Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your worst holiday ever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Aren't you from Kildare or somewhere? :p

Nope, guess again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Nope, guess again.

Wexford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    Trabolgan. Ugh shudder.

The worst kip on Gods earth. I would prefer 7 days at the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

I gave 30 blowjobs for a free holiday. Then i found out 'Holiday' was the name of a cocktail, so I actually only got a free cocktail lols. But then I Came home and videos of me all over the internet doing it. I was mortified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I never went on a holiday when younger with family:o

though I was expecting a few tramore comments-really feel for kids who are brought there:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Christ OP, I was not expecting that :-o

Nothing spectacularly bad, we 'camped' in the back of my dads transit van in trabolgan once, 4 of us on a mattress that took up the whole of the back of the van, that was pretty uncomfortable. When we got home we realised the dog had been locked in the garage and he just burst out to go to the toilet when we got home, scared the life out of us, he was holding it all weekend the daft yoke.

Got really bad sunburn on my leg in Italy once but my mam insisted I couldn't just stay in the room, omg the pain of it struggling around while they complained I was going too slow, all I wanted was to rest up in the room.

Was in Paris with my bf at the time but he was going through his paranoia about pregnancy stage and waited till just before we went to announce we wouldn't be having sex, holiday ruined :(

I've only been on a package holiday once and that was awful for how boring it was, ugh sun holidays, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You're all being so sweet about the unexpected nature of my story, but I didn't mean to bring the mood down.

I also didn't set out to get people to "top" my story; believe me, I hope it's never happened to any of you.

I'm just really enjoying reading all about your trips ....keep 'em coming :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I don't think I've ever had a bad holiday. [*Touch wood* ;)]

I'm usually pretty happy to get out of Carlow let alone Ireland.

I do remember being in Spain and my father decided to stay by the pool the first couple of days and drink.

He copped on after a bit though and it was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Was in Paris with my bf at the time but he was going through his paranoia about pregnancy stage and waited till just before we went to announce we wouldn't be having sex, holiday ruined :(

He goes on holidays with you to Paris but he won't have sex with you.

I fail to see the logic behind that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

A quick trip to Alton Towers with a group of mates this june.

Despite only staying in the country for two days we managed to get robbed blind at the park, meaning that we had to spend our entire second day trying to sort out flying home without passports.

The presence of my ex didnt exactly lighten the mood for me either

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Lots of ruined holidays here through no fault but their own, alcohol and Irish people... Go figure!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Years ago myself and my hubby went to Crete for a wedding and while we did have a good time (there were loads of friends and family there and it'd be very rare that we'd all be in the one place together) the trip was just one disaster after another.

It was a package holiday, and I'd never been on one before so I didn't really know what to expect. We seemed to end up on a plane of 6th year holiday types plus a few skangers thrown in, but they were pretty funny. Actually sometimes they were fairly entertaining - the guy across from me kept trying to open his duty free booze, despite being told that it couldn't be opened while we were in the air, then he was trying to sneakily open a can of beer but he dropped it and it just exploded and sprayed everyone around him with beer (air hostess confiscated the rest) - a fair few got caught smoking in the loos and it was very funny seeing the angry hostess marching them back to their seats. The only bad part about our flight was some eejit with a stereo blasting that 'Maniac 2000' song on repeat for the whole flight.

The rest of our group were on another flight and it all kicked off on their plane. There was one couple who were totally scuttered in the bar before leaving dublin airport and who kept roaring with their group of friends about who took the most yokes before leaving for the airport. When they got in the air it was just pandemonium, the two of them were screaming and swearing at each other, then the girl got up to go to the loo and the guy got up and punched her in the face, which then developed into an actual brawl between the two of them, with the drunk friends trying to intervene. The cabin crew had to seat them separately and use restraints. Then it turned out they were staying in the apartment above my MIL & FIL (they were on the first floor and the rowdy couple on the 2nd floor). During the night the in-laws are being kept awake by the ferocity going on upstairs, then all of a sudden it gets louder because they've gone out on the balcony. Next thing there's a scream and a crash, and sirens a few minutes later. He'd thrown her off the balcony, so she was carted off with 2 broken legs, broken ribs and a few other broken bits that I can't remember. Cops arrived and everyone had to give statements.

