Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre Macroom

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    Any updates on this its been a while, have there been any plans to upgrade the lines in the new year. I finally caved in and said flip it I was out of contract with Vodafone next month but decided to upgrade to the exact same line for fibre 15mbps but the upload will be about 4 times better up to 3mbps which is decent. I like Vodafone in terms of calls and stuff but their customer service routing all the numbers to Cairo where half the lads can't speak English is not great. I will be getting the fibre for €25 for the first 3 months and it is is a free upgrade which is some consolation I guess.

Well its not a bad deal at the end of it , remember i had to move to get 50MB on DF. FTTH is coming to macroom itll be one of the last more remote phases at a guess , but with Eir you never know most of macroom already has the fiber run around the town . And as the town is so compressed it would'nt take much for them to roll it out . Siro i dont think will land here any time soon.

LTE (4g) with vodafone in macroom is very good by the way i get 65 down and around 30MB up but my company pays for that !!!

Voda seems to be the biggest install base in macroom ( War driving wise) . I am with Eir due to the delays i would envisage being with thrid party if there ever is an issue .

My dad in kerry is using 4g x 2 sim cards he flips them over mid month and can get around 40-50MB off it - he uses two so as not to go too far over cap and that is another thing i call shinanigans on the caps are pathetic . He gets 60GB allowance with two sims for 60 pm - eir cannot even offer him a 1MB dsl line so hes doing well consdiering .

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

dbit wrote: »
    Well its not a bad deal at the end of it , remember i had to move to get 50MB on DF. FTTH is coming to macroom itll be one of the last more remote phases at a guess , but with Eir you never know most of macroom already has the fiber run around the town . And as the town is so compressed it would'nt take much for them to roll it out . Siro i dont think will land here any time soon.

LTE (4g) with vodafone in macroom is very good by the way i get 65 down and around 30MB up but my company pays for that !!!

Voda seems to be the biggest install base in macroom ( War driving wise) . I am with Eir due to the delays i would envisage being with thrid party if there ever is an issue .

My dad in kerry is using 4g x 2 sim cards he flips them over mid month and can get around 40-50MB off it - he uses two so as not to go too far over cap and that is another thing i call shinanigans on the caps are pathetic . He gets 60GB allowance with two sims for 60 pm - eir cannot even offer him a 1MB dsl line so hes doing well consdiering .

Its just weird the set up of this town as I mentioned before a friend up the road was getting 70mbps plus over a year ago, fibre only came here in July 2015 and it is the same as it was on DSL I just don't understand why there was no effort at all to improve. Even if it had gone up to 30mbps that would have been something at least. And oh right your job covers you with Vodafone 4G, there has been parts of the town I got around 45mbps download and around 20mbps upload which I thought was great you must be in the best possible location ever I haven't seen it that fast even in Dublin!!!
    And oh right he has to use 2 sims so that he won't go over the caps, finally 3 have put there dreadful caps of 60GB a month up to 100GB & 250GB which is a step in the right direction but I don't know how good their coverage is compared with Vodafone, I'm guessing it is a lot less. Thats madness he can't even get 1mbps on a DSL line in 2015 its not like its 2005 or even 2010 its 2015!!!! Ireland are catching up with broadband but still feel behind to a lot of other EU countries. So do you reckon it could be another year before the Fibre I will be getting will be improved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Its just weird the set up of this town as I mentioned before a friend up the road was getting 70mbps plus over a year ago, fibre only came here in July 2015 and it is the same as it was on DSL I just don't understand why there was no effort at all to improve. Even if it had gone up to 30mbps that would have been something at least. And oh right your job covers you with Vodafone 4G, there has been parts of the town I got around 45mbps download and around 20mbps upload which I thought was great you must be in the best possible location ever I haven't seen it that fast even in Dublin!!!
    And oh right he has to use 2 sims so that he won't go over the caps, finally 3 have put there dreadful caps of 60GB a month up to 100GB & 250GB which is a step in the right direction but I don't know how good their coverage is compared with Vodafone, I'm guessing it is a lot less. Thats madness he can't even get 1mbps on a DSL line in 2015 its not like its 2005 or even 2010 its 2015!!!! Ireland are catching up with broadband but still feel behind to a lot of other EU countries. So do you reckon it could be another year before the Fibre I will be getting will be improved?

Honestly the time frame at which Eir or Siro will hit macroom likely hood at a guess would be 3 years. Ye poor aul dad in on the outskirts of killarney and there is what looks like an over sized cab for the area at the bottom of his main road clocked at exactky 900 meters , and yes 1 MB is not possible as he is on an extended reach that is fed from the exchange (Old house).

Guy across from hm owns his own car sales garage , flys his own helicopter in and out every day - still no amount of money seems to draw Eir 900 meters up the road lol.

Im on sleevean road so im up the hill , down by the hosptial where i used to live used to get zero 4 g reception. Old house was also too far from exchange for DF i would have only gotten 24 MB with 5 up.

dbit wrote: »
    Honestly the time frame at which Eir or Siro will hit macroom likely hood at a guess would be 3 years. Ye poor aul dad in on the outskirts of killarney and there is what looks like an over sized cab for the area at the bottom of his main road clocked at exactky 900 meters , and yes 1 MB is not possible as he is on an extended reach that is fed from the exchange (Old house).

Guy across from hm owns his own car sales garage , flys his own helicopter in and out every day - still no amount of money seems to draw Eir 900 meters up the road lol.

Im on sleevean road so im up the hill , down by the hosptial where i used to live used to get zero 4 g reception. Old house was also too far from exchange for DF i would have only gotten 24 MB with 5 up.

Are you saying Eir won't upgrade there systems till near 2019 to a reasonable standard? I don't get why they came in if they were not planning to do it all in one go rather then dribs and drabs. I mean as I have said that someone near is on 70mbps range which is easily more then satisfactory for me even 30mbps would be something lol. So you could even see Siro the super fast fibre could be in before Eir fully upgrades their infrastructure?
    What kind of distance does he need to be in to be at least getting 1mbps speeds which is ridiculous in near 2016? Well the guy near him does he have satellite internet or 3 or 4g perhaps? And are you getting good 4g coverage at the new place you live at. And so it has to be DF to be getting more then the 24mbps range I would even take that its some improvement at least lol

Just wondering then with the Macroom West cabinet that is planned for early 2016 will that make it more likely the speeds will improve on my line? Basically I am at the very end of the exchange from what the engineer said this morning. The download speed is about what I get but the upload has gone up 4-5 times from 0.6- 2.7/3 which is a good bit improvement. I was also told that if you wait around 24 hours or so the engineer said that my line is set to a profile of around 15mbps. Because a few years ago when I first got internet in I had a good speed of 22mbps, for the first 3 days but then it leveled of back to 15mbps maybe they can boost it slightly tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just wondering then with the Macroom West cabinet that is planned for early 2016 will that make it more likely the speeds will improve on my line? Basically I am at the very end of the exchange from what the engineer said this morning. The download speed is about what I get but the upload has gone up 4-5 times from 0.6- 2.7/3 which is a good bit improvement. I was also told that if you wait around 24 hours or so the engineer said that my line is set to a profile of around 15mbps. Because a few years ago when I first got internet in I had a good speed of 22mbps, for the first 3 days but then it leveled of back to 15mbps maybe they can boost it slightly tomorrow?

They can only set it to the max value indicated by the tests. Eirs systems dont allow "risks", but for the most part they're on the mark.

http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

Whatever this says its the best case.

ED E wrote: »
    They can only set it to the max value indicated by the tests. Eirs systems dont allow "risks", but for the most part they're on the mark.

http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

Whatever this says its the best case.

Thank you very much for this link and the software that is does is very good. I can actually get 18mbps on fibre obviously not the upgrade I was looking for but its better then nothing. The upload is at least 4 times plus faster which is handy for certain things. I hope in 2016 that things in the exchange get improved. I checked my friends line up the road they were able to get 90mbps which is mental in the difference fro here. I think it will be more then likely 2 years to sort out regular fibre to improve speeds here or there is a possibility down the line with Siro gaining ground, but might be even longer then 2 years.

