Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody else in the family is at the Commonwealth Games, so why aren't we?

Options
  • 26-07-2014 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

'Nearly' every country in the world who has even the slightest connection to Britain is there competing in every sport represented, from boxing to athletics, to karate, to rugby, horse riding, shooting, and swimming, yet the ROI is completly absent, leaving NI to go it alone as usual :mad:

Yes, I know the reasons well, and I know that I will probably get a massive backlash for even suggesting that we should be rubbing shoulders with the Welsh, the Scots, the English, Canadians, Aussies, Indians etc etc, but I still can't help thinking that here we are (the closest of all to Britain) yet still sulking & absent as usual since about 1959, when some drunken Dail politician decided on the spur of the moment that "Ireland had now left the commonwealth".

Personally I think we should rejoin for no other reason than to be able to participate in the games. There would of course be a lot of trade opportunities with other CW countries too, that might also come into play with such connections. I think its been a disgrace that we have been absent from the commonwealth family for so long.

What say you?

Sits in bunker with pith helmet on, waiting for the artillery shells to rain in :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

France is just as close to Britain and they're not in it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

France is not part of the Commonwealth family of Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We could have a Commonpoor Games with Spain,Portugal and Greece

Pakistan left, then decided that they were better off in so rejoined.

Tbh I doubt most people would have the slightest idea what the "family of commonwealth nations" is. Is it just something you made up? Ireland most certainly isn't in the commonwealth, so of course it's not in the commonwealth games. We're not in the African Cup of Nations either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

We have GAA, the greatest sports ever.

Poor Span, can't even afford an "i" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FierceMild

We actually left the Commonwealth in 1949 with the implementation of the Ireland Act. It wasn't just a drunken Dail deputy.

Also, I quite like having a President instead of the Queen. Michael D is good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

LordSutch wrote: »

Neither is Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

'Nearly' every country in the world who has even the slightest connection to Britain is there competing in every sport represented, from boxing to athletics, to karate, to rugby, horse riding, shooting, and swimming, yet the ROI is completly absent, leaving NI to go it alone as usual :mad:

Yes, I know the reasons well, and I know that I will probably get a massive backlash for even suggesting that we should be rubbing shoulders with the Welsh, the Scots, the English, Canadians, Aussies, Indians etc etc, but I still can't help thinking that here we are (the closest of all to Britain) yet still sulking & absent as usual since about 1959, when some drunken Dail politician decided on the spur of the moment that "Ireland had now left the commonwealth".

Personally I think we should rejoin for no other reason than to be able to participate in the games. There would of course be a lot of trade opportunities with other CW countries too, that might also come into play with such connections. I think its been a disgrace that we have been absent from the commonwealth family for so long.

What say you?

Sits in bunker with pith helmet on, waiting for the artillery shells to rain in :D

I have been waiting for this thread since the games began, so let them start here.... Carry on :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Until about a week ago you would have needed your pith helmet around me. Now I've seen what it has brought to Glasgow I've changed my mind - the place has been transformed and the city is buzzing you just can't help but be upbeat about the whole thing. Yes perhaps it would do nothing but good for Ireland to re join the Commonwealth after all Scotland is staying in and I 'm sure it won't do this country any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The sporting worlds equivalent of the school sports day.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Poor Span, can't even afford an "i" :P

they are paying to get their name back in installments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

We should get the Aran Islands into the Island Games.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Maybe the US should join the commonwealth and win everything.

kneemos wrote: »

School sports days don't bring coffers to a countries pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Or, just 'common'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

More like the Special Paralympics!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Madam wrote: »
    School sports days don't bring coffers to a countries pot!

Thought sport was about competing against the best.Pardon me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

How about reforming the Tailteann Games 

• Advertisement

Barry mcguigan won a commonwealth gold for NI when he was 17.

Dunno how he qualified as i dozed off to sleep when he was talking about it.

Favourite event so far was this mornings triathlon mixed relay.

That too:o

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Madam wrote: »
    Until about a week ago you would have needed your pith helmet around me. Now I've seen what it has brought to Glasgow I've changed my mind - the place has been transformed and the city is buzzing you just can't help but be upbeat about the whole thing. Yes perhaps it would do nothing but good for Ireland to re join the Commonwealth after all Scotland is staying in and I 'm sure it won't do this country any harm.

Scotland haven't voted yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"Family" me hole. It's more like a club for victims of abuse.
    when some drunken Dail politician decided on the spur of the moment that "Ireland had now left the commonwealth"..

Any other stereotypes you want to fire in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

FierceMild wrote: »
    Also, I quite like having a President instead of the Queen. Michael D is good craic.

You can be in the Commonwealth and not have the Queen as your head of state so that wouldn't change at all.

Barry mcguigan won a commonwealth gold for NI when he was 17.

Dunno how he qualified as i dozed off to sleep when he was talking about it.

Favourite event so far was this mornings triathlon mixed relay.

He changed his nationality - so I'm told.

Come on now, sport doesn't get more elite than Sri Lanka playing a game of quiddich against Namibia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Henwin wrote: »

Even if Scotland goes independent Alex Salmond has been pretty clear that the Queen will remain head of state, although even then that isn't a pre requisite of being in the Commonwealth.

Henwin wrote: »

Oops jumping ahead of myself:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's kinda cr@p though even the best athletes don't compete ("injured")

Advertisement