Next was the wedding itself. The bride was 40 mins late to the church, and it was mid august so the church was like a furnace. One of the aunties fainted and had to be carted off to get water and cool down. Bride arrives, things progress as normal, then the strap breaks on one of the bridesmaid's dresses. Luckily she catches it just before there was a serious wardrobe malfunction, but the rest of the mass was spent with her basically trying to hold herself in to the dress. Ceremony finishes and suddenly the B&G cop that the photographer hasn't turned up. We improvise with guests cameras and then head back to the reception.

Food and cake were lovely. Photographer arrived mid-way through the speeches and expected the B&G to go off to have their photos taken, needless to say they were told to f off. Dancing begins but then it's all cut off at 11pm. When the best man goes to find out what's going on he's told that the hotel has run out of drink and that anyone who's not a resident will have to leave. A rake of taxis are called for all the guests who are staying elsewhere, and two of them crash into each other in the street outside, mini-riot ensues. Next morning when the B&G are checking out of the hotel they discover that person or persons unknown charged several hundred euros worth of drinks to the bridal suite.

Two nights later we went out for a few drinks in Hirsonissos (not realising what a kip it is) and two of our party got spiked and ended up in hospital.

The apartments that my hubby and I were staying in were lovely and peaceful for the first week, then the next week a 'lads holiday' showed up. It was no longer peaceful. We were lying in bed one night trying to get to sleep and the next thing a wooden kitchen chair gets thrown through our patio door, showering glass all over the place, two drunk guys stumble in and start apologising profusely saying that they thought it was their friends' room and it'd be hilarious to throw the chair in on them :confused: We couldn't move rooms because the place was booked up, but the owner assured us it'd be fixed by the time we came back the following evening. Glaziers must be hard to come by in Crete, because 'fixed' turned out to be a sheet of plastic taped up over the empty door frame.

On our second last day some of our group went banana boating. They did that thing where they turn really sharply so everyone falls off, and one of the other people on the boat accidentally kneed one of our friends in the mouth and knocked out two of her teeth.

We were fairly relieved to be leaving but the flight home wouldn't be complete without a bit more drama. It was delayed by 4 hours so, again, a lot of the passengers were a bit sozzled by the time we had to board. When we were taxiing down the runway some eejit decides to get something out from the overhead bin, and is given out to by the stewardess and told to wait til the seatbelt sign is off. He sits down, but while we're still climbing he gets up again and refuses to sit down until he's gotten whatever he needed out of his bag. A steward and a stewardess get up to make him sit down, then he punches the stewardess in the face. He started saying it was an accident, but it blatantly wasn't. So then when we get to Dublin we all have to sit on the plane and wait til the cops come on and remove this guy.

Don't think I'll ever go back to crete.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The lesson here is not "never go back to crete".

The lesson is when one of your friends tells you they have decided to get married abroad, you tell them "That's nice, enjoy yourself!" and leave the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Toots* wrote: »

Don't think I'll ever go back to crete.

Sounds like you went in early-ish May, which would be your problem if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I once went with 2 other lads to Kiev.
    Had the trip all planned out, take a bus to Lviv and then a train to Kiev. All in all 24 hours to do around 1000km :(
    Anyhoo we had a hostel booked and a deposit paid but miraculously when we got there the owner never received the money and the price of the hostel had now doubled.
    Fairly pissed off but with not much else choice we coughed up the extra funds.
    Our first feck up was leaving the hostel key with the owner so that we wouldn't lose it when we are in a club and he said he'd be awake anyway.
    Before we left we decided to leave some money and cards in the room as a just in case.
    We come back half fcuked at stupid o'clock and true to his word he is waiting for us.
    Gave us the key and off we go to the room.
    One lad collapses asleep while myself and the other lad continued on drinking.
    Further into the night the friend decides to remove the money/cards we had hidden under the mattress and low and behold nothing there.
    Robbed.
    Room searched over and over. Nothing.
    At this point the finger is pointed to the owner.
    We go to him screaming and shouting about the theft but he doesn't give 2 ****s about it.
    Police are then called and his attitude suddenly changes.
    He maintains he hasn't taken anything but then refunds our hostel stay minus a penalty as long as we were gone by the morning.
    Took the offer and away we went.
    Getting a train back to Lviv we had an overnight stay there before our bus back to Warsaw.
    Went out the first night and our friends phone is stolen.
    Lesson? We are fecking cursed!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