Thank you very much for this link and the software that is does is very good. I can actually get 18mbps on fibre obviously not the upgrade I was looking for but its better then nothing. The upload is at least 4 times plus faster which is handy for certain things. I hope in 2016 that things in the exchange get improved. I checked my friends line up the road they were able to get 90mbps which is mental in the difference fro here. I think it will be more then likely 2 years to sort out regular fibre to improve speeds here or there is a possibility down the line with Siro gaining ground, but might be even longer then 2 years.

Its very unlikely we'll see an improved VDSL deployment within 5yrs IMO, assuming you're vectored now thats it. FTTH by 2020 if the NBP is to schedule.

Its very unlikely we'll see an improved VDSL deployment within 5yrs IMO, assuming you're vectored now thats it. FTTH by 2020 if the NBP is to schedule.

So it is more likely the Siro crowd will be set up rather then improved exchanges by 2020?

Eir or Siro FTTH, but either way a new cable run up your drive and a hole drilled in your wall.

• Advertisement

Eir or Siro FTTH, but either way a new cable run up your drive and a hole drilled in your wall.

If it was the Siro that comes through the power lines and then obviously you would need to drill certain holes into the property to feel the cable in? Is it 2016 that they are planning to roll out the 50 towns across Ireland or has that already commenced?

There is my download & upload. I called them up last night and they were very kind to but it up by a few megabytes. This test was also done wireless. It might even be a bit faster on the LAN.

And just to the like of ED E & dbit who have been consummate professionals with their advice and knowledge happy crimbo and new year to both of yous and have a good time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If it was the Siro that comes through the power lines and then obviously you would need to drill certain holes into the property to feel the cable in?

Siro doesn't use the power lines just the infrastructure, poles and ducts to carry the fibre just like open-eir.
    Is it 2016 that they are planning to roll out the 50 towns across Ireland or has that already commenced?

http://siro.ie/roll-out/
    SIRO is now available through our first retail partner Vodafone, in Dundalk County Louth and Carrigaline County Cork

The Cush wrote: »
    Siro doesn't use the power lines just the infrastructure, poles and ducts to carry the fibre just like open-eir.

http://siro.ie/roll-out/

Thanks Cush you have been very helpful on this thread as well and Dundalk is one then used to live there thats good to know and Carrogline pity it wasn't my town its less then an hour away from us for sure.

Just had a quick thought. Firstly happy new year to everyone on this thread and secondly has there been any speedtests done on boards with people who have the Siro service that is available I would be interested in seeing some of the download and upload speeds. If anyone could provide a link to any would be greatly appreciated cheers :)

Been a while snce I posted near 2 months. I am happy enough I guess with the slight increase of Fibre speeds 15-18mbps but could be a lot better. Just wondering does this article have much merit? http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/telecoms-group-enet-plans-bid-for-rural-broadband-scheme-1.2562348

I have also tried threes new service from a friends device and was getting between 20-35mbps and upload from around 5-20mbps, but that was only in my area I am guessing if you are nearer to masts or higher up you would get better speeds. It is depressing to know 4G has fast speed then a Fibre line to my house. I am happy to see three put an investment into their company very much needed but the price atm is very high. There top package is like €75 for 250GB which is a little on the high side. I'm guessing it will be like that for a few years to get the infrastructure in place with all the upgrades and new masts going on around the country. At least its a positive step in the right direction and at least maybe in a few years there will be more reasonable bundles on 4G and hopefully Fibre will be at a higher standard. If people are interested as well there is an offer on for half price for 6 months which is very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

There's no fibre line to your house, it's still copper from the exchange.

guil wrote: »
    There's no fibre line to your house, it's still copper from the exchange.

I know that I was just saying about the speeds and better service.

Just called up Vodafone out of curiosity to see if I can get any boosts on where I am with the Fibre to try get it at least to 20mbps or slightly higher still no joy but he said maybe call back at end of May. He said maybe by the end of the year or early next we should be looking at speeds closer to the 100mbps is there any truth to this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement