Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The superhero movie thing needs to stop...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Indiana Jones 5 (????) (announced) (producer)

It's a joke. Do you not remember when they announced there was going to a 4 and all they came up with was that **** parody starring Shia La Boeuf.

Spielberg and Lucas are the biggest kidders in Hollywood :pac:

(have I used pacman right? I've never used him before)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Dredd 3D is an example of how comic book movies can be done well and cheap and freeing up resources for other films.

45 million to make, now that's how it should be done.
    There's no reason why that couldn't become a HBO series focusing on fascism.

I honestly believe most of these films would be better if the budgets were capped, think how good Terminator 1 was because of the constraints.

The 99% of movies today also feel like were handed around to a bunch of writers to fit into a formula rather than one or two working on a single atypical vision.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was consistent, consistently tense, incredible characterisation for a summer movie and had the courage of its convictions, making it a rare film indeed. It's prequel included.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I am groot

I am groot
    We are Groot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Fysh wrote: »
    Seems to me that the simplest thing to do would be to just not watch them, if they're not your cup of tea.

easier said than done with a couple of young lads ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

well finally saw guardians and have to say I was disappointed ,and it has been the trend with the last few from marvel studios. they have the sequence to their films down and anything out side that is too risky.

these movies are now chewing gum. I actually found myself looking around the cinema waiting for the action sequence to end . and this is what the next few from them will be like.

I am a firm believer in the reason old blockbusters worked like jaws worked because the shark didn't and Spielberg had to work on the story and the tension. same could be said for the original star wars , aliens and it seems not enough have learned from this. CGI is not the be all and end all and making movies with cast credits like guardians and not using them is completely pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

FunLover18 wrote: »
    We are Groot!

groot is life :D

Not gonna happen any time soon

Ik6wjKr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

lego batman!

deadpool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ik6wjKr.jpg

homina homina homina.... I love this stuff...

no idea what justice league dark is...

And The Sandman is the greatest comic story every written, so lets hope whoever attempts it doesn´t phuck it up....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

homina homina homina.... I love this stuff...

no idea what justice league dark is...

And The Sandman is the greatest comic story every written, so lets hope whoever attempts it doesn´t phuck it up....

Justice League Dark is a series featuring occult characters from DC's stable, including John Constantine. Last I heard Del Toro was pushing it, which is encouraging.

The Sandman I think needs to be a longform series rather than a film, it's just too dense to turn into a film without screwing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I want to see Paul Bettany as Constantine. Love Constantine, and Bettany is an under used, and in my opinion, under rated actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I am officially burnt out with superhero flicks after seeing X-Men: Days of Future Past. It dawned on me after the post-credits scene with Apocalypse. It didn't ignite any spark of anticipation.
    I thought, "Oh, look. Another immensely powerful bad guy who will eventually be defeated by this ragtag team of do-gooders." Same with Thor 2.

I just don't give a **** anymore.

People keep comparing Superhero movies to Westerns and saying 'Well, there was a time where there were 50 Westerns coming out every year and nobody complained.'
    The difference is that we don't have to watch the fate of the world get decided in every single western like we apparently have to in every single superhero movie. It just gets tiring. One of the reasons I love Dark Knight so much is that the scope is relatively contained; it's fighting for not even really the fate of, but one aspect of, a single city and the future of a few people, Harvey and then Bruce ending up condemned in the end (Heroism will often benefit everybody but yourself and often ruin you). It was basically tossed out in number 3 when they said **** it, let's do a nuke, I actually thought "a nuke, a ****ing nuke with a timer was there any other idea (probably cheaper, and better idea at that) that they deliberated before going to this one?

Man this scene, 5 people and a gun, and I had my heart in my mouth watching it, still do:

"The world is cruel and the only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased, unprejudiced, fair."

The Dark Knight has been influencing filmakers and audience taste for years now (even unknowingly), people were still talking about it a year after it had opened like it was only newly released, the hype never dropped. It will be seen a classic in much the same LOTR blew people minds and hearts in the early 2000's

Iron Man 3 was superb and the fact that the major internet populace hated it confirmed what I suspected regarding taste

When Guardians of the Galaxy released, some people were talking about it like it was the 2nd coming of the golden age of cinema, it was good, but perspective people, it wasn't that good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

danrua01 wrote: »
    Why is it such a big issue?

