Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The superhero movie thing needs to stop...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Rather than a curvy woman, wouldn't it make more sense to have a actress with a build like Katie Taylor rather than Scarlett Johansson. It would satisfy the desire/need to portray a "real" woman and also add to the suspension of belief required for films like these as she genuinely does look like she could kick somebodies ass while still being feminine.

Addition: To be honest I agree with you about the armour thing, pimping Dredd again (the sort of hero film I can actually enjoy!), Anderson has very similar armour to dredd (and they do explain why she doesn't wear a helmet) it makes them seem more cohesive as an actual unit with Anderson being more than just a prop.

Here's Ronda Rousey who's probably the closest thing in the real world to a female 'super hero'. She is an olympic judo medalist and the current UFC Women's Bantamweight champion, she's undefeated in her MMA and pretty much cleared out her that division already at the age of 27. She also fights in tight outfits with her mid-drift showing, when other fights wear looser clothing that cover a lot more skin.

Not too much difference between her and Scarlett so I'm not sure what you're talking about 'real' women.

Ronda-Rousey-Fox-Red-Dress.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Not too much difference between her and Scarlett so I'm not sure what you're talking about 'real' women.
    Really?

20131219091702_ronda_rousey.JPG&&width=200&&height=300

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Foxtrol wrote: »

Much rather take a punch from Scarlett than Ronda, might still be standing after it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Reekwind wrote: »
    Really?

20131219091702_ronda_rousey.JPG&&width=200&&height=300

Here's her in the Expendables and then an on set photo of Scarlett as Black Widow.

1408125198000-ROUSEY-EXPENDABLES-3-MOV-jy-1728-.JPG

Scarlett-Johansson-in-The-Avengers-Movie-Set-1.jpg

Photoshop and camera work might make them look different but to call one a 'real woman' build and the other not is just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

All this talk of real women in the media is nauseating.
    Is ScarJo not a real woman? When did she stop being real? Why is she too good looking to be real, is that the issue now?

It's an offence to all the women who do workout for these roles.
    It takes no effort to be average, and it's a worrying statement of art if all we want is the average looking Joe/Jane exalted in all their physical mediocrity reflected back at us in order for us to feel good about ourselves. It's a mentality I can't comprehend.

You rarely hear guys complaining about a ripped Hugh Jackman, inspired if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Adamantium wrote: »
    All this talk of real women in the media is nauseating.
    Is ScarJo not a real woman? When did she stop being real? Why is she too good looking to be real, is that the issue now?

It's an offence to all the women who do workout for these roles.
    It takes no effort to be average, and it's a worrying statement of art if all we want is the average looking Joe/Jane exalted in all their physical mediocrity reflected back at us in order for us to feel good about ourselves. It's a mentality I can't comprehend.

You rarely hear guys complaining about a ripped Hugh Jackman, inspired if anything.

Thats very upworthy but it doesn't actually tell us anything. I was replying to the poster who wanted to see more curvy women. Its not about looking too good *its about looking like someone is physically capable of beating up evil henchmen etc.
    Of course ScarJo is a real woman, does she look like she could really pull of X fight,no.

* that does read sneakly like you don't think women with an.athletic build can look good. See how easy it is to misrepresent a point ;-)

Advertisement