Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Animals

Options
  • 28-07-2014 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Just killed a fly that was on my screen.

When is it ok to kill an animal because it annoys you or something else trivial? What animals do you draw the line with?

Edit: Insects ARE until proven otherwise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

A big fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Don't kill a dog, Everything else is fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Actual animals. I try to feck insects out the window if I can, rather than kill them, but if there's a heap of flies around and that's not an option, they're gonna get smushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Last time I looked a fly was an insect, not an animal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Good question.Is a fly's life any less important than a dog or a seal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Last time I looked a fly was an insect, not an animal. :)

Still an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

kneemos wrote: »
    Still an animal.

Actually, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

I would draw the line with animals that benefit the ecosystem, like say a honey bee.but I would kill an insect/animal that attacks you for no reason like a horsefly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

ch20 wrote: »
    I would draw the line with animals that benefit the ecosystem, like say a honey bee.but I would kill an insect/animal that attacks you for no reason like a horsefly.
    I like dogs. But if a dog attacked me I would kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Rule of thumb normally is,
    if they can't kill you,
    then why kill them, unless you
    are going to eat them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

I try my best not to kill anything,even moths,ants or annoying fly's.

Had to kill a wasp in the bathroom yesterday as it wouldn't fly out the window no matter how hard I tried to shoo him out with a newspaper,and I felt a bit bad about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Actually, no.

Actually, yes. They are part of the Kingdom of Animalia. Insects are animals, I don't understand why some people can't get that. Baffling. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Actually, no.

Yes??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

Actually, no.

Actually yes

kneemos wrote: »
    Good question.Is a fly's life any less important than a dog or a seal?

Well, kind of. Individually they've higher ecological roles and ranks in nature -in the seal's case, and a dog has more importance for humans' uses and needs. Collectively as a species, they're all just as important.

But the fact that insects have no spindle fibres or any advanced neurological system that allows them to feel pain means you wouldn't feel as guilty if you killed a fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

According to yahoo answers.
    Of course! What did you think it was, a plant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I don't like killing fly's but if they keep buzzing around me then that spray is coming out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I never kill spiders. Allies against the fly menace.

Am I hypocritical?

I never kill spiders. Allies against the fly menace.

Am I hypocritical?
    Do you live with a woman? They scream loudly when in close proximity to a spider. It then has to be killed. If I'm not there, she has, on occasion hoovered them up before bunging the hose with tissue. I have to then empty the thing when I get home.
    I taught my 5 year old daughter how to pick spiders up by the leg. But she prefers standing on them. "Did you hear that one crunch, daddy?":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

According to yahoo answers.

Yahoo answers is a worse reference than AH.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Do you live with a woman? They scream loudly when in close proximity to a spider. It then has to be killed. If I'm not there, she has, on occasion hoovered them up before bunging the hose with tissue. I have to then empty the thing when I get home.
    I taught my 5 year old daughter how to pick spiders up by the leg. But she prefers standing on them. "Did you hear that one crunch, daddy?":D

I lived with 3 sisters growing up. You couldn't believe the fúcking fun I had stock piling spiders and moths to put in their beds and makeup!

Sure I still haven't grown up. I put a fat moth in one of my sisters pillowcases for her to find in the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I have an alliance with spiders, they stick to their area and I stick to mine and we get along just fine. I hate flies so between Horace the gigantic spider and the two dogs who will munch on flies we seem to be ok.
    I'm a lady by the way so unless the spider is running across my bed there will be no screaming here. And then they get the glass and cardboard treatment and put outside.
    Hate moths, crazy erratic flying little hairy bodied things. I would be ok if they weren't like drunk flappy furry things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Why kill anything unless you have to?
    They are there for a reason.
    Part of the food chain.
    Maybe not yours but some
    animals survive on this food source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Seals are half dog half fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Karl Stein wrote: »

And they're insects, not animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Oh earwigs die. Hate them, have been terrified of those creepy little bastárds since I was a kid. I have no idea what their purpose is but I don't care, they are no honey bee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There's a web across my window that catches a lot of the smaller bugs that are attracted to the light. I won't harm my spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Karl Stein wrote: »

And they're good for keeping in the flavour too.
    Awww yeahhhhh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

So a seal walks into a club....

Hate the feckin' earwigs myself. With a vengeance. They are evil brutes of things. Couldn't kill an animal myself. A human probably. Saw a tiny kitten run over once years ago. Wasn't right for ages after it.

• Advertisement

So a seal walks into a club....

Hate the feckin' earwigs myself. With a vengeance. They are evil brutes of things. Couldn't kill an animal myself. A human probably. Saw a tiny kitten run over once years ago. Wasn't right for ages after it.
    I saw a cat accidentally run over in the work car park by one of the lads. It kept bucking 3 or 4 feet in the air wailing until one of the other lads put it out of its misery with a shovel.

Advertisement