Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating sites,your experiences.Good or bad?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Another good one is, "message me if you're interesting/not a weirdo"

Whos to say their not the weirdo or boring as a box of cardboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's like as if those on POF follow some sort of a template. Similar terminology with a good number of profiles, as have been listed in the last few posts or so. Keep it short? "Hey" is not short. It's just taking the piss. And yes, they are a very picky bunch indeed. Oh, another one is "My friends are on this, so I thought I would join and see what the fuss is about." Yeah, a bunch of girls probably comparing notes about fellows they come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I hate to put it this way, but the "talent" doesn't seem to be as good on Okcupid compared with POF. Though, I have got talking to a great girl from Okcupid, and we will probably be meeting up soon. I don't see us dating, though.

I have messaged a lot of great looking girls on both over time. They view the profile, yes, but replies are next to none. Those that want to "meet me" or message me tend to be those I wouldn't go out of my way to chat up in a bar. Any good looking ones that have replied have been time wasters, who tend to stop replying after seemably good conversations. I am a genuine guy, I am honest (and I don't bull**** in my profile), or if I do get chatting with someone.

I am starting to think that they are a waste of time, yet, I can't seem to hit that "delete profile" button. I admit that I am not the most confident guy in terms of chatting someone up, but I am getting braver ;) The thing about the sites is that people do have good experiences, and some have bad experiences. As it is online, it can be hard to know who you are really dealing with.

The profiles that bug me on POF are ones that might simply say "if you want to know more, message me." Or, simply "just ask." If you're serious, make the effort or feck off!

This bugs the **** out of me, pure ignorance or weirdness which ever way you look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

major bill wrote: »
    Joined POF recently for the craic - it is turning me off online dating forever

Dublin women are the pickiest people in the world
    Everyone is into outdoor activities or going the Gym, Irish women love the Gym!! (Really love??)

haha im only signed up since Tuesday and im quickly realising this :)

major bill wrote: »
    This bugs the **** out of me, pure ignorance or weirdness which ever way you look at it

Ignorance and weirdness, judging by one that replied to a message I sent recently. Her reply was to tell me to text (meaning message her there) at a reasonable hour so she could chat because she worked during the week and was tired. It was quite late one night when I sent the message, in fairness.

Anyway, after a couple of exchanges, there was nothing more. Jokingly, I said something along the lines of "well, that was a short conversation" to which she told me to eff off! Ok so! Needless to say, she was quickly blocked! And, she had pictures one minute, had them on private the next, put them back up, and took them down again! Profiles like that ring alarm bells!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Ignorance and weirdness, judging by one that replied to a message I sent recently. Her reply was to tell me to text (meaning message her there) at a reasonable hour so she could chat because she worked during the week and was tired. It was quite late one night when I sent the message, in fairness.

Anyway, after a couple of exchanges, there was nothing more. Jokingly, I said something along the lines of "well, that was a short conversation" to which she told me to eff off! Ok so! Needless to say, she was quickly blocked! And, she had pictures one minute, had them on private the next, put them back up, and took them down again! Profiles like that ring alarm bells!

Yea similar one myself, received a mutual match so said I would comment first, left a joke as first comment cos god forbid you just leave a message saying hi hows you or hey to start a conversation (Another odd request from women not to do that) the girl replied with a smile so I jokenly wrote back saying well your full of chat to which she replied ''your profile makes you to be lazy, i don't like that i am active'' blabla **** you so, the account was deleted now she is back on under a different name and i have received a match from same girl

Defo something odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I dunno, the logic to me has always been that it wouldn't be worth it to actively message women.

If you're checking in to a profile regularly enough you will be showing up in searches for women who are actively searching.

Any woman who is going to message you, will in fact message you, if they like the look / sound of your profile, so then it becomes a case of just picking the ones you like out of the ones who message you in the first place.

If women are seeing your profile and not messaging you, then you more than likely won't stand a chance with them in the first place (unless you have the ability to write extraordinarily amusing and engaging messages, in which case, kudos!) so I wouldn't bother as I would see it as a waste of my time.

I have a mutual match too on POF. She never bothered her arse replying. I tried messaging on a couple of occasions (not too close together, mind you). Yeah, that thing about saying more than "hey" is a strange one, seeing as some profiles are only one word or one line. I've seen the odd one that is just things copied and pasted from the website, or just random letters, i.e: "safnweivbhwsabfvhwbv." Yep, there are saddos that do that. Pointless really!

I do know a few people that met one another on some form of dating site and are going strong. They do work, depending, but everyone has a different experience, even if others rave about a certain site. I will not try paid ones, and will not pay to upgrade my account. It's a total waste of money. I might try Tinder, but I am still reluctant to use it, considering it is a mobile app. I am sure it is perfectly safe, though.

The piss takers are fairly easy to spot, depending on their profile pictures (or lack of them) and the profile content. It's just unfortunate that seemably genuine ones can turn out to be bad eggs. There are profiles where there are similar interests, which helps when writing a message. There's scope for good conversations, but despite that, certain things just aren't good enough for the fussy Dublin lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 geregan7

I joined Match.com and now know that anybody contacting me is using fraud profiles....they now have my email address so I am getting lots of emails asking me to update security on my bank account ... I have been asked to send money to Nigeria...are they all bad

I remember joining Maybe Friends some time back, which did not last long, due to the fact the user had to pay to upgrade just to send an effing message to someone. I deleted my account, or at least thought I did. I am getting the odd message still saying that someone messaged me. Now, the username on the profile is not one that I created. MBF seemed to do it themselves.

I know that there has been zero content on the profile. No picture, no description. Nothing! It's very odd that I am still getting messages, even though I am almost certain I deleted the profile. I only lasted a few minutes on it before I gave up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement