Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards meetups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'll be honest here, before I went to my first Boards beers(back in 07 IIRC) I did think it would be a corner of a pub full of internet cliches of "nerds" and "weirdos". It really wasn't. It was just a bunch of normal folks of all kinds. In fact if anything it was broader in scope than an average meetup you might have between friends or coworkers. People you might otherwise never encounter in your daily life kinda thing.

As we go through life I've noticed people tend to stick with what and who they know, which is a pity. They never leave their comfort zone and miss out on a shítload because of it. Internet meetups, especially of a general nature like the old sitewide beers or now AH beers are a good way of avoiding that.

And bear in mind my first beers was a mods beers, a group some might expect to be more of a cliche than general users. Nada cringeworthy about it at all. I made a good few mates out of it over the years.

My 3 cents anyway.

Sounds interesting and fun.
    I know the internet can draw a lot of questionable or unruly characters, i presume these show up too? Can't ban them in real life :v

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'll be honest here, before I went to my first Boards beers(back in 07 IIRC) I did think it would be a corner of a pub full of internet cliches of "nerds" and "weirdos". It really wasn't. It was just a bunch of normal folks of all kinds. In fact if anything it was broader in scope than an average meetup you might have between friends or coworkers. People you might otherwise never encounter in your daily life kinda thing.

As we go through life I've noticed people tend to stick with what and who they know, which is a pity. They never leave their comfort zone and miss out on a shítload because of it. Internet meetups, especially of a general nature like the old sitewide beers or now AH beers are a good way of avoiding that.

And bear in mind my first beers was a mods beers, a group some might expect to be more of a cliche than general users. Nada cringeworthy about it at all. I made a good few mates out of it over the years.

My 3 cents anyway.

Yup - first boards mod beers recently, was half expecting a bunch of people sitting around a table clutching their tablets and typing frantically. Met some great people there that I'd love to meet for pints again sometimes. Great night all round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

hairybelly wrote: »
    Sounds interesting and fun.
    I know the internet can draw a lot of questionable or unruly characters, i presume these show up too? Can't ban them in real life :v

No, but you can put them on 'ignore', if that's your thing...

Not a strategy I'd ever employ myself, it's a bit like covering your eyes and telling yourself you're the only person in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

hairybelly wrote: »
    Sounds kinda cringey, like most online meetups.

Meet people off the interwebs all the time through meetup. Don't find it cringey atal. The hiking group I go out with are having a summer party next weekend. CAN. NOT. WAIT. ^____^

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I've been out house parties after a night out where I wouldn't know most of the people, I'd be there through a friend or something. Anyway as the night would drag on and things chill down a little and those who smoke weed do what they do, I've in the past put the question forward during a moments silence, "So, who's on boards.ie...". People generally tend to look at the floor and not answer, what's that all about!?
    My names TeddyTedson and I'm a boardsie and proud :)
    You're either with me, or you're under me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I've been out house parties after a night out where I wouldn't know most of the people, I'd be there through a friend or something. Anyway as the night would drag on and things chill down a little and those who smoke weed do what they do, I've in the past put the question forward during a moments silence, "So, who's on boards.ie...". People generally tend to look at the floor and not answer, what's that all about!?
    My names TeddyTedson and I'm a boardsie and proud :)
    You're either with me, or you're under me.

"I am Spartacus"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

danniemcq wrote: »
    That's it I've had enough,

I'm putting you on file... In a filing cyabinet

I fixed that for you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Cant eat naans being a vegetarian.

No, we're not encouraging relative cannibalism here ......... your Nana is safe.
    On opening the Indo a while ago, I got a shock http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/arthurs-day-is-dead-long-live-arthurs-way-as-gaybo-launches-new-trail-30476914.html thought you had passed on - so I rang The Winchester (under new management) and was assured by Abrahim Patel that my call was terminating in London and not Bangalore. So I thought I'd throw in a quick question just to try him, "What time is it in your neck of the woods?" His reply, which I could barely make out above I Could Be So Good For You in the background ............ "I am not the Speaking Clock. We are busy so will you please stop wasting my valuable time. Goodbye". And he hung up.
    Not the type of answer you'd get when Dave was the maitre d'.

