Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsion to convert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I'd even go as far as to say christmas trees should be banned too.

:mad:

I dare you to go over to the Christmas forum and say that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd even go as far as to say christmas trees should be banned too.

It's not a *****mas tree, it's a winterval annual gifting period tree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

efb wrote: »
    Easy money for barristers

Barristers aren't involved in the Employment Appeals Tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Links234 wrote: »
    It's not a *****mas tree, it's a winterval annual gifting period tree :)

Winterviel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

What about the Death God cthulhu ?

Doesn't exist, FSM does though, He speaks to me about the pasta and the present :D

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »

That too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

kylith wrote: »
    Gotta love the idea that people who DON'T think that the entire universe was created specifically for them, and who DON'T believe that an all-powerful being is watching over them at all times are the vain ones.
    Got to agree with this. To believe that you know the answers to questions of Life, the Universe, and Everything, because your religion tells you that's how it is, is quite the opposite of humility. It's scientists who are far more likely to say "we don't know". Can you tolerate the idea that you may never have satisfying answers to your questions? Or do you have to fill the gap in your knowledge with something, even if it's total bullcrap? :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

bumper234 wrote: »
    Doesn't exist, FSM does though, He speaks to me about the pasta and the present :D

Blasphemer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bnt wrote: »
    Got to agree with this. To believe that you know the answers to questions of Life, the Universe, and Everything, because your religion tells you that's how it is, is quite the opposite of humility. It's scientists who are far more likely to say "we don't know". Can you tolerate the idea that you may never have satisfying answers to your questions? Or do you have to fill the gap in your knowledge with something, even if it's total bullcrap? :pac:
    And if there is a God scientists are probably much closer to him because they're the ones actually studying the universe he created without human bias and agendas.

But human bias and agendas are what the idea of god is all about. The idea that science and religion are opposing each other is a fabrication which is easily unravelled by anyone who has read any history.

The idea that belief in god is a stop-gap for lack of knowledge is silly.

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    But human bias and agendas are what the idea of god is all about.
    That's a new one on me. I can't really make sense of that sentence at all.
    The idea that science and religion are opposing each other is a fabrication which is easily unravelled by anyone who has read any history.
    It's not a fabrication. Bible says one thing, science says another.

ScumLord wrote: »

It's not a fabrication. Bible says one thing, science says another.

Example?

Example?
    It got how the universe was created wrong, not just that god created it over the course of a week but the sequence of events is wrong in the bible. All the anti gay stuff goes against the natural order as homosexuality happens even outside of the human species.

It got how the universe was created wrong, not just that god created it over the course of a week but the sequence of events is wrong in the bible.

Don't be facetious, I'm sure you know what an allegory is.
    All the anti gay stuff goes against the natural order as homosexuality happens even outside of the human species.

It is too easy to patly dismiss the teachings of ancient cultures by using today's moral standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This sounds like a completely bonkers precedent to have set.

You're supposed to be working at work. Not annoying your colleagues.

I really wouldn't appreciate being preached at about religion, politics or anything else in the workplace.

I sincerely hope this is appealed as it's going to create absolute mayhem for some employers and employees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Overheal wrote: »
    Did anyone read the article without bias?

It does mention the incidences that happened were 'in a coffee shop' 'someone on a motorbike' etc. and he was even told not to do this during his lunch hours?
    Sorry OH but it does say he was on the job:
    n August 2008, he left the office to check on the construction of a footpath. While doing so he met a man with a motorbike to whom he spoke about religion.

His job was to check construction, not stop and proselytise to passersby.

The coffee shop part is unclear. It's unclear whether he was still suspended or not. In that case I'd say it's his own business not theirs.

But even after that:
    n June 2010, the borough council manager informed Mr McAteer that he was to be dismissed after speaking to a man working as a contractor at the council offices about Jesus.

I think I'm going to go learn French and move to France. Ireland's just too nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

he'll struggle to find full time work again now that he took his former employers to court. name all over the papers. future employers will run a mile before giving him an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

he'll struggle to find full time work again now that he took his former employers to court. name all over the papers. future employers will run a mile before giving him an interview.

Surely his God will provide for him?

What this means is that I'm going to have to put up with somewhat super-religious colleagues preaching at me all day?

Technically speaking, almost every religion has some kind of evangelical clause in there somewhere.

• Advertisement

Will you permit me to pray for you, Spacetime?

Absolutely! However, under the most sacred texts of my religion, you'd also have to provide me with a fresh €50 note every 3 minutes and also provide me with a supply of coffee and noise cancelling headphones.

It's an odd religion, but I'm afraid you'll just have to respect it or I'll have no option but to report you to HR.

Oooh, do me! Can you ask Jesus to give me ten million euro?

Oh yeah, you're also required to do the praying in a different room...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Oooh, do me! Can you ask Jesus to give me ten million euro?

ill pray for 20mil if you spilt it 50/50 :P

Oooh, do me!
    ;)

Can you ask Jesus to give me ten million euro?

14,23,32,45,50 5/7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

There is always a choice; either accept humility in the face of the mystery of existence, or let vanity prevail.

Which can one choose, and remain human?

Well vanity would be to assume your presence on earth is part of some special plan, and that you have the ability to invoke the protection and assistance of some divine power through nothing more than a prayer.

Humility would be acceptance of the fact that your presence on earth is due to nothing more than an astonishing series of random acts which have shaped the earth and resulted in your very existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

But human bias and agendas are what the idea of god is all about. .
    That's a new one on me. I can't really make sense of that sentence at all.

Actually it's quite simple, and the most honest thing I've seen a theist admit. Human biases and agendas are what gods are about - you claim that all your biases and agendas are actually divine instructions and edicts and Presto! - you're not a massive bigot, you're just following your god's orders to deny gay people rights, or whatever.

It's very handy, actually.

Don't be facetious, I'm sure you know what an allegory is.
    Since when is the old testament supposed to be an allegory? When it all got shown for the work of fiction that it is?

It is too easy to patly dismiss the teachings of ancient cultures by using today's moral standards.
    It sure is. So you agree we should dismiss ancient cultures values?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Barristers aren't involved in the Employment Appeals Tribunal.

They can be but aren't required.

Advertisement