bear1 wrote: »
    I once went with 2 other lads to Kiev.
    Had the trip all planned out, take a bus to Lviv and then a train to Kiev. All in all 24 hours to do around 1000km :(
    Anyhoo we had a hostel booked and a deposit paid but miraculously when we got there the owner never received the money and the price of the hostel had now doubled.
    Fairly pissed off but with not much else choice we coughed up the extra funds.
    Our first feck up was leaving the hostel key with the owner so that we wouldn't lose it when we are in a club and he said he'd be awake anyway.
    Before we left we decided to leave some money and cards in the room as a just in case.
    We come back half fcuked at stupid o'clock and true to his word he is waiting for us.
    Gave us the key and off we go to the room.
    One lad collapses asleep while myself and the other lad continued on drinking.
    Further into the night the friend decides to remove the money/cards we had hidden under the mattress and low and behold nothing there.
    Robbed.
    Room searched over and over. Nothing.
    At this point the finger is pointed to the owner.
    We go to him screaming and shouting about the theft but he doesn't give 2 ****s about it.
    Police are then called and his attitude suddenly changes.
    He maintains he hasn't taken anything but then refunds our hostel stay minus a penalty as long as we were gone by the morning.
    Took the offer and away we went.
    Getting a train back to Lviv we had an overnight stay there before our bus back to Warsaw.
    Went out the first night and our friends phone is stolen.
    Lesson? We are fecking cursed!

At least the local coppers took your side and you got something back..
    I thought they would have sided with the local to avoid the language barrier.

At least the local coppers took your side and you got something back..
    I thought they would have sided with the local to avoid the language barrier.

True, we could have lost a lot more.
    Not understanding a language in a difficult situation is a frightening thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Cyprus a few years ago. Pissed rain for 11 days out of the 2 weeks and the place was full of angry drunk brits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ages ago, holidaying in Malaysia in Penang...

Got eaten alive by sand flies [so much more worst than mosquitoes]... I was so itchy for the entirety of the holiday! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Camino de San Juan through Catalonia.

Catalonians hate everyone, plain and simple. For a foreigner, getting served the basics like food and water was impossible. Walked about 32 miles one of the days with 25kg on my back, the last 8 miles I had NO water, because no locals would not let me fill up from their fountains. I was even refused service in a garage/shop. One day I rocked up to a restaurant which was NOTED for serving pilgrims. I got changed into clean clothes a mile from this place, and washed my face etc. Got in, and it was like a place from the 1960's. All the waiters were old boys in their 40s/50s/60s and were grumpy, they kept ignoring me and then as soon as a family walked in they would push them past me and get them a table ASAP. I had done 20 miles since 6am, all I wanted was food and eventually a female came from the reception and explained that the waiters didn't like pilgrims (?!) but she would help me. My bill was about 50% dearer than the menu price... This scene was repeated a few times on my walk.

Another day I had a stalker, some spanish lad of about 40 who called me his brother in Christ (alarm bells) and then proceeded to get drunk on the walk, verbally abuse me and insist on taking 'short cuts' he knew of. Had to ditch the walk after 3 nights in his presence, and go to Bilbao to chill and get home. Religious pilgrimages, not even once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I bought tickets to 5 concerts for a billy ray Cyrus tribute act in dublin and they were cancelled! I had already packed my hang sandwiches with a pack of tayto and the turf was left to dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Planned a weekend away with a friend to London (my first visit) to visit another friend of ours.

Arrived to Cork airport at 5pm in torrential wind and rain.
    Checked in, flight was delayed for two hours until it was cancelled and a bus to Shannon. Finally get to fly out at midnight.

Arrive in Stanstead and all the trains have stopped so we have to get a 90 minute bus.
    Eventually get to the friends house at 3am.

Spend the Saturday and Sunday there.

Get the train from Liverpool St but there's a delay on the line for half an hour.
    We miss our check in. The next flight is the following morning.

Spend overnight in the Terminal.

Fly out the following morning back to Cork.
    Fog over Cork airport. Circle for an eternity then get routed to Shannon to land.

Get a bus back to Cork City.
    Get picked up from town and collapse on the couch when I get home.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Nodin wrote: »
    Sounds like you went in early-ish May, which would be your problem if that was the case.

