Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody else in the family is at the Commonwealth Games, so why aren't we?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

fryup wrote: »
    that insular parochial muck :rolleyes:

you gotta be kiddin
    You posted that $hit before :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I live in the UK and TBH the general public (from what I can tell in the Midlands) cldnt give a flying **** about them.

The cheer leader in chief is the BBC and it's quite pathetic. It reeks of insecurity they way they are trying to pump them up into some sort of mini Olympics.

For me, the games resemble the FA Cup...harmless that gives everyone a nice warm fuzzy feeling for the little guy but ultimately nobody really gives a crap.

LordSutch wrote: »
    'Nearly' every country in the world who has even the slightest connection to Britain is there competing in every sport represented, from boxing to athletics, to karate, to rugby, horse riding, shooting, and swimming, yet the ROI is completly absent, leaving NI to go it alone as usual :mad:

Yes, I know the reasons well, and I know that I will probably get a massive backlash for even suggesting that we should be rubbing shoulders with the Welsh, the Scots, the English, Canadians, Aussies, Indians etc etc, but I still can't help thinking that here we are (the closest of all to Britain) yet still sulking & absent as usual since about 1959, when some drunken Dail politician decided on the spur of the moment that "Ireland had now left the commonwealth".

Personally I think we should rejoin for no other reason than to be able to participate in the games. There would of course be a lot of trade opportunities with other CW countries too, that might also come into play with such connections. I think its been a disgrace that we have been absent from the commonwealth family for so long.

What say you?

Sits in bunker with pith helmet on, waiting for the artillery shells to rain in :D

poorly_disguised_troll.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

In the athletics etc world, are the Commonwealth games of any importance? I haven't heard anybody talk about them, nor indeed encountered any pub or the likes showing them.

A few years back there is a long debate here on Boards about the Commonwealth generally etc. After 40-50 pages the strongest argument for joining was the Commonweath Games...:pac:

The proponents could not honestly come up with any other logical or benefical reason. The so called Commonwealth is a completely and uttely pointless institution which was set up to ease British historical guilt as their short lived empire collapsed.

Then again official Britain loves pointless and irrelevant institutions as they desperately cling to the past.

• Advertisement

c_man wrote: »
    In the athletics etc world, are the Commonwealth games of any importance? I haven't heard anybody talk about them, nor indeed encountered any pub or the likes showing them.

No importance whatsoever. Usain Bolt is only there to fulfill contractual obliagtions for Virgin one of the main sponsors. Even he said the games are '****'.

I live in the UK and TBH the general public (from what I can tell in the Midlands) cldnt give a flying **** about them.

I can back this up as I also live in the UK. It's just some diversion on the telly to plug the gap between the World Cup and the Premier League season.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Usain Bolt is only there to fulfill contractual obliagtions for Virgin one of the main sponsors. Even he said the games are '****'.

Well he didn't say that last night. . .he said he was glad to be there

Oh I know...he couldnt praise the games enough...TBH..did you expect him to say any different live on camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Maybe because he got criticized when his real feelings were made known to the public.

If it was a big competition he would be running in the individual events.He's only there as it looks good for him to be there.

• Advertisement

I can back this up as I also live in the UK. It's just some diversion on the telly to plug the gap between the World Cup and the Premier League season.

I can safely say between work and in the pub over the past 2 weeks, there was not been a single mention of the games. The only sporting conversations I have heard have centered around the pre season games/transfers/new signings and results for the local PL team.

It got so sickening on the BBC one morning, I actually changed channle put on the childrens tv and watched it with the young fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

there was a bit of a backlash after they played the proclaimers "i would walk 5000 miles" before a wheelchair race yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

there was a bit of a backlash after they played the proclaimers "i would walk 5000 miles" before a wheelchair race yesterday

They should have played Chamillionare Ridin'...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Paddy Barnes final has just started for anyone interested, BBC 1 I think.

I can safely say between work and in the pub over the past 2 weeks, there was not been a single mention of the games. The only sporting conversations I have heard have centered around the pre season games/transfers/new signings and results for the local PL team.

It got so sickening on the BBC one morning, I actually changed channle put on the childrens tv and watched it with the young fella.
    Paddy Barnes final has just started for anyone interested, BBC 1 I think.

Rocky III is on Channel 5- Oh God...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I've watched a good bit of the games, particularly the Rugby 7's and the lads from the north boxing. I enjoy live sport.

Edit: Gold for Paddy Barnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Is that because it should have been 500 miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

c_man wrote: »

If we were in them and we were winning medals, they would have importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Paddy Barnes on the podium clearly saying 'Its not my anthem' to another boxer as Danny Boy played out. He looked uncomfortable up there. I suppose they do for the love of boxing and no more when it comes to the Commonwealth games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Is that because it should have been 500 miles?
    reminds of this joe biden gaffe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2mzbuRgnI4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Berserker wrote: »
    If we were in them and we were winning medals, they would have importance.

That's it in a nutshell.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Paddy Barnes on the podium clearly saying 'Its not my anthem' to another boxer as Danny Boy played out. He looked uncomfortable

Well then he shouldn't be there if he doesn't like representing NI

He can't have it both ways

Well then he shouldn't be there if he doesn't like representing NI

He can't have it both ways

If it's not about politics should they play the anthems?

He is representing NI at the Games, not team Barnes so should not have said anything

Charlie Flynn did Flower of Scotland proud!

Flynn's interview after he won was hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

efb wrote: »
    Charlie Flynn did Flower of Scotland proud!

He did.

I'd like to see some of the posters on here try and tell him to his face that it's an irrelevant glorified school sports day.

He did.

I'd like to see some of the posters on here try and tell him to his face that it's an irrelevant glorified school sports day.

I wouldn't like to tell him anything tbf

efb wrote: »
    If it's not about politics should they play the anthems?

but it was a neutral anthem ffs, can't see why he's getting his knickers in a twist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

That's it in a nutshell.
    Christ, and you're the one claiming that others are bitter and begrudging.

Advertisement