Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody else in the family is at the Commonwealth Games, so why aren't we?

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Choochtown

fryup wrote: »
    but it was a neutral anthem ffs, can't see why he's getting his knickers in a twist

Don't think he was too bothered. People are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. He's naturally a very talkative person and was just cracking on to the Welsh lad on the bronze medal step.
    Big pity that his sporting achievements are being talked about less than a private comment to a fellow competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Choochtown wrote: »
    Don't think he was too bothered. People are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. He's naturally a very talkative person and was just cracking on to the Welsh lad on the bronze medal step.
    Big pity that his sporting achievements are being talked about less than a private comment to a fellow competitor.

Barnes shouldn't be talking during the anthems

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

NI have 12 medals, 9 of which are in the boxing, the fighting Irish indeed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

NI have 12 medals, 9 of which are in the boxing, the fighting Irish indeed :)

Bowls and Judo is the other 3

The one thing i will say about these games is that despite the perception of them being imperialist propaganda, there are few if any chances on regular occasions for alot of those athletes from Jersey, Guernsey, The Isle of man, Wales and Scotland to represent their region as a separate entity. I wont add Northern Ireland in that due to them being er... well, a bit of a 'grey area'.

In the Olympics and other International events, Wales, Scotland, etc, are only recognised as Great British athletes but all of these regions have their own culture and identity. At the very least they are afforded the opportunity to stand proud under their own flag in the Commonwealth Games.

• Advertisement

The one thing i will say about these games is that despite the perception of them being imperialist propaganda, there are few if any chances on regular occasions for alot of those athletes from Jersey, Guernsey, The Isle of man, Wales and Scotland to represent their region as a separate entity. I wont add Northern Ireland in that due to them being er... well, a bit of a 'grey area'.

In the Olympics and other International events they are only recognised as Great British athletes but all of these regions have their own culture and identity. At the very least they are afforded the opportunity to stand proud under their own flag in the Commonwealth Games.

Em, no, in the Olympics they are part of Ireland not Britain.

Em, no, in the Olympics they are part of Ireland not Britain.

Sorry i should have clarified i was referring to Wales, Scotland, IoM, etc in that sentance. The North actually represent both Britain and Ireland in the Olympics depending on their choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

efb wrote: »
    Barnes shouldn't be talking during the anthems
    Ah sure it's only a piece of music. People shouldn't be getting their knickers in a twist over a bit of chit-chat on the podium.

However as team captain he should have kept his opinions on it to himself. Danny Boy seems like a reasonable compromise, or would he rather like the footballers they use GSTQ, or worse still commission Phil Coulter to compose a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

While I very much side of the green side of the fence, it was a little churlish of Barnes to mouth off during the 'anthems'. He knew full well this would happen and if he was that bothered, he could have pulled a sickie and not boxed at the games at all.

The BBC has had a massive hard on for the past 2 weeks with it's orgasmic coverage over the past 2 weeks. I said to the missus Saturday that no doubt there games will be the 'greatest ever'. Sure enough this morning on the BBC the games have been hailed as the 'greatest ever'. Turned to missus and we just laughed (she is English).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I said to the missus Saturday that no doubt there games will be the 'greatest ever'. Sure enough this morning on the BBC the games have been hailed as the 'greatest ever'. Turned to missus and we just laughed (she is English).

they'll say it about the RWC next year as well. i would imagine it's standard fluff, trying to drum a bit of interest in it.

• Advertisement

they'll say it about the RWC next year as well. i would imagine it's standard fluff, trying to drum a bit of interest in it.

Oh of course, it is not the 'greatest ever' unless there is some British element. Even with flight MH17. They couldnt just say, the black box is gone for expert analysis. They had to say it is with 'British experts'. It's so bad now it's funny.

Maybe I have lived too long here but I don't actually think there is anything wrong with that. I can guarantee that RTE would have said Irish experts if the black box went to Ireland

Maybe I have lived too long here but I don't actually think there is anything wrong with that. I can guarantee that RTE would have said Irish experts if the black box went to Ireland

They say it at every single news bulletin. Sure say, it's with experts in, say, Devon as an add on but not as the main almost in bold first thing out of their mouth.

Take this morning for example. At 7.00 am the first 8 minutes of news was taken up as follows:

7.00 - 7.07- WWI commemoration
    7.08 - 7.08- 200 + killed in China and some more random Palestinians killed in Gaza. Basically 1 minute.

I am sorry, but the news should be about current affairs and WWI matters should not take 7 miniutes of the main headlines. Yes have it later on by all means. Official Britain is far more comfortable reliving the past and WWI nostalgia is at an all time high. Stuck in a time warp. It's sickening.

Sorry I am really detesting the BBC at the moment (I live in England)....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They say it at every single news bulletin. Sure say, it's with experts in, say, Devon as an add on but not as the main almost in bold first thing out of their mouth.

Take this morning for example. At 7.00 am the first 8 minutes of news was taken up as follows:

7.08 - 7.08- 200 + killed in China and some more random Palestinians killed in Gaza. Basically 1 minute.

I am sorry, but the news should be about current affairs and WWI matters should not take 7 miniutes of the main headlines. Yes have it later on by all means. Official Britain is far more comfortable reliving the past and WWI nostalgia is at an all time high. Stuck in a time warp. It's sickening.

German news did similar, if it's of any consolation...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I agree about the WW1 stuff. It always amazes me the amount of people who think WW1 was about good vs evil rather than imperialism

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I agree about the WW1 stuff. It always amazes me the amount of people who think WW1 was about good vs evil rather than imperialism

You couls say that about any war, to be fair. Especially when the media get involved.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Do you not have more than one channel on your tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

Oh of course, it is not the 'greatest ever' unless there is some British element. Even with flight MH17. They couldnt just say, the black box is gone for expert analysis. They had to say it is with 'British experts'. It's so bad now it's funny.

The black boxes were sent to the AAIB near Farnborough for analysis - hopefully by experts - and an outside chance that some of them might be British.

German news did similar, if it's of any consolation...

Yeah I was lamenting the fact I do not have a mainland European news channel as a comparative.

Do you not have more than one channel on your tv?

I do. But at 7.00am the choice is not great. It's either that or Bob the Builder and quite often I will watch Bob the Builder even if the young one is off elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

my da isn't?!! he told me he wasn't.

Advertisement