Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre Macroom

Options
  • 22-07-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi there I had a question I would really like answering. I have looked on the rollout map for my area and says that efibre is available in macroom but when you do a line check or ask online support not available yet or we don't know when it will be there. I was told it would behere in February then pushed back to April, May,June and now July and still no sign. Will it be pushed back longer or what's the story? I would like to know whats such the big delay because I was told there were network vans in the area a few weeks ago upgrading lines downtown but when will they be coming to Masseytown area? What is the sub company doing the upgrade for efibre I don't think its directly eircom because when you ring up they can't even find out from engineers either. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated just really want fibre in something that is long over due across Ireland but could help to start another boom period again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As per the rollout thread the cabs go live 6th of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

ED E wrote: »
    Do you live in the area or work for eircom? So Masseytown will defo be connected on the 6th or by the 6th? Thanks for helping so far

Neither, I'm just a networking nerd.

Looking at the map you might be direct fed. If thats the case you'll be waiting on Comreg to release direct fed to be sold by eircom wholesale. No date for that yet.

Depending on where exactly your house is in that area you're looking at around the 30Mb mark.

Probably is direct fed so you wont get it for at least a couple months, though most of the town will have it in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the information and a couple of months I've been told by the end of month or as you said around first week off august. I was sold Vodafone up to 100mbs now your telling me 30mbs is alli will get sure that's barely better then what I'm getting which is 15mbs. Why would my line be so poor and take till September October to here?

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    Thanks for all the information and a couple of months I've been told by the end of month or as you said around first week off august. I was sold Vodafone up to 100mbs now your telling me 30mbs is alli will get sure that's barely better then what I'm getting which is 15mbs. Why would my line be so poor and take till September October to here?

Distance. If you live at the Masseytown crossroads (the V in the main road) thats 1.4km from the exchange. eFibre (VDSL2) only goes to 2.2km Max so you're at the slower end.

Your download may not be much better but your upload will be which is good for gaming and skype etc so still worth upgrading most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

30 is twice 15 and unless you are downloading lots of torrents, its a great speed. Once your upload and ping times are good, your service will be satisfactory. Its not all about dl speed

TheDriver wrote: »
    30 is twice 15 and unless you are downloading lots of torrents, its a great speed. Once your upload and ping times are good, your service will be satisfactory. Its not all about dl speed
    I'm sorry 30 I's not fibre high fast broadband I download from Sky on Demand and stream on YouTube and Netflix usually in HD. I think I was totally mislead when sold the package I was told up to 100mbs. Now of course I knew I wouldn't get that but to get 30 percent of that are you kidding me. Minimum I would be happy with is 50 and realistically it should be close to 75. How can any one truely say 30mbs is fibre and not only that its not even close to what's being advertised.

None of its fibre really, its fibre to the cab not fibre to the home.

Its your only option really so id still take it if I were you. If you want more move into town.

None of its fibre really, its fibre to the cab not fibre to the home.

Its your only option really so id still take it if I were you. If you want more move into town.
    Can I ask you a question do you know much about this ESB Vodafone joint venture to run fibre through the lines that way would it come to a town like macroom or is that years away?

BK has researched that more, but its a long way off and we dont have many details yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Surely at this stage people are giving up on the "I've been mis-sold" line. Copper backed products are always "up to". It's really not a secret anymore. There is nothing anyone can do about it, it's not like there's somebody deliberately doing it to annoy people!

Its poor advertisement though. Getting 30 percent off something is really poor I'd expect bare minimum of 50 I'd be happy with that because its near 3.5x my current, double is not good enough what so ever. Realistically I would have preferred it to be 75- near full amount. Lets say you paid to get some work done and someone only did 30 percent of the work and advertised he/she could do up to 100 percent off work but because of limitations it might be closer to 75 you would be a bit annoyed they couldn't do the 100 but if they got 75 plus percent done you wouldn't be really pissed as if they done 30 which is poor. Just think if these companies are rolling out a product make it damn good so that it doesnt all have to be dug up in a few years to improve the service and make it last 10 years plus. Are you from Macroom yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I hear what your saying however i don't think anyone out there actually believes they are getting the max of the up to speed. The websites also tell you nowadays what speed you are actually capable of getting.

I just don't see the point of poor advertising I hope I get more then 30 ill take 50 but if I get 30 or less they are going to be getting a strong call from me and getting an earful because its not what I was promised.

If you're so pissed at 30 stay on ADSL....

Eircoms options were give you VDSl at whatever speed or ftth in 5-10 years. They can't advertise with "100m at 200m, 80 at 350m, 70 at 500m......", it'll always be up to X.

I'm just saying why say up to such a speed state more clearly if you are further away from exchanges. its kind of crazy that even if you are a mile or more away you lose near 70 percent of what the maximum potential that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I agree with you, im supposed to get 24meg and most days im only getting 5 , but with efibre you get better upload speed and ping , am i right? Im also waiting months for efibre and everytime i ring they say a couple more weeks. Sick of it now

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I agree with you, im supposed to get 24meg and most days im only getting 5 , but with efibre you get better upload speed and ping , am i right? Im also waiting months for efibre and everytime i ring they say a couple more weeks. Sick of it now

Couldn't agree more with what you said there as well. We were told months ago it was meant to be here but been waiting 4-5 months extra and maybe could be longer still not here even though it says on the Fibre map its here in this town. Your getting poor speeds if you are only getting 5mb from a 24mb potential are you from Macroom or another area. From my understanding the further away you are from the exchange you get slow speeds. Upload would be nice if it was faster but Id rather have faster download speeds so that there is never lag doing multiple things in my house like Streaming, in HD with 2 or 3 things as well as Skyping as well. Thanks for the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with what you said there as well. We were told months ago it was meant to be here but been waiting 4-5 months extra and maybe could be longer still not here even though it says on the Fibre map its here in this town. Your getting poor speeds if you are only getting 5mb from a 24mb potential are you from Macroom or another area. From my understanding the further away you are from the exchange you get slow speeds. Upload would be nice if it was faster but Id rather have faster download speeds so that there is never lag doing multiple things in my house like Streaming, in HD with 2 or 3 things as well as Skyping as well. Thanks for the comment.