It isn't really. Some are burnt out on the many Superhero films (which is fair enough) despite it being still incredibly popular (which is also fair enough). But it's just a topic for discussion. Nobody has to see anything though, it's all entertainment. There's a TON of popular music I hate, so I don't listen to it, and I'm all the happier for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Adamantium wrote: »
    I am officially burnt out with superhero flicks after seeing X-Men: Days of Future Past. It dawned on me after the post-credits scene with Apocalypse. It didn't ignite any spark of anticipation.
    I thought, "Oh, look. Another immensely powerful bad guy who will eventually be defeated by this ragtag team of do-gooders." Same with Thor 2.

People keep comparing Superhero movies to Westerns and saying 'Well, there was a time where there were 50 Westerns coming out every year and nobody complained.'
    The difference is that we don't have to watch the fate of the world get decided in every single western like we apparently have to in every single superhero movie. It just gets tiring. One of the reasons I love Dark Knight so much is that the scope is relatively contained; it's fighting for not even really the fate of, but one aspect of, a single city and the future of a few people, Harvey and then Bruce ending up condemned in the end (Heroism will often benefit everybody but yourself and often ruin you). It was basically tossed out in number 3 when they said **** it, let's do a nuke, I actually thought "a nuke, a ****ing nuke with a timer was there any other idea (probably cheaper, and better idea at that) that they deliberated before going to this one?

Man this scene, 5 people and a gun, and I had my heart in my mouth watching it, still do:

"The world is cruel and the only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased, unprejudiced, fair."

The Dark Knight has been influencing filmakers and audience taste for years now (even unknowingly), people were still talking about it a year after it had opened like it was only newly released, the hype never dropped. It will be seen a classic in much the same LOTR blew people minds and hearts in the early 2000's

Iron Man 3 was superb and the fact that the major internet populace hated it confirmed what I suspected regarding taste

When Guardians of the Galaxy released, some people were talking about it like it was the 2nd coming of the golden age of cinema, it was good, but perspective people, it wasn't that good.

So If I didn't like Iron Man 3, I don't have good taste? Why do threads like these get saturated with such nonsense?. I found the last 30 minutes of Iron Man 3 quite disappointing, especially the usage of
    the other Iron Man suits, which for so many characters was incredibly dull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Ik6wjKr.jpg
    tumblr_n16s78lohs1t6w7m3o1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

I agree that TDKR went too big, it should have been about Bane and Batman, and that was it.
    No need for the city lockdown, no need for the nuke being gotten out of Gotham with seconds to spare. It's biggest problem was that instead of making the conclusion of the story more intimate it just went "epic" because that's how all things should end right? TDK did a great job of putting a comic story in a somewhat realistic setting then TDKR undid all that with nukes and private armies.
    I loved Iron Man 3 as well, it's a wonderful play on the superhero genre, granted the 3rd act as with all Marvel's films descends into just blowing stuff up but the rest of the film was brilliant. It was about Tony Stark, not Iron Man.
    People were bitching there wasn't enough Iron Man in it, yet we got plenty of that in the previous film, with another climax featuring a villain in an Iron Man style suit, yawn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Angel Knightess

One of the things that really annoys me about superhero movies is the constant tragic backstory, like no character ever seems to do anything unless other wise prompted in some way.
    Spiderman was bitten by a radioactive spider and then his uncle was murdered so he became a hero fighting for the ordinary people of New York. Would he have become a jerk or even a villain otherwise? We will never know.
    Superman came from a distant planet, was raised by kind parents and then his adoptive father dies, prompting superman to become a hero.
    Ironman/Tony Stark gets almost killed and creates a suit of near invincible armour and becomes a hero.
    Batman's parents die in front of him as a child leading him on a quest to clean up gotham and become a hero.

Another thing that annoys me is the romantic subplot that every damn superhero movie seems to have. It's implausible and stupid and is pretty much used as a plot device.
    Thor's relationship with what's her face after 2 days or something.
    Spiderman's obsession with either Gwen stacey or Mary Jane.
    And did I just read somewhere that the Flash is going to have a thing for the daughter of an investigating detective.

The third thing that really annoys me about these movie is the depiction of women. Am I the only one who would like to see a realistic female hero? Now I get that all the male characters are buff but I honestly feel that if Hollywood wanted Jack Black or Jonah Hill to play a superhero they'd get the nod, unlike a more curvier woman to play a female superhero. Plus whilst so many of the male characters are ripped they don't seem to be going around in the same skin tight gear as their female counterparts. Do the actresses portraying Mystique even wear clothes?

