Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This just takes the biscuit.

Options
  • 24-07-2014 10:53am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Photo and text taken from An Garda Siochana facebook page:-

10494595_10152385075043001_4668995667403032078_n.jpg?oh=02911c64c1168a4419c4155e843af8f1&oe=54403E31

An Garda Síochána

Send in your suggestions ! This learner driver was speeding at 151kph in overtaking lane M50 and was unaccompanied at the time and was not displaying L plates as required.
    When Garda indicated to the driver to move to lane 1, the driver jammed on & stopped in the overtaking lane on the M50 motorway .
    1. What action should Garda take on roadside.
    2. Should driver be allowed complete journey
    3. How should he be dealt with in terms prosecution Send in your suggestions

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think I'd throw the book at the driver btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Car should be impounded and the driver flogged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Are they asking for legal advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Arrest them for dangerous driving and tow the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

1: Lift the car
    2: No
    3: 3 years off the road with a 3000 euro fine

Edit: Also give the driver a Darwin Award

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ignoring anything else, the fact that they stopped dead in the overtaking lane of a motorway alone shows that they are dangerously incompetant.

Car impounded, charged for speeding, driving unaccompanied, dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

The Gardai shouldn't be patting themselves on the back too much here.

They've looked the other way at unaccompanied L-drivers since the changes were made in 2007. People see the law isn't being enforced so they take the piss - "Ah shur what harm am I doing? I have to get to work too"...

In this case not only was the L-driver not accompanied, he/she was on a motorway, which isn't allowed last time I looked. They even have HUGE signs to that effect when you enter a motorway.

Anyway, a huge fine and lengthy driving ban would be great in this case, followed by an extra-tough driving test when the offender gets his/her licence learner permit back.

Or this:
    cops-beatdown.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Jammie Dodgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Surely the Gardai should be laying down the letter of the law, not asking the public what to do ! Gardai need to act seriously to be taken seriously !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

bmm wrote: »
    Surely the Gardai should be laying down the letter of the law, not asking the public what to do ! Gardai need to act seriously to be taken seriously !

My point exactly. What they should have said is: We've charged this bell-end with x, y and z, and we'll do the same to you if we catch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

They're just dumbing down for Facebook I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Nail him to the wall

The fact he stopped in the overtaking lane is all the proof needed that this person has no business being on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

basically, this clip shows what this idiot done.
    I suggest licence taken off him, banned from applying for 5 years, dangerious driving charge and a large fine. simple point of it is he could have killed himself or someone else.

Car Driver Stops on the Highway, Causes Massive A…: http://youtu.be/pyP0ocxGy94

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

basically, this clip shows what this idiot done.
    I suggest licence taken off him, banned from applying for 5 years, dangerious driving charge and a large fine. simple point of it is he could have killed himself or someone else.

Car Driver Stops on the Highway, Causes Massive A…: http://youtu.be/pyP0ocxGy94

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

AGS posting about their triumphant win in bringing down such an incompetent driver.

Hang on just 2 sec. He was only caught because he was doing 150kmh.
    The fact that he was out there at all is only a testament to the lax law enforcement. Clearly not the first time this individual is out driving. He might be incompetent but he has clearly been getting away with this for quite some time.

So to ask the same question right back but this time in the context of all unaccompanied L drivers.

In general it goes along the lines of
    1. Pretend it didn't happen.
    2. Yes, driving is a right.
    3. Be a right arse but don't actually do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IMO, it's a test. If the public reply with an outcry, they'll apply due process. If the public reply with indifference, the Gardai will use the person as a scrapegoat, and show the world what the harsh sentence is.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

the_syco wrote: »
    IMO, it's a test. If the public reply with an outcry, they'll apply due process. If the public reply with indifference, the Gardai will use the person as a scrapegoat, and show the world what the harsh sentence is.

Doing 150kph on a motorway with no licence is straight-to-court stuff, no getting off with a bollocking, no ifs and no buts.

The Gardai have no role in his sentencing; that's the judge's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I hadnt realised that it was the Gardai asking about how he should be punished (I thought that was the OP; only skim read it really). Bloody hell, is that what passes for law enforcement these days? Facebook? For **** sake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

djimi wrote: »
    I hadnt realised that it was the Gardai asking about how he should be punished (I thought that was the OP; only skim read it really). Bloody hell, is that what passes for law enforcement these days? Facebook? For **** sake...

I heard if they get enough likes they might give him a slap on the wrist for being "very bold"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think the Gardai are just trying to highlight stupidity

On that stupidity note, I saw a car parked in the hard shoulder of a motorway the other day, but facing the wrong way.
    I kid you not.
    He had jumper leads hooked up to the other car.

dantastic wrote: »
    AGS posting about their triumphant win in bringing down such an incompetent driver.

Hang on just 2 sec. He was only caught because he was doing 150kmh.
    The fact that he was out there at all is only a testament to the lax law enforcement. Clearly not the first time this individual is out driving. He might be incompetent but he has clearly been getting away with this for quite some time.

So to ask the same question right back but this time in the context of all unaccompanied L drivers.

In general it goes along the lines of
    1. Pretend it didn't happen.
    2. Yes, driving is a right.
    3. Be a right arse but don't actually do anything.

1. Issue a 50 euro fine unless the person is driving because of an emergency (ill family matter, etc).
    2. If its a medical/family emergency then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Is this how justice is going to be served from now on?

LIKE to let him off
    COMMENT to charge him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

BMJD wrote: »
    Is this how justice is going to be served from now on?

LIKE to let him off
    COMMENT to charge him

SHARE if yoo cri evertym

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    The Gardai shouldn't be patting themselves on the back too much here.

They've looked the other way at unaccompanied L-drivers since the changes were made in 2007. People see the law isn't being enforced so they take the piss - "Ah shur what harm am I doing? I have to get to work too"...

In this case not only was the L-driver not accompanied, he/she was on a motorway, which isn't allowed last time I looked. They even have HUGE signs to that effect when you enter a motorway.

Anyway, a huge fine and lengthy driving ban would be great in this case, followed by an extra-tough driving test when the offender gets his/her licence learner permit back.

Or this:
    cops-beatdown.jpg

The Gards will only take such action as seen in the picture if you're demonstrating for peace or human rights and if they're absolutely sure you're not a scumbag that might fight back. Much easier to beat up law-abiding citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I think the Gardai are just trying to highlight stupidity

On that stupidity note, I saw a car parked in the hard shoulder of a motorway the other day, but facing the wrong way.
    I kid you not.
    He had jumper leads hooked up to the other car.

Stupid yeah but how else is he supposed to jump the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

this is why all learners driver are tared with the same brush and made display L & now even N(oob) plates.

Its the 1% of the population that are actually fully retarded and cannot be trusted unitl they pass a test and do there time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Just PR for the Gardai really,most forces have been posting stuff like this on FB and Twitter for years,Guards have only recently caught on to this.

6 points on learner permit,car impounded and a few hundred quid fine would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

djimi wrote: »

Wasn't me, I drive a Volvo. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Stupid yeah but how else is he supposed to jump the car?

Not on the fcuking motorway and after that there is no more argument.
    He would have had to do a U turn on the motorway and if he didn't collect his Darwin award there and then, it should be 6 month ban with refresher training for idiots.
    The fact that we hand out 2 points for driving the wrong way on a motorway just underlines the "shure, be grand" attitude in this country to driving.
    I dare say that Ireland has very safe roads, despite laziness and indifference by the Gards.

Advertisement