Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Animals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Look what I found in my garden, so cute :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

kneemos wrote: »
    Good question.Is a fly's life any less important than a dog or a seal?

No. But you could lump human in there and i would say the same. I am operating from the premise however that no single life is significant in the scheme of things. Our inherent importance is a folly fuelled by the limitations of the self :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 SirCreepalot

My rule is that if it has more than 4 legs or fewer than 2, I can kill it.

I love your video :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Insects over produce offspring, the reproduction cycle fully accepts every other living thing on the planet is trying to kill them. So people killing a few dozen is meaningless and nature laughs at your feeble attempts to stop the insects annoying your brain.

I generally don't go out of my way to kill any animal. The only things I can't stand are those tiny little hoverflies that seem to enjoy flying right in front of your face, the problem is they're nearly impossible to hit. Probably worse is the giant house fly that wakes up when you turn off the lights at night and get into bed, it's like the ****er is just waiting for you to relax so it can start bouncing off all the walls and zipping by your ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

House spiders can't survive outdoors afaik,better off killing it.

Then how'd they get into the house?

• Advertisement

Killing animals is a sign of psychopathic tendencies..

That being said INSECTS.. hmm it's a tricky one. There was this big fat fly driving me crazy and I squashed the bastard over and over again, the look of horror from my nearly two year old made me feel so bad!!

I think it's evil if you pick legs of daddy long legs or squash snails but i'm ok with killing wasps and sometime bees, mostly bees don't wanna sting you but wasps go after you.. anyway I'm probably a hypocrite.
    I'm terried of Moths too and would kill them but I don't like the way they almost turn to dust, it's like a piece of art saying 'look at what you did'

Generally though if something isn't bothering you, why kill it?
    I think animals are interesting and lovely, and even some insects. Although saying that I wouldn't pet a tiger that just escaped from the zoo, a penguin maybe.

Read somewhere that more species of wasps die from stinging that bees, just that the most common bee in ireland dies if it stings.

Never been stung by a wasp and i let them hang around me if that's their bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Last time I looked a fly was an insect, not an animal. :)

Morto for ya

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Read somewhere that more species of wasps die from stinging that bees, just that the most common bee in ireland dies if it stings.

Never been stung by a wasp and i let them hang around me if that's their bag.

I thought wasps do not ie from stinging, this is because their stinger is not barbed like a honey bee, the only species of bee that dies from stinging. They also die if they have sex, terrible design that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I thought wasps do not ie from stinging, this is because their stinger is not barbed like a honey bee, the only species of bee that dies from stinging. Terrible design that !

They could do with an upgrade to be fair. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They could do with an upgrade to be fair. :p

Especially after you read my edit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

House spiders can't survive outdoors afaik,better off killing it.

How do you think they survived for millions (or at least tens of thousands) of years before people started building houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Mosquitos and midges, I kill em dead.

Blue-bottles and wasps, I'll try to get them out a window but I'm not going to spend more than about 15 minutes on it. If they're too thick and bastarding to go out by then, they're getting got. They're pricks anyways.

Moths and daddylonglegs: If they don't bother me, I don't bother them, if I'm trying to watch TV/laptop and they keep flinging themselves at the screen then they get the same treatment as the blue-bottles and wasps.

Spiders, bees, butterflies: don't kill, try and put the bees and butterflies out if I find them.

Outdoorsy insects: leave them alone, no need to be killing them at all.

Other animals: I once found an injured mouse in a laundry room at work and brought it home in my pocket to mind, so you can probably figure out my attitude to other animals from that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

aidoh wrote: »
    How do you think they survived for millions (or at least tens of thousands) of years before people started building houses?

The aliens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Try to get flies and wasps to get out the window, if all else fails it gets swatted.
    I do try and get bee's outside safely though, numbers of them are dropping fast.

Keep spiders about, unless it has an egg sack, no time for 100s of them.

I would and have put injured animals out of their misery on roadside before, but it still makes me feel awful bad, but then I think I should not let it die slowly? Awful situation.

Edit: Mice/rats get the trap straight away.
    With mice I will consider a humane trap then release them a good 3-4miles away in a field, but rats, no, traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I killed a pigeon this morning.

I was driving up to work behing another car. He was in the middle of the road, I pulled out to over take just as Mr Pigeon started to flap away accross to the other side of the carriageway - the side I just pulled out into.
    BAM!

Feathers and a big loud girly scream (from me)!

Why did he fly accross the road - Why?

I do be on the road early myself and pigeons seem to be especially stupid, they wait until the last minute and then decide to take off right in the direction of the car.

Crows and magpies seem to be a lot smarter, they are well out of the way before a car gets near.

I do be on the road early myself and pigeons seem to be especially stupid, they wait until the last minute and then decide to take off right in the direction of the car.

Crows and magpies seem to be a lot smarter, they are well out of the way before a car gets near.

I notice a lot of birds doing that, thrushes and finches (as far as I can tell from a speeding car like :P) and stuff. I always picture their birdy friends in the bushes going all "go on you pussy, do it! we've all done it, go!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Early in the morning they're cold, and so their flight muscles aren't up to temperature which makes them more sluggish than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Don't kill a dog, Everything else is fair game.

Even meerkats?

Not keen at all on rodents or flies because of the disease they carry and because they creep me out. Flies are annoying as hell but I generally try shoo them out a window or door. Rodents get caught in humane traps.

Spiders I hate, and I don't have any pangs of conscience in putting them out of my misery. I don't want them laying 100's of eggs in a sac and multiplying exponentially until they take over my living space. Sure, it's unlikely but I'd still rather not risk it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Alun wrote: »
    Early in the morning they're cold, and so their flight muscles aren't up to temperature which makes them more sluggish than usual.

Unfortunately they are a lot colder by the time the Golf has finished with them, if I see them I'll slow down to give them time to get out of the way but sometimes they are hidden in the grass by the side of the road and out they come at the wrong time :(

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Not keen at all on rodents or flies because of the disease they carry and because they creep me out. Flies are annoying as hell but I generally try shoo them out a window or door. Rodents get caught in humane traps.

Spiders I hate, and I don't have any pangs of conscience in putting them out of my misery. I don't want them laying 100's of eggs in a sac and multiplying exponentially until they take over my living space. Sure, it's unlikely but I'd still rather not risk it. :(

Apparently a lot of the reason they lay so many eggs is because the widdle baba spiders will eat each other as soon as look at you, so you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

aidoh wrote: »

Evolved to live indoors I presume.
    Could be wrong though.Though maybe not.
    Could be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I kill nothing.

If it's a fly, wasp, spider, whatever, it goes out the window.

What the fcuk is the point in killing something? Could never undertsand it.

And what happens to a house spider when you throw it out the window?

Apparently a lot of the reason they lay so many eggs is because the widdle baba spiders will eat each other as soon as look at you, so you'll be grand!

Cannibal spiders.:eek:

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Candie wrote: »
    Cannibal spiders.:eek:

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

:(

Some species of spider the mother carries the brood on her body and when they hatch she vibrates and drives them into a frenzy.

Then they eat her :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

kingtut wrote: »
    Look what I found in my garden, so cute :)

Adorable!!:)

No problem killing/eating animals as long as it's for a reason, (food, threat, the bóllócks won't fly out the window after 15 minutes of trying to catch it).

I suppose this might be a relevant thread to ask: a friend of mine told me about the idea of purchasing and developing ant farms for ants of different species and then connecting the farms to let the ant colonies fight each other to the death.

http://www.tickld.com/funny/t/810421

This seems a bit cruel to me, but also temptingly interesting. What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Wouldn't want to kill anything living, even apologize to the apple trees when I prune them in the winter :o

BUT: I live in the country side and I turn absolutely vicious by now when my home is invaded by creepy crawlies, like slugs and snails (ever found one on the toilet seat?). They go down the toilet! No mercy.

Spiders are fine as long as they keep their population reasonable - and out of my bedroom. They eat after all other creepy crawlies. Though I have to tidy up after them.

After the tragic death of my cat the mice thought they could have a party in the house. They don't fear my dog who isn't bothered anyway.
    First I caught them in a humane trap and brought them outside. Forget it. They come back, unless you drive them at least 10km away.
    Now I kill them. They once invaded my larder and nibbled everything not in a tin or in a glass container.

What I'd like to kill to extinction are midges. They eat me alive in humid summer evenings! But there is no way to kill them - too many and too tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just put a humongous rat trap outside, in a place where it'll hopefully catch the spaniel-sized rodent that's terrorizing our neighbourhood, and not squish any sparrows in the process. :eek:

re humane mouse traps: I've had good luck with those, releasing the caught mice down by the river a few hundred metres away. One might have come back, can't be sure, but there are more tempting targets for them between there and here. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Some species of spider the mother carries the brood on her body and when they hatch she vibrates and drives them into a frenzy.

Then they eat her :eek:

Well, that's my nightmares sorted for later. :(

Advertisement