Life certainly does change!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

bluewolf wrote: »
    What a funny sityeeashun

SEX ME

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "I am Spartacus"

"I'm Spartacus too"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

When's this happening? I might make an appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Meet people off the interwebs all the time through meetup. Don't find it cringey atal. The hiking group I go out with are having a summer party next weekend. CAN. NOT. WAIT. ^____^

Are you in Dublin Hillwalkers?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

"I'm Spartacus too"

"I am Brian, ands so is my wife"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I've been to two Boards private forum meet-ups - one planned, one random.

I was nervous beforehand because I was afraid it would be awkward, but we had plenty to say. People were mostly really nice and just as I expected.

If people can be a dick on Boards, it doesn't mean that's what they're like in real life. Also there's the opposite - seeming really nice on Boards but not so much in real life. Rarer, but I encountered it.

Are you in Dublin Hillwalkers?:)

Well the group I'm with is Wicklow but they do A LOT of walks in Dublin as well. :)

EDIT: Sorry just re-read your comment, NOPE, in the wicklow one. :pac:

Well the group I'm with is Wicklow but they do A LOT of walks in Dublin as well. :)

EDIT: If you live on the westside :cool:, I could give you a lift to the Wicklow ones.

Thanks:) I've moved out of Dublin though so I usually just join the club for walks when they are somewhere else in the country.

Thanks:) I've moved out of Dublin though so I usually just join the club for walks when they are somewhere else in the country.

Are we talking about the same group here? The one I'm in does walks all over the shop. Whereabouts are ya now Gonzo?

All over the place:-) Officially a student in Athlone, just finished up a work placement in Dublin and currently temporarily residing in Galway. Expecting to move again in September. I don't think we are talking about the same group, my one is called the Dublin hillwalking group.

All over the place:-) Officially a student in Athlone, just finished up a work placement in Dublin and currently temporarily residing in Galway. Expecting to move again in September. I don't think we are talking about the same group, my one is called the Dublin hillwalking group.

Nope we're not. We're the cooler group. :cool:

Nope we're not. We're the cooler group. :cool:

We'll have to have a walk off to see about that;)

• Advertisement

We'll have to have a walk off to see about that;)

Bring it on biatch. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Fat Christy, I’ve taken you off my ignore list. Sorry you were ever there. Your eloquance is too good. :)
    Big makeee upeee hug
    >>>O<<<

gugleguy wrote: »
    Fat Christy, I’ve taken you off my ignore list. Sorry you were ever there. Your eloquance is too good. :)
    Big makeee upeee hug
    >>>O<<<

Oh I was probably there for a very good reason. ;)

I have you on my 'the fcuk are these guys talking about' list, along with Catallus. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I have you on my 'the fcuk are these guys talking about' list, along with Catallus.
    fair nuff I always give a 1 out of 5 star rating for any thread you start.:p My threads are always FAB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Has there ever been a scrap at one of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Macavity. wrote: »
    Has there ever been a scrap at one of these?
    If that's what you're looking for, have it in Longford! Never been out there for a night that hasn't ended in someone I know being in a fight.

If you stuck the conspiracy theory forum in with the after hours form at the same meet up, I reckon there could be a scrap in the making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

gugleguy wrote: »
    Big makeee upeee hug
    >>>O<<<

I have you on my 'the fcuk are these guys talking about' list, along with Catallus. :pac:

Now that you two have made up can I come to the wedding? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SkunkyDoodle

My 3 cents anyway.

This made me happy, I'd tend to make friends from all different walks of life all with different interests and such like. Have even met up with friends from England that I met on Xbox.

Would love to someday go to a meet up when I get my post count up a bit and get to know people a bit more.

What does the age range generally tend to be? Though it's not a big issue or anything, just curious? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

So are there still ongoing boards meetups?

If not, could we organize a big one to kickstart meetups again?

A "mega-meetup" if you will...

Advertisement