Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody else in the family is at the Commonwealth Games, so why aren't we?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The European games are being introduced next year, so that will give Irish athletes a chance to experience a 'Games' environment before the Olympics.

That said it would be nice to have a southern team competing at Glasgow, and when I wouldn't have any objection to rejoining the CW I think many others would, not worth the hassle really is it. It's a political can of worms that no party would want to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Maybe the US should join the commonwealth and win everything.

The point being that we were in the Commonwealth, and then we left without any proper political process, or without any consultation with the people. We just left and that was that . . . .

Leaving the Commonwealth 'the way we did' was the big mistake, according to many down the years, from De Valera right up to many politicians today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

wasn't it formerly known as the EMPIRE GAMES

basically a relic of british imperialism

If scotland vote for independence, does that mean they won't be part of team GB at next Olympics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I love after hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If scotland vote for independence, does that mean they won't be part of team GB at next Olympics?

Correct, they will be Team Scotland.

but they will still be in the commonwealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

LordSutch wrote: »
    The point being that we were in the Commonwealth without any proper political process, or without any consultation with the people, and then we left without any proper political process, or without any consultation with the people.

This would be a more truthful reflection of it.

realies wrote: »
    I love after hours.

What event's could AH hold? Who would be classed as favourites?

Sitting on the fence relay race?

Technically speaking GB will cease to exist, without Scotland it would be just Britain (England & Wales) and the UK would be "A United Kingdom of Britain & Northern Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

realies wrote: »
    I love after hours.

realies?

• Advertisement

Technically speaking GB will cease to exist, without Scotland it would be just Britain (England & Wales) and the UK would be "A United Kingdom of Britain & Northern Ireland"

Team B doesn't have the same motivating ring to it lol.

Team NIB??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

How about reforming the Tailteann Games 

The Ras Tailteann is still around.

Team B doesn't have the same motivating ring to it lol.

Team NIB??? ;)

They'd be all better off competing as separate entities imo and doing away with team GB.

Although I suppose its the way the funding is set up over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

The point being that we were in the Commonwealth, and then we left without any proper political process, or without any consultation with the people. We just left and that was that . . . .

Leaving the Commonwealth 'the way we did' was the big mistake, according to many down the years, from De Valera right up to many politicians today.

DeValera didn't want to leave the British empire...sorry Commonwealth because the North was not part of Ireland yet. He didn't like British imperialists, monarchy, etc. He wanted to wait until then.

Could you tell us LordSutch what politicians today want Ireland to join the lost colonies of Britain?

It's not the fact that Britain had an empire that I find insulting. That was long ago.

It's the fact that they try to paint themselves as once a leader of a group "of nations" promoting democracy or some other nonsense.

They have a problem with the EU, but not with the British commonwealth ...strange.

Will be hilarious when so many of these "athletes" claim asylum.

I don't remember being consultation to join the then British empire.

'Nearly' every country in the world who has even the slightest connection to Britain is there competing in every sport represented, from boxing to athletics, to karate, to rugby, horse riding, shooting, and swimming, yet the ROI is completly absent, leaving NI to go it alone as usual :mad:

Yes, I know the reasons well, and I know that I will probably get a massive backlash for even suggesting that we should be rubbing shoulders with the Welsh, the Scots, the English, Canadians, Aussies, Indians etc etc, but I still can't help thinking that here we are (the closest of all to Britain) yet still sulking & absent as usual since about 1959, when some drunken Dail politician decided on the spur of the moment that "Ireland had now left the commonwealth".

Personally I think we should rejoin for no other reason than to be able to participate in the games. There would of course be a lot of trade opportunities with other CW countries too, that might also come into play with such connections. I think its been a disgrace that we have been absent from the commonwealth family for so long.

What say you?

Sits in bunker with pith helmet on, waiting for the artillery shells to rain in :D

Video won't play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj3KZa1ZCM

I think this sums up the mickey mouse Olympics, Sutch.

"Netball ....like Basketball without the rights."

Nothing wrong with netball! Loved playing WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

A commentator said Mo Farah would be disappointed because he wants to win the "top 3" .. of an Olympic gold , world championship gold .... and a commonwealth gold !

Unlikely in my opinion.

Its a s**** competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

InReality wrote: »
    Some commentator said that every athlete wants to win an Olympic gold , world championship gold .... and a commonwealth gold.

Yeah right.

Its a s**** competition.

So you finished fourth again this year?

Better luck next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Madam wrote: »
    Until about a week ago you would have needed your pith helmet around me. Now I've seen what it has brought to Glasgow I've changed my mind - the place has been transformed and the city is buzzing you just can't help but be upbeat about the whole thing. Yes perhaps it would do nothing but good for Ireland to re join the Commonwealth after all Scotland is staying in and I 'm sure it won't do this country any harm.
    bilston wrote: »
    You can be in the Commonwealth and not have the Queen as your head of state so that wouldn't change at all.

Personally I don't give a flying fox for the symbolism and I'm not a great sports fan.

I do though think it would be good for the country to rejoin. Great for the athletes. Great for Dublin if we got to host. Great for the economy.

I'll fuck off now and put my tin hat on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think this sums up the mickey mouse Olympics, Sutch.

"Netball ....like Basketball without the rights."

An opening ceremony like an off Broadway production of the Olympics. :)

InReality wrote: »
    Some commentator said that every athlete wants to win an Olympic gold , world championship gold .... and a commonwealth gold.

Yeah right.

Its a s**** competition.

It's a nice set to have.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Do you have to be in the Commonwealth to be in the Commonwealth Games?

If we were invited to take part as a non-Commonwealth nation then no problem*.

However, the games themselves are meaningless on an global level. A Spanish friend of mine, a huge athletics fan, had never even heard of it.

How many of you have heard of the Mediterranean Games or Pan-American Games.

* Although separate IRL and NI teams could cause loads of problems. Actually, lets just leave things the way they are for the moment.

What events are you attending? What's the buzz like around Glasgow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

What event's could AH hold? Who would be classed as favourites?

Sitting on the fence relay race?

Well we would dominate the high-horse racing events anyhow.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What events are you attending? What's the buzz like around Glasgow?

Currently at the velodrome. Great atmosphere there and across the city. Martyn Irvine will be in the points race final shortly and certainly has a good chance to get a medal for NI

Beasty wrote: »
    Currently at the velodrome. Great atmosphere there and across the city. Martyn Irvine will be in the points race final shortly and certainly has a good chance to get a medal for NI

Oooh, give us a wave. Better still get a pen and paper and write "HELLO BOARDSIES"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In fairness you don't hear to many of our athletes expressing views that they want to compete at the commonwealth games .

If they want to i wouldn't be against it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

but I still can't help thinking that here we are (the closest of all to Britain) yet still sulking & absent as usual since about 1959

Look ourselves and Britain are good friends now, doesn't mean we have to do everything together. We need our own space. Let them off with their games.

Advertisement