Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priced out of the market :(

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

MouseTail wrote: »
    Have you ever been to those English seaside towns, like Eastbourne? I find them very depressing, almost like old people have been ghettoised. A dystopian town where young people and children have vanished. i know thats not the case, and they retire there by choice, but I certainly prefer a society of intergenerational living, and believe that is the model we should strive for.

Don't have to go to England for that, Dun Laoghaire is full of old wrinklies in over sized houses and slow cars. The average age of the town must be near 70, which is why all the shops are closing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

No Pants wrote: »
    The helpless crybaby act, often employed in these situations, appears to have worked.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-benefactor-offers-old-family-home-to-evicted-pensioners-30460397.html

Doesn't say where this house is located. I sincerely hope it's in an area that aesthetically pleasing.

Probably wo't be near enough to the family, won't have a satellite dish. Cue more whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Probably wo't be near enough to the family, won't have a satellite dish. Cue more whinging.

Wait til that person wants to sell their house or move into it.
    Try getting this guy out of it and see how this act of generosity turns out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Doesn't say where this house is located. I sincerely hope it's in an area that aesthetically pleasing.

Navan apparently......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I wonder why they never bought, its unusual for a couple that age to either never have bought or else have council housing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Navan apparently......
    So that's a no then... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Navan apparently......
    LOL. Can see them not taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

the_syco wrote: »

"LOL" is always the first thing that jumps into my head when people are being evicted from their home of 15 years.

I might say that to my friends who are halfway into a lease and have just discovered that their home is advertised for sale on myhome and the landlord refuses to say more than "the bank made me do it".

I think its more a worry for the Irish and English not owning your own home. The prices I have noticed in Dublin 15 have gone up a good bit in the last few months (thats asking prices anyhow). If you can't afford the house/apartment just don't worry about it. Renting costs will remain high only until the new properties come on stream in the next few years.

Your right, a friend of mine put his house up for sale in Dublin 15 for 199, it was sale agreed in 3 hours for 220 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The helpless crybaby act, often employed in these situations, appears to have worked.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-benefactor-offers-old-family-home-to-evicted-pensioners-30460397.html

the_syco wrote: »

Can we improve the tone of the posts please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

been single = pretty much no hope of getting a mortgage for anything in dublin.
    I could just about afford it if it's in the middle of nowhere, but all my family and friends are in dublin.

Mind you ,most of my cousins etc my age are all in the same boat. either still living in parents or had to move back in. The family homes are all worth quite a bit now, but no use as nothing we can do short of selling the family home and all move way out of the cities.

I currently earn about 2200 a month which is ok, a 30 year Mortgage for 300000 would be app 1500 a month which actually wouldn't get any house in my area, and or course i wasn't earning that type of money for most of my early career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness, boom or bust, it has been a long time since te prce of family homes in good areas were based on a single person's salary

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Single people buying houses would drive the price of those houses for the people who actually need them higher anyway.
    Single people dont need to own a 3 or 4 bed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What do they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Dredd_J wrote: »
    Single people buying houses would drive the price of those houses for the people who actually need them higher anyway.
    Agreed, there's about a million people in Dublin, half of which are single. That would be 750,000 3/4 bed houses people want. We need to get realistic.

I realise my figures don't take into account a lot of things, but you see what I'm getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Agreed, there's about a million people in Dublin, half of which are single. That would be 750,000 3/4 bed houses people want. We need to get realistic.

I realise my figures don't take into account a lot of things, but you see what I'm getting at.

In some cases they do, and illustrate in some way the changing housing demand. After marital or relationship breakdown, both parents might need a 3 bed house or apartment. Our planning and construction levels have been totally out of kilter with demographics for years, and I don't see a correction any time soon, 2020 is what policy is aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Dredd_J wrote: »

You can't recommend people buy on the assumption of living in place for 10-15 years and for them not to take future proofing into consideration. Just because a single person doesn't currently fully utilise a 3 or 4 bed house doesn't mean they won't in the near future.

Anyway, whether or not a single person "needs" a 3 or 4 bed house is irrelevant. We live in a capitalist society, if a someone wishes to buy an asset, and has the means to do so at what the market is offering, then they can buy the asset. If they can't, well those are the swings.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

any single person with a shred of sense would invest in at least a 3 bed, circumstances change, one minute you're free and single next minute you have a girlfriend pregnant with twins!

also having 2 rooms to rent out if you fall on hard times always helps and who wants to risk being stuck in a 1 bedroom shoebox apartment and not be able to offload it, too many people have been burned with that type of thinking. The property ladder ideals of past has too many people nervous with such a volatile and uncertain property market, not everyone fancies being a landlord either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

dubrov wrote: »
    In fairness, boom or bust, it has been a long time since te prce of family homes in good areas were based on a single person's salary

They never were. This notion that a single person should be able to afford a family style home in a good area is a celtic tiger hangover.

Why would I buy a place as a single person on the assumption I'll never need the extra rooms. I would not get a 25/30 year mortgage for a place I wouldn't be able to live in for 25/30 years. I'm sure people who bought apartments in their 20s during the boom can understand that.

• Advertisement

They never were. This notion that a single person should be able to afford a family style home in a good area is a celtic tiger hangover.

The "traditional" family model in this country would often have involved one salary anyway. Even on two salaries, if a couple has kids I can't see how they'd be much better off than a single person without the expenditure that goes with them.

Advertisement