Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The superhero movie thing needs to stop...

Options
  • 31-07-2014 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I am so sick of all the Superhero movies, it seems like ever second new release is a super hero movie and its getting old. We did not need a new Spider-Man series, we do not need Batman Vs. Superman. Superman, Iron Man, X Men, Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ninga Turtles and now we have to look forward to the upcoming Ant Man, the Fantastic 4 reboot, the Justice League, the movie where the Guardians of the Galaxy team up with the Avengers, etc. etc. you get my drift.

It's has even gone over to TV, with Arrow, Flash, Gotham, the 4 shows Netflix are doing, again etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong they have a place but there is literally too many of these series and more coming all the time, and lets be honest how many of these are really any good, the only ones that I would seriously rate although I gave up watching most were Nolans Batmans. I can't be the only one who is seriously sick of the whole superhero thing, I get that they are pretty much guaranteed to make money but there just seems to be such a lack of innovation and its really boring.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Seems to me that the simplest thing to do would be to just not watch them, if they're not your cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The reason there's so many, and the reason it's gone over to TV as well is because there's an incredible amount of source material available.
    I think they're way overhyped, but Superhero movies have provided some of the better blockbusters over the last decade or so.
    There's been some great complex characters, and they're well developed over the sequels. Bruce Wayne is the obvious journey, but even Tony Stark's development from Avengers to Iron Man 3 (although didn't like IM3). Steve Rogers embodies his role more through each appearance. I dunno, I just think there's a lot more scope of Superhero movies than say another derivative sequel to horror franchises (Saw 7 & Paranormal Activity 5), or the horrible trend of rom-coms that pit the male & female against eachother (Bounty Hunter, Killers, The Break-Up).

They have their faults; namely the ultimate destruction in the third act (especially when it's not needed like in The Winter Soldier).
    Actually, I'd say the biggest fault is the ridiculous need to include a post-credits scene! In an internet age, we don't need to be shown a 30 second teaser after 5 minutes of credits just to let us know there will be a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Yeah I'm completely sick of other genres of film such as Romance and Musicals and hate when I am forced to watch them all...oh wait I'm not!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Well....we don't really NEED to have any movies, studios keep making them cause people keep watching them so you are clearly in the minority here...
    I really like this genre, has it's bad movies sure but I still wanna see more of them.
    I especially like way the avengers universe has been built and connected and look forward to seeing more, so I'd echo the above, if you don't like em then don't watch em!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Yeah they are to many horror movies for my liking, and what is it with all these drama movies, remember those bloody westerns, so many of them to.... It's just a genre, that may go bust the way westerns did, but people seem to enjoy them. I don't understand why it bugs people when it doesn't directly effect your life. Obviously your entitled to voice your opinion on the matter, but for years people have only really had reeves superman movies and keatons batman movies, so for us fan of comic book characters it is so refreshing to see....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Number of Superhero movies released so far this year - 3

Number of which were really any good - 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Its just a trend that you get in film. Early cinema it was the musicals. In the 60s you had westerns. In the 70s it was the tense spy thrillers. In the 80s it was the one man killing machine action films. Now its superhero movies. Eventually another type of film will surpass it as the most popular genre

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Number of Superhero movies released so far this year - 2.

Isn't the number 3?
    Captain America 2
    Spider-Man 2
    X-Men - Days Of Futures Past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Number of Superhero movies released so far this year - 2.

Spiderman 2, X-Men, Cap 2 makes 3

and in my opinion they were all good

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ps3lover wrote: »
    Isn't the number 3?
    Captain America 2
    Spider-Man 2
    X-Men - Days Of Futures Past.

My bad. Forgettable is exactly how I would describe Spider-Man 2 anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

This trend is exactly why I stopped going to cinema and I don't have a tv at the house. All of this is so predictable it's boring.

szatan84 wrote: »
    This trend is exactly why I stopped going to cinema and I don't have a tv at the house. All of this is so predictable it's boring.

Because of superhero films? Why don't you just watch other stuff? There's loads of great films in the cinema at the moment that aren't superhero related.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

They can keep making crappy Spiderman movies as long as someone gives the green light to Hellboy 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

This trend is exactly why I stopped going to cinema.
    You've stopped going to the cinema because the minority of what's on doesn't catch your fancy? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I really don't like mushrooms, this is exactly why I no longer buy any food as my local Tesco refuses to remove their mushrooms from sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just to be clear, I do not watch them! The reason I am so sick of them is because it feels like every second release is a superhero movie. Like I have said they have there place but jeez things have gotten a bit stagnant with regards to cinema releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I do not watch them! The reason I am so sick of them is because it feels like every second release is a superhero movie. Like I have said they have there place but jeez things have gotten a bit stagnant with regards to cinema releases.

But as stated already, 4 films this year have been superhero flicks (Xmen, Spider-Man, Captain America and Guardians), how exactly is 4 films out of hundreds a problem?

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Not true at at all, I'd wager that for sheer variety the cinema is as good as it's ever been.

In fact I'm looking at the Cineworld page now and there isn't a single superhero movie on.

