Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dock road mural

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It would be more impressive if they coloured it in.

As it stands it is morose.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bigpink wrote: »
    It must have taken ages to paint but deffo think its not a good theme of image.is it a local artist?

It is but one piece of art to be seen around the city. Some provoke positive responses, some provoke negative ones.

The Dock road one provokes a negative reaction for you, and if truth be told it provokes some dark thoughts in me when I see it. I have taken to imagining little slogans under it.

Things like

Future? What Future?

You don't want to see me

and

Never had a chance.

I have also gotten into the habit of humming one of two songs when I see it.

Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall pt 1

Daddy's flown across the ocean
    Leaving just a memory
    Snapshot in the family album
    Daddy what else did you leave for me?
    Daddy, what'd'ja leave behind for me?!?
    All in all it was just a brick in the wall.
    All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.

"You! Yes, you! Stand still laddy!

or Stone Sour's Tired which is mainly down to the line
    I'm just too young to care

But negative, positive, dark, or light, I think a reaction to it is a good thing. Would be an awful waste if it sat there and everyone that went by did not feel anything at all when they looked at it, and it just was something that was hiding in plain sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,837 ✭✭✭✭phog

catallus wrote: »
    It would be more impressive if they coloured it in.

As it stands it is morose.

Is that not part of it though?

phog wrote: »
    Is that not part of it though?

I should hope not....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I have to say I absolutely love the recent street art , love it , love that it's in Limerick , love that it's here during the tourist season , love the type of art it is , love the themes and particularly love the one on the dock road .

The Eye Scream Man is my favourite though ( if that was your Mustang outside Finnegans on Sunday Kess I could have bought you the burger then , too late now :( ) .

The negative thing I can think to say about it is it probably won't be there into the future , it makes our city a lot more interesting .

• Advertisement

Some for the street art photos that I tweeted from the people of Limerick twitter account

Bank Place

BscMph5CMAEoRjx.jpg:large

BscMfI4CIAAPI-Z.jpg:large

Behind BT

BscMWyeIAAA2vjh.jpg:large

BscMPUKIUAAbr8c.jpg:large

William St

Bsa6v0DCAAIs-Xc.jpg:large

Roches St

BsPwUkeIcAA5-LG.jpg:large

Athlunkard St

BsPv1WcIAAAje8k.jpg:large

BsAaiW7CQAAaupL.jpg:large

Anne Street - Diversty Garden

Br8738QCEAATjbG.jpg:large

Br87PEHCQAArFAb.jpg:large

Ranks

Br8GaAeCQAENah6.jpg:large

Nicholas St

Br7vetKCYAMKay1.jpg:large

Lighting on Foxes Bow

BsQsP0QCIAARnAH.jpg:large

BsQsgUXIAAAkGs3.jpg:large

BsQsxrUCEAEoFpf.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think they are great. It takes away from a lot of the dull lifeless buildings we now have in the city. It's getting people talking about the city and lots want to take pictures etc.. Of the art and it seems to be spreading far. I see know harm and only good to it.

The one on the dock road to me was just a lad in a hoodie. I certainly didn't think it was a scumbag. Pretty much the same as the type of hoodies a lot of people wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Dock road one provokes a negative reaction for you,

It must be a particularly disturbing piece to provoke a negative reaction from bigpink

I think it would look rather cool if they coloured it in.

I think it would look rather cool if they coloured it in.

It's much better in black & white. Much more stark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭redron74

That one on William Street is great. It masks one of the ugliest lumps of concrete in the city (its ugliness amplified by the beautiful brickwork on either side of it). There should be some effort made to maintain this one permanently.

I really like the young lads in hoodies. I prefer the one on Mallow Street to the one on the Dock Road. The scale is impressive. and I think the simplicity of the sketch helps create that "space" for interpretation and discussion. As a society, I think we need to be talking a lot more about and with young people, not talking at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Street art is very good. A few people who randomly were in Limerick the last few days and who are into drawing etc have commented on how great they look and were not expecting to see this type of thing around the town.

Is there another one between Gerald Griffin St & High St?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    It must be a particularly disturbing piece to provoke a negative reaction from bigpink

No need to be trying to have a poke. Bigpink is as welcome as any other poster to express a view on the art, and if that happens to be a negative one then so be it.

