Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Animals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I notice a lot of birds doing that, thrushes and finches (as far as I can tell from a speeding car like :P) and stuff. I always picture their birdy friends in the bushes going all "go on you pussy, do it! we've all done it, go!"

I do that too :o

The only things I'll actively hunt down to kill are mosquitos, awful awful things. Spiders get put outside. And I'm not bothered about chasing flies (unless they're near food).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

bnt wrote: »
    I just put a humongous rat trap outside, in a place where it'll hopefully catch the spaniel-sized rodent that's terrorizing our neighbourhood, and not squish any sparrows in the process. :eek:

re humane mouse traps: I've had good luck with those, releasing the caught mice down by the river a few hundred metres away. One might have come back, can't be sure, but there are more tempting targets for them between there and here. ;)
    Did you tie down/nail the trap to something? If it only snags a leg, it'll drag the trap off with it. It will probably still die, but you'll be down a trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Saipanne wrote: »
    Morto for ya

Morto for your face

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

pablo128 wrote: »
    Did you tie down/nail the trap to something? If it only snags a leg, it'll drag the trap off with it. It will probably still die, but you'll be down a trap.
    I put it in an enclosed composter where we suspect the rat goes but (birds don't). It's quite hard to set this particular trap off, it will pretty much have to stand on the trigger before it goes Snap. Highly doubtful it could drag the trap out of there, but we'll see.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    I put it in an enclosed composter where we suspect the rat goes but (birds don't). It's quite hard to set this particular trap off, it will pretty much have to stand on the trigger before it goes Snap. Highly doubtful it could drag the trap out of there, but we'll see.
    A good tip would be to find out where it's coming and going. This will usually be by a wall or smething, as they won't go out in the open if they can help it. Then place the trap so it has to actually walk over it, if you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

kneemos wrote: »
    Evolved to live indoors I presume.
    Could be wrong though.Though maybe not.
    Could be right.

How do you think it got to your house in the first place? The builders hardly installed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

If any of my dogs ever have to be put down I'll kill them my self.
    I hate how people get them put down by the vet, he's your dog and if you have to make the decision to get your dog put down you should be able to deal with it yourself. hard yes but killing an animal you supposedly love shouldn't be easy and its a damn sight more respectful to the animal then getting a stranger to do your dirty work.You owe it to the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Deranged96 wrote: »
    I hate how people get them put down by the vet, he's your dog and if you have to make the decision to get your dog put down you should be able to deal with it yourself. hard yes but killing an animal you supposedly love shouldn't be easy and its a damn sight more respectful to the animal then getting a stranger to do your dirty work.You owe it to the dog.

So how would you kill it? Your post seems a bit arbitrary tbh.

Macavity. wrote: »
    So how would you kill it? Your post seems a bit arbitrary tbh.

Arbitrary is hardly the right word?
    Shur I dunno, I haven't had to look into it yet, thankfully.

Arbitrary is hardly the right word?
    Shur I dunno, I haven't had to look into it yet, thankfully.

Arbitrary was the word I was looking for.

• Advertisement

Arbitrary was the word I was looking for.

But its a held belief with logical reasoning behind it....

But its a held belief with logical reasoning behind it....

It seems odd to me. Why do they owe it to their dog? Why is paying a vet to put them down humanely an issue? I would imagine doing it yourself would increase the chances of it being a painful exit for the dog.

It seems odd to me. Why do they owe it to their dog? Why is paying a vet to put them down humanely an issue? I would imagine doing it yourself would increase the chances of it being a painful exit for the dog.

Well I think you'd owe it to the dog anyway. If your mother was on life-support and the machine needed to be turned off, would you or the doctor flip the switch? (I do realise that's a far out of scale example)
    Yeah it'd increase the chances of it being painful alight. But that's something to be easily overcome with a little planning, I'm sure there are hundreds of ways of painless euthanasia

Well I think you'd owe it to the dog anyway. If your mother was on life-support and the machine needed to be turned off, would you or the doctor flip the switch? (I do realise that's a far out of scale example)
    Yeah it'd increase the chances of it being painful alight. But that's something to be easily overcome with a little planning, I'm sure there are hundreds of ways of painless euthanasia

I guess it depends on your viewpoint. A doctor or myself flipping the switch would make no difference to me personally. The outcome is the same and the decision to do it would still be mine/other members of family's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Sorry, no offence, but you seem to live up to your name.