Sorry for hijacking but hypothetically speaking say if you lived 2km from the exchange but the cabinet was only 70m from your door then would be expecting to get an awful lot closer to the 100mb mark when efibre arrives?

Sorry for hijacking but hypothetically speaking say if you lived 2km from the exchange but the cabinet was only 70m from your door then would be expecting to get an awful lot closer to the 100mb mark when efibre arrives?

Im not exactly sure of that tbh the cabinets are those green things must try and look how far that is away from my house.

• Advertisement

Is there any update on when the cabinet goes live for my area?

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

See for yourself, pushed back a week to the 13th.

Are you sure 100 percent everytime I call either Eircom & Vodafone have no dates and when you ask they can't even find out or ask an engineer lol thanks for your help dude.

It says Im around 1km from the exchange max from looking at the map and mapping it out will that increase the chance of boosting the speeds up then? Also had a quick question is there a sub contracted company that are doing all the networking for Eircom or is it themselves doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

As per the site exchanges are live 13/Aug , but hold your horses if you happen to hang off teh main exchange in the village MRMA then your in for a bit of a suprise as they havent deployed LLU yet - so 2015 for anyone in the middle of the town . If the line checker is coming back with its live int he town but not yet enabled for your address then your same as me hanging off the main exchange and not scheduled for deploy unitl sometime in 2015 while your neighbours sit back and enjoy moderately ok speeds . ITs a farce and not true fiber . Im holding out now for ESB networks and vodafone delivering 1000MB to the home over the next year or two .

( Friend in Cavan is very very happy with stability and speeds thus far on ESB test phase)

dbit wrote: »
    As per the site exchanges are live 13/Aug , but hold your horses if you happen to hang off teh main exchange in the village MRMA then your in for a bit of a suprise as they havent deployed LLU yet - so 2015 for anyone in the middle of the town . If the line checker is coming back with its live int he town but not yet enabled for your address then your same as me hanging off the main exchange and not scheduled for deploy unitl sometime in 2015 while your neighbours sit back and enjoy moderately ok speeds . ITs a farce and not true fiber . Im holding out now for ESB networks and vodafone delivering 1000MB to the home over the next year or two .

( Friend in Cavan is very very happy with stability and speeds thus far on ESB test phase)

From looking at the exchanges on the list, I actually looked at the map wrong we are less then 300m from this exchange MRM1__009 which is great as it goes live on 13th. So your saying even though it may go live at this stage, we might not be necessarily get it straight away then? The Vodafone sales man said once you here exchanges are live call up Vodafone and they'll send someone out to upgrade you. What is LLU exactly is that not sure what that is, so from that exchange we might get the service sooner then the end of the year?
    I totally agree from the bits I read about the Vodafone/ ESB Fibre deal that was struck last month and the rollout planned all going well this country can really benefit looks amazing to see what kind of speeds were Cavan getting from the trials?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 suaimhneas_de

Hi..

I live in Raleigh North (within the efibre map on the eircom web page) ' so I had a look at the fibrerollout website and it claims that I'm 1.7km from the cabinet at SullaneWeirs.. However if I look at where my line comes from, it seems to be going all over the world to get to me in Raleigh North...

Looking at the main Killarney road, there doesn't seem to be a direct eircom line running along the road, Me thinks that the line seems to head off up codrum and come back down around again.. Which means that I'm probably around 5KM from the cabinet. Just wondering if this is the case or not..?

At the moment I'm getting a max of 5MB on my NGB line..

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what speed I could expect to get via eFibre...

Maybe the ESB 100m is my only hope of a decent line...

Thanks...

Hi..

I live in Raleigh North (within the efibre map on the eircom web page) ' so I had a look at the fibrerollout website and it claims that I'm 1.7km from the cabinet at SullaneWeirs.. However if I look at where my line comes from, it seems to be going all over the world to get to me in Raleigh North...

Looking at the main Killarney road, there doesn't seem to be a direct eircom line running along the road, Me thinks that the line seems to head off up codrum and come back down around again.. Which means that I'm probably around 5KM from the cabinet. Just wondering if this is the case or not..?

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what speed I could expect to get via eFibre...

Thanks...

Some of the other guys who helped me out in the thread seem to know more but if you are over 1km from the exchange then it seems that you will lose some speeds alright but the less you are away from then you get improved speeds. Did you check the link for the exchanges in the thread which one are you the nearest to you the name of it?

Hi..

Thanks...

If you're getting 5 at most you're 3.75km, most likely less than 3.5 from the exchange. If to reach the cab it would be 5km you aren't through that cab.

Line may be underground on the main road.

Either way sounds like none of this will benefit you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Can anyone say what the very minimum that efibre will offer, if it says your area is in the efibre map but you're between 1.5 and 2 km away from the cabinet?

Advertisement