Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating sites,your experiences.Good or bad?

Options
  • 25-07-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭

hi folks, i don't know if this is the proper place to post,if not maybe a friendly mod will move it for me. Anyways after much pressure from my pals I've joined an online dating site,well two to be precise.Plenty of fish an okcupid.Few of my mates have been on them a good while,have a reasonable strike rate,and saddle up with new people every other weekend.Plenty of fish in particular is "too easy" im told.Thing is,I've been on a few blind(ish) dates in the past,the odd few texts and calls in the run up but essentially blind dates.Most of them were a nightmare to be honest,and not because of the venue or company,i met some lovely people and went to places in my hometown that i would have never went otherwise,the guiness storehouse being memorable,but the real reason is usually nervousness on my part,i clam up sometimes,and the girl,whos probably just as nervous as me but cooler under pressure cops this and starts clamming up too.Cue awkward silences etc. Iv no such worries chatting up women in a pub,but im unemployed now so its not possible to be hitting the town every weekend.Half my friends are married,and the single ones all use these sites.So everybody is getting plenty,except me,and i feel like im missing out.So as the title says,experiences,good or bad?
    Thanks, Harry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

That wall of text just hurt my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Don't bother, and I speak from experience with dating sites. They're useless. Just go out and talk to women. The best chat-up line is 'Hi'. It's always worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Go in harmony op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Do you really think you can fill the void in your soul by trawling the net for other lonely people OP? No.

You're going to be alone forever. FOREVER, I say!

Just deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

That wall of text just hurt my eyes!

its a pity the words won't come out like that on my many failed attempts at blind dating :)

• Advertisement

its a pity the words won't come out like that on my many failed attempts at blind dating :)

Why are you wearing a blind fold going dating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

No experience Harry, though a neighbour of mine did meet her husband through one. Try to relax and just enjoy it as a night out with a new friend and you're right the girl will be at least as nervous as you.

catallus wrote: »
    Do you really think you can fill the void in your soul by trawling the net for other lonely people OP? No.

You're going to be alone forever. FOREVER, I say!

Just deal with it.

i love being alone,i just want me hole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

The best chat-up line is 'Hi'. It's always worked for me.

You must be a hunk.

i love being alone,i just want me hole

Well then, Plenty of Fish is where it's at.

• Advertisement

have to get them into bed first before getting into light s+m

catallus wrote: »
    Well then, Plenty of Fish is where it's at.

That seems to be the general consensus. anyone know how genuine it is? i only joined on Tuesday evening and have definitely had fakes message me,one message was supposedly from a girl close to where live,naively i responded to that.Then yesterday a message from somebody in derry. It was the same picture.

I would suggest take up a sport or hobby, you get to meet new people and you never know as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Met up with 4 girls via pof. 2 were good experiences and 2 were bad..

bad: one turned out to be a lesbian and the other was kinda pro-rape and i ended up havin massive row with her on first date (by pro-rape i mean she victim blamed)

The two good ones i met up with them few times- we had good time but was no real "le spark" .. Enjoyable though all same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

www.rip.ie is great for identifying who's new to the dating scene in your area.

I thought tinder was the new place to get the ride?

Did you mean timber as in boards?

I've heard of tinder,the app don't work on my phone.I was told its not great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I tried tinder and it's ****e. It's that old "hot or not" website from a few years back with the added benefit of being able to message the people in the pics.

I used pof for a while and got talking to a few women but none of them were really my cup of tea. Did get ride off one of them the first time we met and another wanted to shag but circumstances got in the way at the time.

EDIT: almost forgot to mention that you will have to deal with a good percentage of headcases one way or the other

wprathead wrote: »
    one turned out to be a lesbian and the other was kinda pro-rape

certainly food for thought :eek:

• Advertisement

I tried tinder and it's ****e. It's that old "hot or not" website from a few years back with the added benefit of being able to message the people in the pics.

Sounds like too many people just swiped left on you :pac:

Don't you need a facebook account for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Sounds like too many people just swiped left on you :pac:

My secret is out :(

Chat women up during the day, it's free.

if it was that easy i wouldn't have signed up on the dating sites,nobody would.

Have you ever tried? Give it a go and practice.

orangesoda you rascal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

wprathead wrote: »
    the other was kinda pro-rape and i ended up havin massive row with her on first date (by pro-rape i mean she victim blamed)

Why the hell were you discussing Rape on a first date you weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I can confirm tinder is indeed unreal for getting the ride. You apparently don't even have to talk to each other, just like each others pic and bobs at your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    No experience Harry, though a neighbour of mine did meet her husband through one.

I bet they were both scarlet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I used to use them a while ago... had a few dates, some good, some not so much, a few one night stands, and eventually met my now husband on a page call flirtbox.ie (not sure if this is still going, it was nearly a decade ago).

I can honestly say I've never, ever in my life met someone "on a night out"... never got how people would manage to do that. Most pubs and clubs are too noisy to hear anything at all, how would you get chatting to someone?

Taking up sports or other hobbies and finding a group is good advise, though, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I met a guy on a night out last year, and he's one of my best friends now. He smelled like a guy I used to be with, other than that I'd have probably been with him. Still, we text each other every single day and I've brought him home a few times and made him sleep on the couch, so I'm sure he's happy enough in the friendzone.

It's much easier meeting guys on nights out, than a dating site, I would think. People aren't as sleezy in person!

Advertisement