Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your worst holiday ever

Options
  • 26-07-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

What was your worst holiday ever?
    Maybe it was the hotel from hell or did your bags go missing?
    Did it rain for the whole two weeks in Spain? I wanna hear your worst holiday experiences.

Mine was back in 2008 when I went to Costa del Sol.
    Travelling with a group of seven people, we almost missed our flight from Dublin due to lounging in the bar too long.
    I also had cystitis which meant I had to keep going to the loo every five minutes.

On the plane, I had the middle seat in between two salad dodgers and I had to keep disturbing the one on the aisle seat so I could go to the loo.
    I reckon I went about twelve times for the flight and your wan was getting really annoyed with me, but what could I do?! Pi** there in my seat?

Arrived at the hotel anyway and headed out into the town.
    One of the people in our party fell down the steps outside the hotel and gave himself a black eye.
    We went off and drank til we were merry; another person in our group sprained her ankle from her high heels and I chatted up a policeman who didn't seem very amused.

But the worst thing about the whole holiday was that one of the members of our group passed away the next morning. I found her slumped against the bedroom door; choked on her own vomit :(

As bad as that was, we couldn't get flights home (we were naturally all devastated) and had to spend the next few days trying to come to terms with our loss.

To add insult to injury, we arrived home to Dublin and I found out that evening that my Uncle had died.

Worst holiday ever.

What was yours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Two words:

Longford. Staycation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

One word: Butlins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Ballybunion when we were teenagers absoultly nothing to do there for teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Limericks City. Sept 2013-Present day. 1/5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 jack willis

RayM wrote: »
    One word: Butlins.

Bitlins was quality when i was younger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

fussyonion wrote: »
    Did it rain for the whole two weeks in Spain? I wanna hear your worst holiday experiences.

Travelling with a group of seven people, we almost missed our flight from Dublin due to lounging in the bar too long.
    I also had cystitis which meant I had to keep going to the loo every five minutes.

On the plane, I had the middle seat in between two salad dodgers and I had to keep disturbing the one on the aisle seat so I could go to the loo.
    I reckon I went about twelve times for the flight and your wan was getting really annoyed with me, but what could I do?! Pi** there in my seat?

One of the people in our party fell down the steps outside the hotel and gave himself a black eye.
    We went off and drank til we were merry; another person in our group sprained her ankle from her high heels and I chatted up a policeman who didn't seem very amused.

But the worst thing about the whole holiday was that one of the members of our group passed away the next morning. I found her slumped against the bedroom door; choked on her own vomit :(

As bad as that was, we couldn't get flights home (we were naturally all devastated) and had to spend the next few days trying to come to terms with our loss.

To add insult to injury, we arrived home to Dublin and I found out that evening that my Uncle had died.

Worst holiday ever.

What was yours?

Wow! Can't beat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

That trip to Wasaga Beach back in 1985.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Not really a holiday but when I was 19
    Or 20, I went to visit a friend that was in uni outside of London. Now when I say we were like chalk and cheese, I'm laid back and like to drink, this girl was a nerd, used to getting her own way and was pretty demanding.

Before even leaving Dublin airport my stupidly cheap Ryanair flight was delayed for over two hours, so I went to the bar and started drinking. I slept the whole way on the plane so must have looked a bit rough when she met me at the airport. She gave out to me for drinking, we went back to her dorm thing.

We were going to a beer festival and BBQ (she doesn't really drink) I'd been up all night packing and getting ready and leaving early to get to airport, so was kind of tired. She said we wouldn't be staying long. She was eyeing up some lad that worked at a beer thing at the festival. A 9% Norfolk beer. Since she didnt drink she kept sending me up to buy the beer, so she could talk to him. I got really really drunk and she got mad at me.

It was raining really bad while we were going home, (shed made us walk the long way around going there, knowing how tired I was) but going home was only about 15 minutes. Got back to her room and her flat mate gave me a sleeping bag, and I took the cushion off her study chair to sleep.

She woke me next morning giving out that I kept her awake snoring. I don't snore unless I'm sick, and I didn't really sleep much because I was cold and uncomfortable but she made me feel awful.

It was a Friday and she decided we would go into London, which was about 45 mins away. I was dying. Hungover to high heavens and coming down with something. I said I didn't feel like London that day could we not go the next day? She got real annoyed with me and said her student discount wouldn't work on the train on a Saturday. So, off we went. She had a 2 for 1 for madam Tussauds and I gave her half the money. So it was really 50% each. She got the full admission ticket n because I was the "free" one there were bits I couldn't do and she could, and she insisted on me paying extra and doing it as well.

I am a tad claustrophobic but it didnt stop her dragging me around the place on tubes even though she knew I was in sweats. She wanted to see a show too, so we went and saw a buddy holly one. I was balls deep in boredom. By the time we left she was worried wed miss our train and I was wearing those shoes that looked like flip flops but with the foot closed over. She's there telling me to run, I can't because its raining and my feet are slippy. What does she do? Tell me to take my shoes off in the middle of London, at 10:30 on a Friday night to "run" so she can get a seat on the train.

Next evening she wanted to go out, I had no proper sleep cause I was on the ground and was paranoid I snored, I was proper unwell with whatever I was coming down with, and she wanted to go into town to a club even though she didnt drink. I said no, she said okay well just have a quiet night. We went to a pub near by her dorm or halls or whatever she called them, had two cokes and she complained there was "chavs" and we would leave. We walked to another pub, had another coke. She complained it was too quiet. So we left and walked on further, and that was "just a minute" away from the club so why didn't we just go there? It was then I lost it, I said I didn't want to go to a nightclub so I am not going, I don't care how close it is.

Next evening, Sunday, my last evening there, she wanted to go to cinema. Okay, lets go to cinema. Then she wanted to go for drinks. I said I didn't want to, I didn't feel well, and I could go back to hers if she wanted to go out. She started crying at that point, saying she never got to do anything fun and she was sick of sitting in.

I was never as happpppy getting on a plane when it was home time

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Kusadasi. What a ****e hole! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Two words:

Longford. Staycation.

What part did you stay?

Please don't tell me you stayed in Longford Town itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Second foreign holiday ever. I was like 9 and we were in Disney land Paris. First day there decided to head for a swim. Jump in the pool by the steps only to realise there was no shallow end (in a children's resort, stupid I know). I start drowning. For at least 30 seconds my mam stood by with my sister telling me to stop messing while the life guard sat drinking his evian water (useless French pr!ck). When my mam and sister realised I was actually drowning my sister finally jumped in and saved me.

Then when I was about 16 we want Portaventura in salou. I went the town drinking the first 2 nights and managed to spend my whole €600 spending money in 2 nights on drink and drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

My last one. The now ex told me he wasn't in love with me anymore after 3 years. To make matters worse I really needed that break after a pretty **** time of it health wise. Urgh it was a disaster. I have decided I need another holiday to recover from that one! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Limericks ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Certainly can't beat the OP. +1 Fussy :)

Haven't had a really bad holiday. I'd echo what some said above as a kid and as a teenager Butlins was the biz - rides and rides - wouldn't go near the feckin place now though.

First hoiday with my wife was to Corfu. It was lovely but coming home we had to get out of the hotel room early and then when we got to the airport there was a 30 hour delay for the flight. Its a long time at an airport.

Another time we went to Majorca with another couple. They had a young toddler in a push chair. The mother was so delighted to be away that she got absolutely feckin slewtered. So much so that her and hubby had a really loud row about it and then she tried to get into bed with us. Nice tits though. We didn't go away with them again :o.

I'm feeling a bit of performance anxiety though OP. A bit of a wuss for even mentioning this dross when compared to the first post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

shalalala wrote: »
    My last one. The now ex told me he wasn't in love with me anymore after 3 years. To make matters worse I really needed that break after a pretty **** time of it health wise. Urgh it was a disaster. I have decided I need another holiday to recover from that one! :P

Same kinda thing happened to me a few years ago. He actually broke up with me on the flight home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Same kinda thing happened to me a few years ago. He actually broke up with me on the flight home!

I would have preferred that. We had 5 days left of hell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Trip to Amsterdam to see my now ex girlfriend , a few days before I go she tells me she's dating someone else. Too late to cancel everything so decide to go by myself anyways. Cue a one week binge of drink and drugs, didn't even make it to the Anne Frank house or anything. Actually now that I look back on it, it wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wonder per capita, who has the most drink related deaths.

Anywho, Fuerteventura...so friggin boring. I'm never going to go to any of those stupid resort places again. Alicante, Malaga, Kusadasi, Crete, Lanzarote, Tenerife. Such a f'kin waste of time. It was so boring that it became stress inducing. Oh and Cairns in Australia was fairly ****e too. The Great Barrier Reef is highly over-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

I went to Puerto Rico with my now ex and the first day there he was in the pool all day. From the minute he got up until it was time to get ready and go out which was pretty late. Not once did he put sun cream on. The next 5 days was spent in the apartment tending to his blisters and burns with him screaming in agony and countless trips to the local chemist for whatever cream that would sooth the pain. How he didn't go home with a black eye is beyond me and that was our first holiday away...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Trabolgan. Ugh shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

When we went to the lake district when I was younger, driving from Liverpool. Me stopped for petrol, everyone need the toilet except me, so I didn't go. Soon as we drove away, I needed to go, but my dad wouldn't stop for the whole drive till we got to the B&B, 13 hours later. Was not a pleasant journey. Then they discovered the people wouldn't put a third bed into a room for me, so I had to sleep on the floor for 5 nights, wooden floor. Then they were told they couldn't hire a bicycle from the place for me cos they were all booked out, so I had to walk with someone staying with me, and all the things they'd booked were for 2 adults + 4 kids, so there was no space for me to do pretty much anything. Lot of gameboy playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Two words:

Longford. Staycation.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/KiddiePoolJ97.jpg

This is what Wikipedia thinks a Staycation is.

One of the creepiest pictures I've ever seen.

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    Trabolgan. Ugh shudder.

Trabolgan's nice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Isle of Sheppey caravan park in the early 90's with a monosyllabic yob and an amphetamine psychosis casualty, pubs had South London / Medway Town scum with tatooed faces in them, three days was all my head could take before I bailed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

fussyonion wrote: »

Worst holiday ever.

What was yours?

Did not expect that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Once went on holidays by mistake to the English countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Trabolgan's nice :(

Trabolgans in Cork, nuff said. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

A week in Tallaght with a cousin who relocated to Dublin. I was about 16 at the time. What a complete sh1thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have never had a bad holiday

• Advertisement

Trabolgans in Cork, nuff said. :pac:

Aren't you from Kildare or somewhere? :p

Advertisement