safety announcement because he wants you to think he flies so often he doesn't need to listen to it anymore.

Tosser.
    You really think that people read through those announcements because they are trying to show off to the people around them? That seems like a weirdly insecure reaction, TBH.

Yes. Ask the cabin crew. These type of passengers are the ones who piss them off the most. Its not an 'insecure reaction' at all on my part. I feel safer on a plane than I do crossing the street. Even if its being tossed around the place through turbulence. I actually love that !
    First time flyers hanging on every announcement from the flight attendants.

I've flown hundreds of times and always pay attention to the safety announcements as they vary from airline to airline and between different aircraft types with the same airline. Even with airlines using one aircraft type like Ryanair, simple little things like the location of life jackets can vary from one plane to another.

It doesn't cost anything other than two minutes of time to give it some attention, (not 'hang on every word'), just just to listen. Its only cop on and a bit of manners too.
    Aidric wrote: »
    :confused: All regular fliers feel like this.

As a regular flier myself, I disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Thomas D wrote: »
    The seats are designed to recline.

I think this is an excellent judge of character and tells me all I need to know about a person.

Have you had the experience of having someone recline their seat to within an inch of your face, while you're squashed into a decidedly tight space with limited capacity for movement or comfort for several hours, just because they can?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    When the little brat sitting behind you is kicking your seat

It's worse when it's an adult who should know the repercussions of their actions. I speak condescingly to those people and call them sweetie, cos I assume they're "special" people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

beks101 wrote: »
    I think this is an excellent judge of character and tells me all I need to know about a person.

Have you had the experience of having someone recline their seat to within an inch of your face, while you're squashed into a decidedly tight space with limited capacity for movement or comfort for several hours, just because they can?
    Agree. An excellent litmus test for a persons character. My arse is designed to fart but that doesn't mean I should do it in a lift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

beks101 wrote: »

You have the exact same amount of space if you recline, just at a different angle. It's stupidity to think they'd design economy class seats which could recline right into another persons body.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

When the seatbelt sign has been activated and two announcements have come on to tell passengers to remain seated and the toilets will be out of use momentarily, and suddenly every Tom Dick and Harry decide to stand up and fiddle with their bags and coats and ask the air hostesses to open the bathroom door because they need to use the toilet.

???!!!??!!!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Smokers . Strong smell of fags of someone for 9 hours . Especially when you despise smoking.

Secondly , fat people . Enough said . They should at least go first class for the sake of other people . I mean the people who take up more than one chair which when flying to and from America seems to be quite common .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thomas D wrote: »
    I hate people that do that. The seats are designed to recline. If I felt any pressure like that resisting I'd make sure to bull my through full incline at the expense of some knees. Sit up straight if you want some space for your knees.

I appreciate that people are entitled to recline their seats, I just wish they would do it at a pace that I can react to. Some people just slap them back without warning.

Advertisement