I mean superhero is far from my favorite genre but I still manage to see and enjoy at least 2 or 3 new releases a week regardless of their existence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They need to stop but not because they are juvenile shiote but because the whole American film industry (I stress industry) is utterly in thrall to them. The sheer amount of resources being tied up in these films means money, time and effort that might be spent making other types of films (that are not rom-coms and goofball comedies) isn't available. So desperate are the majors to keep the edifice upright one or two big names are almost certainly going to come a cropper. Obviously it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people but still it would be a pity for all the grown ups to be squeezed out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They need to stop but not because they are juvenile shiote but because the whole American film industry (I stress industry) is utterly in thrall to them. The sheer amount of resources being tied up in these films means money, time and effort that might be spent making other types of films (that are not rom-coms and goofball comedies) isn't available. So desperate are the majors to keep the edifice upright one or two big names are almost certainly going to come a cropper. Obviously it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people but still it would be a pity for all the grown ups to be squeezed out.

These films are made for profit, like it or not. Refusing to make a product that is likely to sell is poor business. There haven't been that many superhero flicks this year and it is a bubble that could easily burst but they are currently very lucrative.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I for one agree with the OP. I am in the process of drafting a strongly worded letter to Hollywood, outlining my displeasure at their failure to fulfil their obligation to me.

Who's with me?

:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The day superhero films genuinely dominate schedules, then there's cause for concern. We're a long long way from that - film is as vast and varied a medium as it has ever been, and there's never been more counter-programming available to everyone uninterested whatever mass-produced blockbusters are being released :)

As ever, if one dost feel the need to protest, go out of your way to check out the plethora of good stuff always out in the cinema. You have films as diverse as Boyhood, Joe, Mistaken for Strangers, Mood Indigo knocking around schedules at the moment, and August is looking like a great month for releases. Even if you don't have access to an independent or arthouse cinema (although there's been some superior multiplex fare released this season too!) if you're posting here I'd wager you have an endless supply of great new films to keep anyone occupied.

For every superhero film (and there's a few good ones amidst the noise) there's probably 100 or a 1000 alternatives - there's some way to go before I'd start consider it being worth eradicating for the greater good!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The worst thing about superhero movies is they keep rebooting, so their essentially telling the same part of the superhero story over and over again with different actors.

There's essentially no need to show the origins story for Batman, Superman or spiderman ever again. Any time I see reboot I lose interest because I've seen that film already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ScumLord wrote: »
    The worst thing about superhero movies is they keep rebooting, so their essentially telling the same part of the superhero story over and over again with different actors.

There's essentially no need to show the origins story for Batman, Superman or spiderman ever again. Any time I see reboot I lose interest because I've seen that film already.

Yeah, and the longer a series goes on the sooner they break out nonsense like time travel, resurrections, clones, etc...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah, and the longer a series goes on the sooner they break out nonsense like time travel, resurrections, clones, etc...

Because the original premise isn't nonsensical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

At least the western was more grounded and (could) be a little less of a power fantasy.

Found this fantastic post on the Watchmen IMDB page summing up this era of popular cinema trends:
    Because Marvel has decided to saturate the market of CBM and release 3-5 per year on top of DC who is planning a DCU ( at least 2 per year soon). This market will be flooded and die out in the next 10 years.

So lets pretend it's 2027 and CBM are starting to bomb at the Box Office and Disney pulls the plug on Marvel after it's milked it for everything it could for 15 years. DC has made it's version of the cash cow Marvelish Universe (Snyderverse) and we look back on the hundreds of CBM made at that point (most of them being the same format with the same scenarios over and over). People will look at "Watchmen" (2009) and realize how amazing it truly is. This film did something none of the others have, it was a successful rated "R" CBM.

It sticks out like a sore thumb when sitting next to Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, and other over the top one liner joke, good guys are good and bad guys are bad (black and white) white toast, cookie cutter films.

Every Generation has it's wave of success with certain genres of film.

In the late 1930s-1950s it was EPIC (4 hour) movies like "Lawrence of Arabia" "Gone with the Wind" "Ben-Hur" etc...
    In the 1960s-1970s it was Westerns usually featuring John Wayne or Clint Eastwood
    In the 1980s-1990s it was Cop/War Action Flicks usually featuring Stallone, Arnold, Bruce Willis, etc...
    Finally in the early 2000s Spider-Man and X-Men started a new generation of Comic Book films

My prediction is when this CBM phase dries up and mainstream moves on to the next thing, there will be five films that stand up (Other than the Reeve Superman films and Burton Batman films which were classics before this genre exploded)

1. The Dark Knight (You could say the entire trilogy as one story, but mostly TDK 2008)
    2. Spider-Man (It will be viewed as the one that started the big mainstream Box Office explosion)
    3. Watchmen (It will be the artistic yet dark/gritty rated R hit. It is different and stands out)
    4. Superman Returns (A lot of people are going to disagree with this, but it is critically acclaimed and stands out)
    5. The Avengers (First team up film, unless the JLA tops it in 2016)

ScumLord wrote: »

I think it's a question of whatever the next film makers bring to it. Amazing Spider-Man in particular felt like being robbed of 2 hours and 10 euro to me.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Because the original premise isn't nonsensical?

I'm referring to escalation. To begin with, you'll have battles for a city or a country, then it's the world, then a galaxy, then parallel earths and so on. Because these films take so long to make, it hasn't really set in yet. It has become apparent that Marvel will be very reluctant to kill off any of their characters as most of them have their own franchises.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement