Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meter Question.......yes, another one.

Options
  • 27-07-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as a lot of meters have been installed already, I'm assuming that they are clocking up readings as water is flowing through them.

How do Irish Water know how much water I have used when my first bill is due? The meter started clocking once it was installed but we aren't supposed to start paying for water until next year.

Are Irish Water going to miraculously read every water meter in the country at midnight on New Years Eve to get accurate water bills or do we get illegally charged for what we are using now also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They will switch them all off and back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Santa is being given the contract on his rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

We'll just get another patronising bullshít ad explaining this in a few weeks time.

"Safeguarding your water for your future" my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am I the only one who is totally confused by the Water Charges? :confused:
    I keep hearing different reports. Last of which was that the first bill in 2015 will just be a flat rate for all. Then actual charging on usage will commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They will switch them all off and back on again.

All of them at exactly the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I only bathe in, and drink tea made with, Evian water anyway.

Edit: On reflection, that sounds like I drink tea made from my own bath water. This is not the case at all. Well, not all the time at least. Special occasions only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

They have huge water beakers to measure how much you used

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

If I get sick in my sink and it flows where the water flows, will that count as water and will I be charged for getting sick?

BattleCorp wrote: »

Yep, the meters have built in wireless and can be controlled remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

more than one house has been purchased for key money, what will happen then, who will geet the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Water meters?

Are they putting in water meters?

First I've heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

BattleCorp wrote: »

Set it to GMT time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

No the don't. The can be read by passing near them but they cannot be controlled.

stimpson wrote: »
    No the don't. The can be read by passing near them but they cannot be controlled.

I have inside knowledge on this and they do, the meters have a processor and uses gps to communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭paulbok

GPS is not a communication tool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

stimpson wrote: »

Correct. Readings commence in October. Bills in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

ooh! Hacker opportunity. I can see the ads now -

"Water meter correction - we can correct your water meter readout, takes two minutes, Mobile service..."

They can fit it in between knocking 60 thou off VW Passats..

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I have inside knowledge on this and they do, the meters have a processor and uses gps to communicate.

LOL. And LOL again. Inside knowledge, and completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They know you touch your meter at night..

All true, i cant reveal any more info duty bound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

LOL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I read your username as BottleCap... Might be time to sleep.

They use GPS to communicate? Riiiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

The meters can be communicated wirelessly from about 100 meters through a radio wave transmitter/receiver, which can be used to get data from the meter. It cannot be done over the internet. I'm 99% sure it's not possible to reset the meters wirelessly - I believe they have to be manually reset. The meters also do not have GPS built-in - the handhelds that read them do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

The meters can be communicated wirelessly from about 100 meters through a radio wave transmitter/receiver, which can be used to get data from the meter. It cannot be done over the internet. I'm 99% sure it's not possible to reset the meters wirelessly - I believe they have to be manually reset. The meters also do not have GPS built-in - the handhelds that read them do.

they are easy to hack apparently.. which means a hacker can hack their water meter and reduce their bill, or hack a neighbour's meter that they don't like and increase their bill. These meters can also be used for surveillance since water usage indicates the presence or absence of the homeowner.

they are easy to hack apparently.. which means a hacker can hack their water meter and reduce their bill, or hack a neighbour's meter that they don't like and increase their bill.

I wouldn't say they're that easy to hack to be honest. Itron are the biggest water meter manufacturer in the world, so I doubt they wouldn't have tested this sort of thing, especially with a customer like IW who is going to be one of the biggest water utilities in Europe once all the meters are installed.
    These meters can also be used for surveillance since water usage indicates the presence or absence of the homeowner.

Build a contraption to flush your toilet every half hour :D

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Yep - they have been using the same flowmeter collection systems in Australia for a while now (they'll be using more or less the same unit here - same manufacturer, the old man is involved in the handover of the pumping stations and water network to Irish water at the moment). In and around a 100m range, radio transmission and reception only, no GPS or anything like that. Most meters will be read by a handheld meter on a driveby, but in towns and cities where the meters are less than 100m apart, you can read all of the meters in an area from an endpoint data collection point - the meters can relay data from the end of the line up the chain to the receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Yeah, it's true it would be fairly easy to disrupt the meter communicating if you know the frequency at which the transponder ("MIU") on the meter communicates on. If you know this, it's just a case of broadcasting another signal at the same frequency near the meter.

Hacking isn't as easy, because you'll need to know what each frame the MIU sends looks like, i.e. how the data it sends is formatted.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's true it would be fairly easy to disrupt the meter communicating if you know the frequency at which the transponder ("MIU") on the meter communicates on. If you know this, it's just a case of broadcasting another signal at the same frequency near the meter.

Hacking isn't as easy, because you'll need to know what each frame the MIU sends looks like, i.e. how the data it sends is formatted.

The wireless signal is encrypted with AES I believe.

Advertisement