Saying all this though, I don't hate superhero movies. I find many of them entertaining and funny but they are predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Not a big fan of superhero stuff lately but Bridman looks interesting. A new approach nay be. Here's the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Plus whilst so many of the male characters are ripped they don't seem to be going around in the same skin tight gear as their female counterparts. Do the actresses portraying Mystique even wear clothes?

Really?
    Spiderman - Skintight suit
    Superman - Skintight suit
    Captain America - Not quite skintight but still doesn't look baggy exactly
    Human Torch - Fairly skintight
    Green Lantern - Skintight

Most superhero costumes are skintight, male or female. Although female ones tend to be skintight and skimpy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Really?
    Spiderman - Skintight suit
    Superman - Skintight suit
    Captain America - Not quite skintight but still doesn't look baggy exactly
    Human Torch - Fairly skintight
    Green Lantern - Skintight

Most superhero costumes are skintight, male or female. Although female ones tend to be skintight and skimpy.

Hugh Jackman seems to be contractually obliged to strip at some point in each of his Wolverine/X-Men movies.
    Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen is a big blue naked guy.
    The Hulk only ever wears some torn up shorts :D

Bacchus wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman seems to be contractually obliged to strip at some point in each of his Wolverine/X-Men movies.
    Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen is a big blue naked guy.
    The Hulk only ever wears some torn up shorts :D

I was trying not to mention the giant blue wang of Dr.Manhattan. Family site and all that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Angel Knightess

What I was getting at was that whilst male superheroes do wear skin tight gear most of the time, their costumes have a sense of bulk that female costumes don't. Captain America does wear a fairly skin tight bodysuit but there's a sense of bulk to it. It looks like it could repel things and in doing so makes Cap look more like a hero to be taken seriously.

I don't think you can include cgi heroes in this debate as there's a reason and a practically for being the way they are. The Hulk for example, is half naked because of his transformation, and partly because of decency (People don't want to see more of the Hulk than they have to), and in no way does it affect his fighting style. He's practically invincible so it doesn't really matter.

Again with Wolverine. Given that the guy is practically invincible, unless you have a massive supply of admantium bullets, it doesn't matter whether he's wearing clothes or not.

Aside from wearing skin tight bodysuits, some female heroes (SuperGirl, Catwoman...Okay bad movies) have their midriffs and legs showing, how is this practical in a fight. Male costumes have a sense of bulk and a completeness in that they cover most or a vast proportion of the body. Otherwise what is the point?

Thor wears full body armour and yes I know he bares his chest a lot. They are talking about making a female Thor in the future, so will she have the full armour that Thor now has or will it be something more resembling Wonderwoman's costume which whilst kind of iconic (I know its different from the red and gold one), isn't really practical looking either.
    If Superman's costume was changed so he'd have his midriff out or Thor started running around bare legged with his breastplate barely over his chest I don't think people would be impressed.

All I'm saying is, would it hurt to have female hero costumes be more practical looking and have a sense of bulk so that they look like they might stop more than a stiff breeze? I don't think it would ruin a female hero's sex appeal if they considered doing this. In fact the costumes might be cool. A new or even an established female hero in full body armour would be both unexpected and awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I don't think you can include cgi heroes in this debate as there's a reason and a practically for being the way they are. The Hulk for example, is half naked because of his transformation, and partly because of decency (People don't want to see more of the Hulk than they have to), and in no way does it affect his fighting style. He's practically invincible so it doesn't really matter.

Again with Wolverine. Given that the guy is practically invincible, unless you have a massive supply of admantium bullets, it doesn't matter whether he's wearing clothes or not.

Aside from wearing skin tight bodysuits, some female heroes (SuperGirl, Catwoman...Okay bad movies) have their midriffs and legs showing, how is this practical in a fight. Male costumes have a sense of bulk and a completeness in that they cover most or a vast proportion of the body. Otherwise what is the point?

... {I won't quote your entire comment but will address it}

So it's the combat defense ability and/or effect on fighting styles of the suits you're concerned about? Your original point was about women wearing skin tight clothes but men don't. The implication that I took from that comment was that women are purely being portrayed as sex objects. That's been disproved (or at least a bias has). You can add Thor to the list of men obliged to shoot a shirtless scene. Haven't seen Black Widow shoot one of those yet.