Nope, t'was the second week in August.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Not mine but a great story from back in the day

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61430316&postcount=17

We got off the bus at 6am and found a horrible hotel wit horrible staff to greet us. I asked why the music was still blaring at 6 and the manager refused to respond. The manager spat at my wife and I as we were leaving.When i approached him to ask him to apologize for the disgraceful act of spitting the security guard misconstrued the situation and hit me with a bat.
    The next morning I went down to complain about the lack of air conditioning. My room was like a sauna and it was like 40 degrees outside. As i was giving out to the manager the security guard ran over and hit me with a bat.
    Now nursing two bat injuries I went to complain about the violent security guard. The manager said that I deserved it. I left annoyed, afraid and aggravated with the situation. I arrived back to my room to find the security guard looking through my wallet. When I quizzed him asking why he was in my room, he ran over to me and hit me with a bat.
    On the third night I woke up to find my wife was gone. When I went to look for her i found the security guard and her together drinking and kissing. This was the final straw...... I went to attack the security guard. He hit me with a bat.
    Worst holiday ever....I'm never going back to mika villas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Stayed with my nun aunt in her nun convent in England for a week, we popped down to London for a day and the second we arrived the place got bombed. Most boring day of my life.

Was going on a extended trip with a friend across the US a few weeks after my dad died to get away from everything because I wasn't getting a chance to process it, got an email (email?!) from them in the airport saying they didn't buy a ticket and had no intention of coming. Burned through an absolute fortune wandering around the north east drinking and giving homeless people money so I could talk to them for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

Cornwall 1970's....

Arrived into a caravan site, weather was fantastic I was a kid.

Second day there my dad (god rest him) fell asleep on an inflatable thing in the sea and had to be rescued by the coast guard after 4 hours adrift.

Third day I was running and fell over the ground was full of coal for some reason and a lump of it lodged in my hand (it is still there today 40 years later)

Fourth day, Mother went to wash clothes her purse with all the cash was stolen and police were called.

No food was had that day and a two week holiday lasted 4 days.

I remember being SOoooo happy to come home.. bandaged..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've not had a "worst holiday", but I've had a worst part on a holiday. We visited Napoli as part of a trip to Italy and what a place that is.

An absolute shithole, make no mistake.

From the second you step off the train, there's a aggressive air about the place. Garibaldi Square is a mish mash of immigrant stalls, not that there's a problem with that necessarily, but at night they leave the unsold crap lying around the square. It's a haven for pickpockets and drug dealers that open ply their trade without any real interference from the law.

We arrived in a Sunday and there was a Roma v Napoli match on and the place was literally shut down. Nothing was open, except for a coffee shop and a Mickey D's. We had a quick stop off at the coffee shop and had a really cold reception for some bizarre reason.

We ate at Macker's because it was the only place open that sold food. In the queue were these dirtbags, that the poor staff had to deal with as they quibbled over change, in what looked like an obvious ruse.

Some little scut also tried to sell my wife drugs in the middle of the restaurant. She was sat beside a little Japanese tourist that looked absolute terrified. Poor kid.

Bottom line, the only reason to be anywhere near Napoli is if you're using it as a base for a visit to Pompeii or Herculaneum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

The Master wrote: »
    Not mine but a great story from back in the day

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61430316&postcount=17

Funny he only ever made that one post.

Like a moth burning in the brilliance of a 100W bayonet fixing, his star will ever burn bright remembered on threads such as this.

I've remembered another one.

Years ago (2002/3) myself, brother, mum and dad had a holiday to Italy booked.
    As there was no direct flight to Rome for some reason we had to go through Stansted - I loathe that place now.
    We get to our Dublin flight on time but we were so bloody delayed that we missed our flight from London.
    Queue a night of having to kip on the floor of the terminal awaiting a flight that wasn't due to leave till around 10ish in the morning.
    We had arrived in London at around 9pm the previous night.
    Picked a spot on the floor and camped, well I've never been more uncomfortable in my life.
    None of slept, all the shops were closed and there was absolutely zero food to eat bar the sweet machine.
    What a feckin disaster that was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I went to Barbados, it was heaven on earth. Then I ruined it by getting married.

Advertisement