Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating sites,your experiences.Good or bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

With herself 3 years now. Met on Pof. Could never do the pub/club hook up thing. I cringe at myself too much to approach randomers and I'm not giving some tarted up bitch the satisfaction of loudly telling me to **** off in front of a bunch of people. **** absolutely all of that.
    Reckon a certain degree of shamelessness is what's needed for that, something I don't have.

Dating sites are not for everybody. But for those giving it a shot, with a bit of luck, a thick skin and perseverance, it can work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've had a few good dates from online dating, some bad, even at that, bad in the sense that the person wasn't like what their profile suggested (one girl was very normal in her pictures, and in person, was older and very, very overweight) - still nice people though, always had a good time on dates. I'm not convinced it's the best way to meet people but it's an interesting alternative for those of us who don't get out as much anymore for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Why the hell were you discussing Rape on a first date you weirdo.

Iv explained this before - a hen party walked into bar we were and she went "bet one of them gonna get raped, but sure their own fault,.they askin for it dressed like that" - date was goin ****e before this so instead if lettin it slide i challenged her on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

wprathead wrote: »
    Iv explained this before - a hen party walked into bar we were and she went "bet one of them gonna get raped, but sure their own fault,.they askin for it dressed like that" - date was goin ****e before this so instead if lettin it slide i challenged her on it..

were you eying up any of said hen party by any chance? where they more attractive than your 'date' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I'm sure he's happy enough in the friendzone.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I've brought him home a few times and made him sleep on the couch, so I'm sure he's happy enough in the friendzone.

Yeah, right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

were you eying up any of said hen party by any chance? where they more attractive than your 'date' ?

Let it go, he answered your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

wprathead wrote: »
    Met up with 4 girls via pof. 2 were good experiences and 2 were bad..

bad: one turned out to be a lesbian and the other was kinda pro-rape and i ended up havin massive row with her on first date (by pro-rape i mean she victim blamed)

The two good ones i met up with them few times- we had good time but was no real "le spark" .. Enjoyable though all same :)

By pro-rape I thought you meant she wanted you to rape her....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

orangesoda you rascal...

My favourite troll was here and I missed it? :(

orangesoda is omnipresent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Shenshen wrote: »

I can honestly say I've never, ever in my life met someone "on a night out"... never got how people would manage to do that. Most pubs and clubs are too noisy to hear anything at all, how would you get chatting to someone?

You chat. If you 'hit it off' you get numbers. You meet again. It's very simple really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

You chat. If you 'hit it off' you get numbers. You meet again. It's very simple really.

Can't say I find it simple to scream something at someone just 5 centimeters away at the top of my lungs, only for them to hardly hear it... I couldn't do this to have a conversation with a friend, nevermind a complete stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I've never had a problem talking to someone in a club never mind a pub, and I don't have to be shouting in their face for them to hear me. I don't really get it when people say they just can't talk in these kind of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Everyone keeps pointing it out and then he disappears....:(

The next time someone spots him say nothing lads....

I've never had a problem talking to someone in a club never mind a pub, and I don't have to be shouting in their face for them to hear me. I don't really get it when people say they just can't talk in these kind of places.

Yeah I usually have a penguin talk on the queue into Coppers, no better time for it. Talking shíte to randomers is best part of a night out.

I'm honestly curious : How?

Everytime I've been to a club, my ears were ringing and my voice was gone for days afterwards.

Everyone keeps pointing it out and then he disappears....:(

The next time someone spots him say nothing lads....

i think he likes to be caught... or else he's just slipping.The new usernames are too easy to spot,i mean liquid sunshine?? not even trying anymore,try harder orangesoda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Met around 7 or 8 different girls through Tinder. Developed those feels for one girl but it didn't workout. Had some fun with a few other girls I met, the other ones were just normal first dates that didn't go any further. I too find it impossible to meet someone on a night out where it can go anything further than just getting the shift or ride. I'm too socially awkward to go up to girls during the day in the street.

Everytime I've been to a club, my ears were ringing and my voice was gone for days afterwards.

well clubs don't really appeal to me,but the pubs i drink in would be quite cosy places,music not to loud.Smoking areas are a godsend

Just invade everyone's personal space :pac:

• Advertisement

Just invade everyone's personal space :pac:

with your dick? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can confirm tinder is indeed unreal for getting the ride. You apparently don't even have to talk to each other, just like each others pic and bobs at your uncle.

I read that as boobs your uncle.

Smoking areas. Even since I've stopped smoking I still go to them. they're the only place you can hear people.

there's a dating forum here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Flirt much? :P

Grayson wrote: »

Smoking areas. Even since I've stopped smoking I still go to them. they're the only place you can hear people.

Well, what if you don't really fancy smokers?

Ever seem the elephant trick? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I hate to put it this way, but the "talent" doesn't seem to be as good on Okcupid compared with POF. Though, I have got talking to a great girl from Okcupid, and we will probably be meeting up soon. I don't see us dating, though.

I have messaged a lot of great looking girls on both over time. They view the profile, yes, but replies are next to none. Those that want to "meet me" or message me tend to be those I wouldn't go out of my way to chat up in a bar. Any good looking ones that have replied have been time wasters, who tend to stop replying after seemably good conversations. I am a genuine guy, I am honest (and I don't bull**** in my profile), or if I do get chatting with someone.

I am starting to think that they are a waste of time, yet, I can't seem to hit that "delete profile" button. I admit that I am not the most confident guy in terms of chatting someone up, but I am getting braver ;) The thing about the sites is that people do have good experiences, and some have bad experiences. As it is online, it can be hard to know who you are really dealing with.

The profiles that bug me on POF are ones that might simply say "if you want to know more, message me." Or, simply "just ask." If you're serious, make the effort or feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I hate to put it this way, but the "talent" doesn't seem to be as good on Okcupid compared with POF. Though, I have got talking to a great girl from Okcupid, and we will probably be meeting up soon. I don't see us dating, though.

I have messaged a lot of great looking girls on both over time. They view the profile, yes, but replies are next to none. Those that want to "meet me" or message me tend to be those I wouldn't go out of my way to chat up in a bar. Any good looking ones that have replied have been time wasters, who tend to stop replying after seemably good conversations. I am a genuine guy, I am honest (and I don't bull**** in my profile), or if I do get chatting with someone.

I am starting to think that they are a waste of time, yet, I can't seem to hit that "delete profile" button. I admit that I am not the most confident guy in terms of chatting someone up, but I am getting braver ;) The thing about the sites is that people do have good experiences, and some have bad experiences. As it is online, it can be hard to know who you are really dealing with.

The profiles that bug me on POF are ones that might simply say "if you want to know more, message me." Or, simply "just ask." If you're serious, make the effort or feck off!

That's why I use Tinder, can only message if it's a mutual match. Was on PoF for a day and just couldn't be arsed messaging girls when you have no idea if they are into you or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Joined POF recently for the craic - it is turning me off online dating forever

Dublin women are the pickiest people in the world
    Everyone is into outdoor activities or going the Gym, Irish women love the Gym!! (Really love??)
    Big fake head on some of them looking for X Y and Z in a man plus he has to be a real man (Pot calling the kettle black)

''No Weirdo's'' is the best one or ''was on this before and full of dickheads'' well you're constantly going for dickhead's so what does that say about you??

Stick to Tinder people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I met a guy on a night out last year, and he's one of my best friends now. He smelled like a guy I used to be with, other than that I'd have probably been with him. Still, we text each other every single day and I've brought him home a few times and made him sleep on the couch, so I'm sure he's happy enough in the friendzone.

!

Yeah.

For sure.

THIS. This is why women are from Pluto.

sigh.

Advertisement