Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dock road mural

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

A limerick artist called Peter Byrne painted a Richard Harris piece at the make a move festival a few weeks back, here is the link, hopefully it will work, it in beside the cahill may roberts old building

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204279969659661&set=a.1629552058950.2091935.1241068634&type=1&theater
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Never knew that was done. Will have to make an effort to go and have a look at it.

Can anyone pin point the Richard Harris picture for me? I'm taking it that the Cahill May Roberts building is the one beside the granary?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭phog

jmch81 wrote: »
    Can anyone pin point the Richard Harris picture for me? I'm taking it that the Cahill May Roberts building is the one beside the granary?

I would think it's down the laneway into the CMRs warehouse. CMR was on Bank Place between the red brick houses and the archway of the granary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The mural on the side of the Ranks Mill sort of reminds me of Khaleesi from Game of Thrones. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

phog wrote: »
    I would think it's down the laneway into the CMRs warehouse. CMR was on Bank Place between the red brick houses and the archway of the granary.

Thanks, I will take a down there the next time the gate is open.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

A limerick artist called Peter Byrne painted a Richard Harris piece at the make a move festival a few weeks back, here is the link, hopefully it will work, it in beside the cahill may roberts old building

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204279969659661&set=a.1629552058950.2091935.1241068634&type=1&theater

That certainly beats the burger king statue anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

iguana wrote: »
    That certainly beats the burger king statue anyway.

The Burger King statue is awful.

To this day I don't know why it was chosen as Arthur was hardly the most iconic role that Harris played, nor was it one of the roles that won him the most acclaim.

Given the man's love of rugby, a pose from This Sporting Life could have been used, and they could have had Harris wearing the top of his beloved Young Munster team. Then do what they did down in Kilkee and ask Russell Crowe to unveil the statue like he did for the Richard Harris statue in Kilkee.

The man was a hell of an actor, and would love to see his face around town, be it is statue form, or by way of some more murals.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭redron74

source wrote: »
    I love all of them apart from the one on the Dock Road, there's a stark contrast between the definition of his face and the lack of definition of the hood.

To me it looks unfinished and misshaped like a proper artist did the face and zip, then got a 5 year old to draw the hood.

The rest of the art around town is so detailed, so vibrant and colourful that this one just leaves me feeling a little underwhelmed.

I'd say that's actually a major part of the message.
    Presumably the artist is trying to challenge prejudices against young people in hoodies. So, by drawing your attention to the detail of the face, he's probably trying to get you to look beyond the hoodies young people wear and look at the people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

redron74 wrote: »
    Presumably the artist is trying to challenge prejudices against young people in hoodies. So, by drawing your attention to the detail of the face, he's probably trying to get you to look beyond the hoodies young people wear and look at the people themselves.

Thats exactly it. Its the same style on the 2 at the junction of mallow and O'Connell streets. He has done a couple up in Galway too, one beside the Spanish arch. I think they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

The Burger King statue is awful.

To this day I don't know why it was chosen as Arthur was hardly the most iconic role that Harris played, nor was it one of the roles that won him the most acclaim.

A big bad Bull McCabe poised on his switch would have been awesome, powerful performance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Parchment wrote: »
    The arty set in the city - think Mickey Martins, The White House etc...

From speaking to many co-workers/my parents/aunts/uncles etc most see it as graffiti not art therefore thats why i see it as an indulgence for a set of people rather than for the general population of the city.

Just an observation.

Maybe we are just not smart enough to "get" it.

What's to "get"? Would you rather the walls were just left bland, dreary and horrible looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

redron74 wrote: »
    Yes, and also I wonder it's deliberately ambiguous - at first sight one could think it's something religious, like a nun or a druid, and then you notice the zip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

What's to "get"? Would you rather the walls were just left bland, dreary and horrible looking?

Its art - it generally has a message behind it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Its art - it generally has a message behind it.

So why are you confusing that message with your inverse snobbery against certain pubs in town? :confused:

An File wrote: »
    So why are you confusing that message with your inverse snobbery against certain pubs in town? :confused:

Oh Boards.ie you never change!

How is it snobbery to note that a type of person drinks in a certain pub? I thought it was well known most pubs have a "type" who drink in them, no?

You are the one inferring snobbery from my comment.

Oh Boards.ie you never change!

How is it snobbery to note that a type of person drinks in a certain pub? I thought it was well known most pubs have a "type" who drink in them, no?

You are the one inferring snobbery from my comment.

When im in town i like to drink in Mickey Martins, I might even wander up to the Blind Pig but then I also go to Flannerys.

What category do I fall into?

You have to admit it was a poor choice of artwork for a city with an bad image to people.Was it part of city of culture to paint these

I agree - hoodies/graffiti style...surely its this image Limerick needs to move away from. Im sure others feel different but i just feel they could have been far more positive images.

I agree - hoodies/graffiti style...surely its this image Limerick needs to move away from. Im sure others feel different but i just feel they could have been far more positive images.