Hulk was a joke btw ;)

Also take note of Scarlet Witch in the upcoming Avengers 2 movie. In the comics, her costume was... revealing. They've got a much more conservative outfit for the movie though.

The real problem, if you want to get into the gender issues, is the disproportionate number of male superheroes to female. This stems from the source material being mostly male orientated.

It also doesn't help in the MCU that most of the strong female leads in Marvel's bank are licensed to Sony (Sue Storm, Jean Grey, Storm, Black Cat, Mystique).

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea of female costumes showing midriffs (again I get the impression your real point is to do with the objectification of women as opposed to the combat aspects of the costumes) or more skin than the men. Maybe in the old crappy 90's stuff but I'm trying to think of someone who fits that description from the MCU, recent DC stuff, X-Men et al and I can only come up with is Silk Spectre in Watchmen (but there was nudity all over the shack there). Running through a few recent francises...

X-Men - all wear similar, modest, uniforms.
    FF - all wear the same tight suits
    MCU - Pepper Pots has her mid riff out in IM3 but it wasn't a costume, she's not a "superhero" and TBF, if I had abs like that I'd have em out :p She was in the Iron Man armour too in IM3, including the midriff section. Other than her, there's only really Black Widow and the SHIELD agent, both of whom wear uniforms.

I just think you're making a bigger deal out of the whole uniforms thing than it really is. Maybe if you could provide some examples it'd help.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Captain America is a good example of a superhero who didn't need a tragic back story, he just genuinely wanted to do the right thing, even before he had his powers.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I just think you're making a bigger deal out of the whole uniforms thing than it really is. Maybe if you could provide some examples it'd help.

I can only come up with two and they both played the same character.

Rebecca Romjin-Stamos and Jennifer Lawrence.
    Not sure why Mystique had to be practically naked for the films (Not that I'm complaining)

Maybe Gamora as well at a push, but I'd say that was more for movement seeing as she's a bad ass assassin that jumps around a lot doing all sorts of stuff.

The film counterpart for most of the characters with the exception of Mystique seem to wear a lot more than the comic versions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Movie Mystique is naked because she can't morph clothes that she is actually wearing. The question to ask then, is why doesn't she morph some clothes onto her? The answer to that is, what's the point? As far as she's concerned, she's still naked. It just looks like clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The third thing that really annoys me about these movie is the depiction of women. Am I the only one who would like to see a realistic female hero? Now I get that all the male characters are buff but I honestly feel that if Hollywood wanted Jack Black or Jonah Hill to play a superhero they'd get the nod, unlike a more curvier woman to play a female superhero. Plus whilst so many of the male characters are ripped they don't seem to be going around in the same skin tight gear as their female counterparts. Do the actresses portraying Mystique even wear clothes?

Rather than a curvy woman, wouldn't it make more sense to have a actress with a build like Katie Taylor rather than Scarlett Johansson. It would satisfy the desire/need to portray a "real" woman and also add to the suspension of belief required for films like these as she genuinely does look like she could kick somebodies ass while still being feminine.

Addition: To be honest I agree with you about the armour thing, pimping Dredd again (the sort of hero film I can actually enjoy!), Anderson has very similar armour to dredd (and they do explain why she doesn't wear a helmet) it makes them seem more cohesive as an actual unit with Anderson being more than just a prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Great post up until you said Iron Man 3 was superb .:eek:

Seriously that film is what is wrong with blockbusters today ,it was a really bad film .

The first Iron Man had heart and was decent but the trilogy became more and more outlandish and cartoonish as they went on .

Downey Jnr was going through the motions in the third film ,his constant hammy acting and tics became tiresome .
    The Tony "has a panic attack” scenes were total cringe.

Its a kids film ,and that's the problem with too many of the superhero films ,they are too dumbed down .
    That's why the Dark Knight is so bloody good ,its not dumbed down .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Movie Mystique is naked because she can't morph clothes that she is actually wearing. The question to ask then, is why doesn't she morph some clothes onto her? The answer to that is, what's the point? As far as she's concerned, she's still naked. It just looks like clothes.

In First Class Charles gives out to her for not morphing on clothes but Magneto tells her to show the world how she truly appears. It's a sign of not hiding her mutantness and as you said she doesn't need clothes.

Advertisement