Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This just takes the biscuit.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

What difference would having a full license make to this situation? The test in no way encompasses motorway driving.

Maybe if the moron had a full licence and a few years driving experience they wouldn't do something so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭blackwhite

What difference would having a full license make to this situation? The test in no way encompasses motorway driving.

Having a full licence would mean that:
    1) they were legally allowed to be there
    2) they would be legally allowed to drive off unaccompanied afterwards
    3) that the Gardaí involved wouldn't be facilitating law-breaking by allowing the mongo to continue doing both 1) and 2) after they had stopped them for speeding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That is a whole thread in itself and literally the stupidest thing in existence in Ireland today.
    Don't provide motorway training and then everyone will the be fully capable to do so.
    It's something where I have to throw words like thick and Oirish about.
    But that is not what this thread is about. I barf every time someone mentions "ah jaysus, a drivin' licence is just a piece if paper, shure it doesn't matter, be grand, like".
    Ehrm, no. There is a set of rules for a reason and like it or not, we have to follow them. It's called civilisation. The opposite of which would be anarchy and having your head bashed in with a rusty hammer by ISIS.
    So its time to say goodbye to "ah sure, be grand" and hello to "doing things properly".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

That is a whole thread in itself and literally the stupidest thing in existence in Ireland today.
    Don't provide motorway training and then everyone will the be fully capable to do so.
    It's something where I have to throw words like thick and Oirish about.

How much training do you think people need to understand these three basic facts:

1. The speed limit is 120km/h (not 151).
    2. We drive on the left hand side of the road (not in the overtaking lane).
    3. Stopping dead in said overtaking lane is likely to see you end up in a smoking pile of twisted metal.

I dont disagree that some form of motorway training should be given, but ultimatley no amount of instruction is going to compensate for utter stupidity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The "no learners allowed on motorways" isn't unique to Ireland btw.

I suppose the thinking is that motorways have faster moving traffic that requires a higher degree of driving ability to navigate safely. The only way to ascertain this is a driving test pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

djimi wrote: »
    How much training do you think people need to understand these three basic facts:

1. The speed limit is 120km/h (not 151)

The speed limit on this stretch of road is 100, as we can see on the sign directly in front of the offender in the screengrab: :)

10494595_10152385075043001_4668995667403032078_n.jpg?oh=02911c64c1168a4419c4155e843af8f1&oe=54403E31

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    The speed limit on this stretch of road is 100, as we can see on the sign directly in front of the offender in the screengrab: :)

So it is. I forgot it was the M50 and not a real motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Dangel4x4 wrote: »

10494595_10152385075043001_4668995667403032078_n.jpg?oh=02911c64c1168a4419c4155e843af8f1&oe=54403E31

His road position is dreadful as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

His road position is dreadful as well :D

That's to stop another L-driver getting past on the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Don't provide motorway training and then everyone will the be fully capable to do so..

You don't need training on a motorway to know not to stop on it. If the Gardaí pull you in on a national road, or in a housing estate for that matter, do you just stop dead in your tracks in the middle of the road?

These things happen in the UK and further afield too btw, as evidenced by cop shows. How come it hasn't been eradicated there?

As for being let on their way, similar happened in that ad for being allowed to drive badly without punishment traffic corps program a couple of years back. People being let on their way no bother.

If they cant seize the cars they should be hitting the driver with the full force of points and fines allowable and doing everything in their power to stop them driving by making them get a licenced driver come get the. All they are doing is showing people that consequences are minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

Idiot speeding on the motorway at 150km on a provisional. If he kept to the speed limit he wud have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I think it was a good post by the Gardai overall - it's not often that we can get to see the absolute stupidity that they have to deal with. I liked this post as it raises the awareness that there are these idiots on the road.
    I'm fairly sure that the arresting Gardai discharged their duties correctly, and this post is an unofficial gauge of public perception on this type of issue, and that IMO would be perfectly appropriate use of the public relations office use of social media.

I really doubt that AGS are looking for advice and process tips from random idiots on the 'net.

(Or as is often seen on other motoring forums with threads like this: Fwoosh -the sound of a joke going over poster's heads..)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Where can i get one of those headunits? :D

Popoutman wrote: »
    I think it was a good post by the Gardai overall - it's not often that we can get to see the absolute stupidity that they have to deal with. I liked this post as it raises the awareness that there are these idiots on the road.
    I'm fairly sure that the arresting Gardai discharged their duties correctly, and this post is an unofficial gauge of public perception on this type of issue, and that IMO would be perfectly appropriate use of the public relations office use of social media.

I really doubt that AGS are looking for advice and process tips from random idiots on the 'net.

(Or as is often seen on other motoring forums with threads like this: Fwoosh -the sound of a joke going over poster's heads..)

They should if they have to ask "duuh, should we let the lawbreakers go on their merry way?", unless that's the joke, in which case it's not funny.
    What arresting Gardai? Who got arrested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Ah lads, stop! The moron superhero was under cover, just practicing speeding and lane-hogging for AFTER he passes his test. Next is speeding and lane-hogging while on the phone. He's just planning ahead! And I hope his Mammy's insurance doesn't rise because of this forward planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Chris___ wrote: »
    Women are ****ing deadly drivers.

Have you got a stat to back up that one or just spoofing?

Doubt the insurance industry would concur:p

Advertisement