Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

That's what a playing partner says, I'm still entitled to a cut??..did finish outside prizes.

It happened a friend of mine, he'd won comp by a few strokes but realised the marker had got a score wrong on a hole and had to DQ himself, he still got the cut. You could always submit the card now anyway to comp sec just to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

cairny wrote: »
    It happened a friend of mine, he'd won comp by a few strokes but realised the marker had got a score wrong on a hole and had to DQ himself, he still got the cut. You could always submit the card now anyway to comp sec just to make sure.

Same markers signature?

Same markers signature?

Oh sorry I thought you had the original card, it's missing I take it? Nothing you can do now I'd say but you'll probably still get cut, golfnet should be updated tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Oh sorry I thought you had the original card, it's missing I take it? Nothing you can do now I'd say but you'll probably still get cut, golfnet should be updated tomorrow.

Yeah card is gone. My name isn't on the Howdidido results either. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

1st Q
    I was asked this yesterday in the context of a 4 ball. My view is that you are within your rights.

2nd Q.
    Rule 18.5 "If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball must be replaced." Doesn't matter if it is on or off the green

Surely that's not allowed? It seems in the context of golf rules to be a wide allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Another question... Say a person plays two competitions in one day, and shoots under par for the first one, does a handicap cut apply straight away before the second competition? For example say a guy off 18 (17.6) plays a singles competition in home club, shoots 4 under par net, and then plays a singles matchplay competition in home club after this on the same day, does the cut (for example 4 x 0.3 = 1.2 cut -reducing him to 16.4) apply? If so how do you know what the CSS will be until all cards are tallied up etc, the css may be +1, meaning its only a 0.9 cut so he plays off 17 and not 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tommo 76 wrote: »
    Another question... Say a person plays two competitions in one day, and shoots under par for the first one, does a handicap cut apply straight away before the second competition? For example say a guy off 18 (17.6) plays a singles competition in home club, shoots 4 under par net, and then plays a singles matchplay competition in home club after this on the same day, does the cut (for example 4 x 0.3 = 1.2 cut -reducing him to 16.4) apply? If so how do you know what the CSS will be until all cards are tallied up etc, the css may be +1, meaning its only a 0.9 cut so he plays off 17 and not 16?

I would reckon......

You make a best guess estimate; based on previous competitions and standard scratches, etc....

The onus is still on the player to cut himself in that situation and he makes the best guess possible. Always a safer option to cut yourself too much than too little

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

Rikand wrote: »
    I would reckon......

You make a best guess estimate; based on previous competitions and standard scratches, etc....

The onus is still on the player to cut himself in that situation and he makes the best guess possible. Always a safer option to cut yourself too much than too little

Exactly. It's up to the player to cut himself. If in doubt play off the lower handicap.
    Playing off too high a handicap and saying you didn't know the CSS from earlier won't save you from a DQ if you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Rikand wrote: »
    I would reckon......

Russman wrote: »
    Exactly. It's up to the player to cut himself. If in doubt play off the lower handicap.
    Playing off too high a handicap and saying you didn't know the CSS from earlier won't save you from a DQ if you're wrong.
    You use the SSS on the card, no guess work needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Had one today none of us were sure of, I had an idea but would like somebody who knows better

Tee'd off on par 3 and looked like it just made it over (water and reeds block view) so played a provo.

Got over and found my original buried in the bank in behind the red stakes. Used the 60% like a shovel and got it onto the green.

What were my options?

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Had one today none of us were sure of, I had an idea but would like somebody who knows better

Tee'd off on par 3 and looked like it just made it over (water and reeds block view) so played a provo.

Got over and found my original buried in the bank in behind the red stakes. Used the 60% like a shovel and got it onto the green.

What were my options?

You're not entitled to play a Provo for a ball that might be in a water hazard (if I'm reading your scenario correctly) so when you hit the second ball that was in play and you should have played out the hole with that ball, 3 off the tee obviously.

(Open to correction of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You're not entitled to play a Provo for a ball that might be in a water hazard (if I'm reading your scenario correctly) so when you hit the second ball that was in play and you should have played out the hole with that ball, 3 off the tee obviously.

(Open to correction of course)

I think he was ok to play the provisional but by doing so he was ruling out the possibility of dropping (or not dropping in this case) from the hazard unless he actually found the ball.

The provisional is basically a statement that you're not virtually certain and so the ball needs to be found & identified.

(Also very open to correction )

See below....looks like the answer is 'it depends' :)

27-2a/2 Provisional Ball Played Solely in Belief Original Ball Might Be in Water Hazard
    Q. A player's tee shot might be in a water hazard, but clearly it is not lost outside a water hazard or out of bounds. The player announces that, since his ball might be in the hazard, he is going to play a provisional ball and he does so. Rule 27-2a seems to prohibit a provisional ball in the circumstances. What is the ruling?
    A. The player did not play a provisional ball which, according to the Definition of "Provisional Ball," is a ball played under Rule 27-2 for a ball which may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds. The second ball from the tee was in play since it was not a provisional ball.

27-2a/2.2 Possibility That Original Ball Is in Water Hazard May Not Preclude Play of Provisional Ball
    Q. If a player's original ball may have come to rest in a water hazard, is he precluded from playing a provisional ball?
    A. No. Even though the original ball may be in a water hazard, the player is entitled to play a provisional ball if the original ball might also be lost outside the water hazard or out of bounds. In such a case, if the original ball is found in the water hazard, the provisional ball must be abandoned — Rule 27-2c (Formerly 27-2c/1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

See below....looks like the answer is 'it depends' :)

27-2a/2 Provisional Ball Played Solely in Belief Original Ball Might Be in Water Hazard
    Q. A player's tee shot might be in a water hazard, but clearly it is not lost outside a water hazard or out of bounds. The player announces that, since his ball might be in the hazard, he is going to play a provisional ball and he does so. Rule 27-2a seems to prohibit a provisional ball in the circumstances. What is the ruling?
    A. The player did not play a provisional ball which, according to the Definition of "Provisional Ball," is a ball played under Rule 27-2 for a ball which may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds. The second ball from the tee was in play since it was not a provisional ball.

27-2a/2.2 Possibility That Original Ball Is in Water Hazard May Not Preclude Play of Provisional Ball
    Q. If a player's original ball may have come to rest in a water hazard, is he precluded from playing a provisional ball?
    A. No. Even though the original ball may be in a water hazard, the player is entitled to play a provisional ball if the original ball might also be lost outside the water hazard or out of bounds. In such a case, if the original ball is found in the water hazard, the provisional ball must be abandoned — Rule 27-2c (Formerly 27-2c/1)

What's the source for this answer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Played Solely in Belief Original Ball Might Be in Water Hazard

So If your thought was " Original Ball Might NOT Be in Water Hazard" Then I think its OK to play
    a provisional.

not sure if this is the case, but the ruling above is more than a bit pedantic, causes more confusion than it explains.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

whizbang wrote: »
    So If your thought was " Original Ball Might NOT Be in Water Hazard" Then I think its OK to play
    a provisional.

not sure if this is the case, but the ruling above is more than a bit pedantic, causes more confusion than it explains.

I think it's needed and probably intended to stop any tomfoolery.

Eg on a par 3 over water:
    If you see a splash (or you are certain it's in the hazard) then you can't call a provisional and chance your arm with that... Ie you're not allowed a free shot at hitting a good provisional and deciding not to use it if you mess that one up.

There are many hazards with rushes etc that may block your view of a ball landing... A provisional can be hit then... As it may not be in the hazard and if it has carried them, then even if it's in the hazard, it should be easy to find/be virtually certain where the ball is.

Advertisement