You don't owe to your dog to kill him yourself, you owe him to give him the most painless way out of his life if that's the only way. And that's by a vet who knows what he or she is doing.

As for your "mother switching of the life support" - that's a plain stupid argument, for several reasons I won't even start to get into.

Carry wrote: »
    Sorry, no offence, but you seem to live up to your name.

You don't owe to your dog to kill him yourself, you owe him to give him the most painless way out of his life if that's the only way. And that's by a vet who knows what he or she is doing.

As for your "mother switching of the life support" - that's a plain stupid argument, for several reasons I won't even start to get into.

haha live up to me name... not the most original insult to start out with is it?
    No please, do tell me why the flipping the switch argument is stupid- with scale in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Putting down dog, bowl of feed for them to focus on and a shot from a rifle into the back of the head.

Putting down dog, bowl of feed for them to focus on and a shot from a rifle into the back of the head.
    Yep. And anything smaller you can just wring its neck.

A bit messy :P Just lace the dog food with horse meds I'd say... something that will slowly slow the heart down, nice and peaceful. Easy journey out. Last memories of home and food, not the vet's office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Someone with sense.
    If you haven't the balls (or female equivalent) to do it yourself, why make someone else do it???
    If you think your pet needs to be put down, be at least some way brave enough to make, then DO the job yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yep. And anything smaller you can just wring its neck.

shot to the back of the head is less painful than injection and a lot cheaper too

Inject the dog with heroin. S/he will enjoy that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

To be blunt... Your dog wouldn't give a f*ck.

To be blunt... Your dog wouldn't give a f*ck.

The point has gone over your head I'm afraid.

The point has gone over your head I'm afraid.

I don't see how it has.. Why does it matter who kills the dog? I'd rather be killed by a doctor than my mother, wouldn't you?

Shooting your bloody dog is less painful than an injection? I've heard it all.

Flies are annoying bastards. They get the rolled up newspaper treatment if they irritate me too much.
    Most other things I'll leave alone or shoo out the window, though I'd be hellbent on exterminating mosquitoes and cockroaches if I had to put up with them.

I don't see how it has.. Why does it matter who kills the dog? I'd rather be killed by a doctor than my mother, wouldn't you?

No actually I'd rather my Mother. She loves me the doctor doesn't. She understand the gravity of my life ending, the doctor doesn't. My mother is the woman who brought me into the world. i'd like her to take me out of it, not a man who gets paid for it, to whom I'm no one.

No actually I'd rather my Mother. She loves me the doctor doesn't. She understand the gravity of my life ending, the doctor doesn't. My mother is the woman who brought me into the world. i'd like her to take me out of it, not a man who gets paid for it, to whom I'm no one.

What? :confused: Imagine how horrible that would be for your mother. I can't fathom your logic at all, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Killing animals is a sign of psychopathic tendencies..

That being said INSECTS.. hmm it's a tricky one. There was this big fat fly driving me crazy and I squashed the bastard over and over again, the look of horror from my nearly two year old made me feel so bad!!

I think it's evil if you pick legs of daddy long legs or squash snails but i'm ok with killing wasps and sometime bees, mostly bees don't wanna sting you but wasps go after you.. anyway I'm probably a hypocrite.
    I'm terried of Moths too and would kill them but I don't like the way they almost turn to dust, it's like a piece of art saying 'look at what you did'

Generally though if something isn't bothering you, why kill it?
    I think animals are interesting and lovely, and even some insects. Although saying that I wouldn't pet a tiger that just escaped from the zoo, a penguin maybe.

Ah no in fairness bees are generally happy enough to leave you alone so I can live with them. If they get too close I try to gently shoo them away.

Same with spiders, I can live with them as long as they aren't on me. Plus they eat flies and my mortal enemy, the daddy long legs...

Wasps, however, are the spawn of the devil and any of them that enter my personal space are fair game.

• Advertisement

But she's still making the decision, just that you don't put her through the trauma of actually killing you? All you're doing is romanticising the idea of being put to death, and acting as if it'll somehow matter when you're dead and buried that someone you loved killed you instead of someone who's been trained to deal with such traumatic events.

Back to the point; Your dog doesn't think like you do, as far as they're concerned you've just killed them, they're not capable of thinking "oh he's doing this to put me out of my misery because he loves me". Why do you owe it to your dog to kill it instead of a vet doing it?

Advertisement