People other than the cruises st scrotes wear hoodies.

People other than the cruises st scrotes wear hoodies.

I own a few myself but those images portray hoodies in a certain context. Thats just my opinion.

They are but three murals. There are plenty of other murals in the city now and if all are taken as being a reflection of the city, then the negative, or what may be perceived as negative, should be shown along with the positive.

At the end of the day it comes down to opinions, but if something you see makes you think or provokes a strong opinion, then surely that is a good thing?

They are but three murals. There are plenty of other murals in the city now and if all are taken as being a reflection of the city, then the negative, or what may be perceived as negative, should be shown along with the positive.

At the end of the day it comes down to opinions, but if something you see makes you think or provokes a strong opinion, then surely that is a good thing?

I agree - my personal opinion is that i dont like them. I dont think they do the city any favours and i dont like that i *have* to look at them each day (i live right by one and have to pass another daily) as opposed to art being in a gallery etc.

Thats just my gripe. Im happy if others like them but they are just not for me and i dont think they are what Limerick really needs right now.

• Advertisement

I agree - my personal opinion is that i dont like them. I dont think they do the city any favours and i dont like that i *have* to look at them each day (i live right by one and have to pass another daily) as opposed to art being in a gallery etc.

Thats just my gripe. Im happy if others like them but they are just not for me and i dont think they are what Limerick really needs right now.

I don't particularly like the three hoodie murals (especially the two on Mallow street) in terms of being them aesthetically pleasing, but I really do dig the fact that the one on the Dock road got into my head and provoked quite a few emotions in me.

I also like the fact that they seem to be dividing opinion, and seem to be doing so on a lot of levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

You have to admit a poor choice of artwork for limerick with a bad image,seen them on Facebook and twitter.Is it part of the City of Culture?

You have to admit a poor choice of artwork for limerick with a bad image,seen them on Facebook and twitter.Is it part of the City of Culture?

Not really. It's art its up to the individual to interpret it as they wish. Some like it, some don't.

From my own experience of talking to family, friends and work colleagues and seeing positive comments on social medua then it seems to a welcome addition to the city.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't have to admit anything, really.

I concede that it's 02:30 at night, but I just gave a friend a quick tour through town. We visited all of the same sites that I showed to another friend at 16:30 on Saturday afternoon. Both were enthralled by both the "hoodie" murals and the Connolly & Cleary exhibitions. They made their own minds up without me having to say a thing.

Everyone has his or her own interpretation; no-one has to admit a single thing.

And what about all the other murals or is it just three that define whether or not the murals in Limerick are appropriate?

And even if one is to say that certain aspects of Limerick come with a ready made negative image (some of it deserved, some of it fabricated), why should there not be something that could potentially make people think about that?

If people like or loathe the murals then I would imagine that they are having their desired effect. Look at this thread. People are talking and expressing opinion on the murals, albeit mostly focusing on three of them.

They seem to be liked by tourists too, or at least regarded as being worthy of camera time based on the number of times I have seen little clusters of tourists pointing cameras at one mural or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Found another one :)

10346470_10152635905484602_2787535601003346437_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What I love about the three murals is that they do challenge you...it makes you feel something either positive or negative, it confronts you wether you like it or not...they could have put up sporting heroes or such like and that would have been a disaster...

I absolutely love the urban art that the city centre is now awash in, it would be foolish to think it is because of the City of Culture, this has been brewing for a few years now,...(this guy explains it, albeit a different facet of it, much better than I could published in the heat of the media storm in January, http://www.irishexaminer.com/analysis/who-is-limerick-city-of-culture-you-are-254343.html )

But what I love the most about both murals and urban art (and indeed the particles or waves exhibits) is that it is the most obvious manifestation that there is something happening to this city right now...it cannot be denied by anybody (don't worry, there will be plenty of people around the country ready to ridicule us, they will never go away, the noise they make will get quieter and quieter tho) it confronts us all as we walk the streets...this for me is far more effective than "City of Culture" posters or flags, and most importantly the change it is bringing feels right, it fits...it is not fake or pretentious...that's the way culture should be...

Again, I advice any of you who haven't yet embraced the cultural events this city is offering up to do so...with well over 300 events (and growing) throughout the year if you can't find something you like then you simply can't be pleased....in fact I'd go so far as to advice you to get out of your comfort zone...the booklet outlining all the events up to the end of September is out get your hands on it in the city library, hunt museum, pery square offices, tourist offices...

Darren Shan ( the author of Children's horror books) tweeted about the murals during the week and while he didn't mention the one in the OP he was certainly positive about the murals. Fwiw, he has over 18k followers and while the majority are probably children the publicity the city got from that tweet alone is welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wonder has anyone made a collection of good photos of all the murals yet?

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone made a collection of good photos of all the murals yet?

Were mine in post #37 not good enough for you :(

I've seen some from a photographer that seems to use a drone or something to take aerial shots of them. Unfortunately I can't remember his twitter handle

Advertisement