The thread is tipping away nicely, so let's not have it dragged off topic by little nips at another poster. You might mean what you say in a joking manner but that does not mean everyone will see it that way. Would prefer to be able to leave my mod hat off in this thread, as it has the potential for some interesting chat as well as for letting folk know about street art that they may not have been aware of beforehand.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    It's much better in black & white. Much more stark.

I'm not much of an artist, tbh, but I know what I like! :P

Is "stark" really what public-art should be? I'm just saying, if they coloured it in then it would look nicer. I only pass Limerick now and again, but I've seen that mad-looking fella with the icecream online and what saves it from being a menacingly aggressive image is the inspired use of glossy colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

The city would make a fantastic street art gallery considering the bleakness of some of the buildings around. Should be arranged permanently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is "stark" really what public-art should be? I'm just saying, if they coloured it in then it would look nicer. I only pass Limerick now and again, but I've seen that mad-looking fella with the icecream online and what saves it from being a menacingly aggressive image is the inspired use of glossy colour.

I think the black and white effect works because people tend to expect colour. It's an exception even amongst its sister-pieces around the city, so it stands out even more than your usual 30 foot tall portrait! :pac:

One of the criticisms of the City of Culture so far is that it doesn't often seem to cater to the average person on the street. I don't think anyone could level that claim against the paintings around town. This one captures certain aspects of youth and city culture pretty well. That isn't always pretty, but it can't be ignored.

I think the whole effect from the paining would be lost if it was coloured in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Kess73 wrote: »
    I like to call him the Eye Scream Man.

I have a real problem with this mural. Its well done and looks good but I HATE the placement of it beside the castle. I think a historical mural with Sarsfield or similar would be more fitting in such close proximity to the castle. By all means have eye scream man somewhere else in the city its nice and colourful but I don't think its juxtaposition against the castle is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I have never witnessed "shams "with canes and white socks walking in Limerick city.

I live in the county so only in the city from time to time but I have certainly seen individuals fitting that description a number of times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I dont really see the logic behind these paintings. They dont enhance the lives of the majority of people in the city (in my opinion) and i see it just as an indulgence for a certain "set" of people.

Art can be inclusive but this doesnt seem to be - to me anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Parchment wrote: »
    I dont really see the logic behind these paintings. They dont enhance the lives of the majority of people in the city (in my opinion) and i see it just as an indulgence for a certain "set" of people.

:confused:

You'll have to explain that one to me. In what way is it just "indulgence", and for what "set" of people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

An File wrote: »
    :confused:

You'll have to explain that one to me. In what way is it just "indulgence", and for what "set" of people?

The arty set in the city - think Mickey Martins, The White House etc...

From speaking to many co-workers/my parents/aunts/uncles etc most see it as graffiti not art therefore thats why i see it as an indulgence for a set of people rather than for the general population of the city.

Just an observation.

Maybe we are just not smart enough to "get" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Parchment wrote: »

Who do you feel this certain set of people are ? Most of people I have talked to that like these are working class like myself , surely that makes up the majority of people in Limerick ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I have to say I love the artwork, it really brightens up the buildings. It even brought me and my son into the city so we could find them all!
    Surely I can't be the only one who has come into the city specially to see them (and spend money!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭timesnewroman

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I have to say I love the artwork, it really brightens up the buildings. It even brought me and my son into the city so we could find them all!
    Surely I can't be the only one who has come into the city specially to see them (and spend money!)?

Brought some Aussies on a tour of the street art (and a mini pub crawl) two nights ago. They loved it.

I was in Orgosolo in Sardinia a few years ago - the place is a veritable outdoor art gallery and is a major tourist draw for a town that hasn't got a lot else going for it.

I can only see positives in this initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I think it's great that they are popping up everywhere.

Even better to hear people hear and at work etc. talking about walking around town to see them. These people go into town, maybe get a bite to eat, or spend a few quid in town. Hopefully they can become a bit of an attraction and increase the foot traffic in town. Every bit helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

LOVE it! I work on steamboat quay and so pass it everyday. I still get a wow factor when I see it looming up ahead. I would love to see more street art around the place, the city is looking great at the moment because of it.

New one being worked on on the side wall of the old County Council offices, on Mallow St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

I love all of them apart from the one on the Dock Road, there's a stark contrast between the definition of his face and the lack of definition of the hood.

To me it looks unfinished and misshaped like a proper artist did the face and zip, then got a 5 year old to draw the hood.

The rest of the art around town is so detailed, so vibrant and colourful that this one just leaves me feeling a little underwhelmed.

Advertisement