Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daredevil [Netflix/Disney - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will be coming off the nightshift at 9am and will go straight into a full binge, I haven't done a proper binge in a while.

I will be coming off the nightshift at 9am and will go straight into a full binge, I haven't done a proper binge in a while.

My plan is to watch the whole thing this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

First two episodes have been pretty good so far,
    that corridor scene at the end of episode two though was pretty awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

this isn't bad - finale was a major let-down though, so predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Unfollowing thread. I will be back once all episodes are watched

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

donfers wrote: »
    this isn't bad - finale was a major let-down though, so predictable

Didn't the episodes only get added at 8:00? It's only 13:00, how have you watched all 13 episodes lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Loving this show. 5 episodes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

You know what I love about this show.

The fights look real, Murdock gets tired as he's fighting. He's not some invincible fighting machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Only watched the first episode so far but love how dark it is, one of the things I dislike most about Arrow/Flash is the childishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just finished episode 3 and what a cracking ending :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Just finished as far as episode 5.
    The violence is brutal in parts...
    it's great that Marvel have gone this gritty with it.
    No way this could have aired on ABC alongside Agents of Shield. Really enjoying it so far.

Episode 2
    the scene at the end where he goes to rescue the kid and fights all the Russians - holy sh!t! Absolutely brilliant camera work and choreography for a TV show, some movies don't even deliver fight scenes with that quality. It reminded me of the Oldboy fight scene and I'd be surprised if it wasn't inspired by it.

So easy and enjoyable to watch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Completed the full binge.

A great finale to a great series that really lived up to the hype.

I will sit back next week and watch it all again over the space of a week and take more of it in.

Can't wait to meet the next Defender..A.K.A. Jessica Jones later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Four episodes in. Liking this a lot.

I don't need sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Are these gonna get second seasons or are they all just going to fall under the defenders banner, be a shame not to get a second solo season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Enoyed that.

As Daredevil fights mostly hands free, I'm wondering what, if anything, They'll do to differentiate Iron Fist's fighting style (apart from the whole magic chi hands thang).

Thanks to Arrow I'm burnt out on characters growling "this city" or "my city" though.
    The classic DD costume is a bit silly around the face for my tastes. Poo to killing off Ben Urich too. I wanted Front Line as a blog. And, y'know, the (white in the comic) black guy dying was an audible groan rather than what-a-twist!

Surprised the MCU did a rerun of the dementia scene from Winter Soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

That suicide in episode 3 scared the **** outta me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

That was so much better than I expected. Enjoyed it from start to finish. Very dark and gritty, and quite violent, which is just how I like it.

More please!

There's so many beautiful sequences so far. The Old Boy homage, as many have called it. According to Reddit, the 6th or 7th take was the one that was used, so the exhaustion at the end is real.

Another scene with a Chinese guy in the back of a cab as the Russians are in doing whatever and the camera pans around.

So far the action sequences are so well shot and hard hitting, better than the majority of what Hollywood action movies are churning out. For what is essentially a 15s there's a fair amount of blood and violence.
    Only watched the first episode so far but love how dark it is, one of the things I dislike most about Arrow/Flash is the childishness.

It's amazing what a TV show can do once they're outside of Network control.

There's so many beautiful sequences so far. The Old Boy homage, as many have called it. According to Reddit, the 6th or 7th take was the one that was used, so the exhaustion at the end is real.

Another scene with a Chinese guy in the back of a cab as the Russians are in doing whatever and the camera pans around.

So far the action sequences are so well shot and hard hitting, better than the majority of what Hollywood action movies are churning out. For what is essentially a 15s there's a fair amount of blood and violence.

It's amazing what a TV show can do once they're outside of Network control.

I liked that too but the execution wasn't as good as it could've been. Just like the 'one shot' fight scene took inspiration from Oldboy I think that taxi shot took inspiration from Children of Men. It was still great but just could've been done smoother. I hope the other shows continue this style though, that way by the time they get to the defenders mini series we'll see some amazing work.

• Advertisement

I liked that too but the execution wasn't as good as it could've been. Just like the 'one shot' fight scene took inspiration from Oldboy I think that taxi shot took inspiration from Children of Men. It was still great but just could've been done smoother. I hope the other shows continue this style though, that way by the time they get to the defenders mini series we'll see some amazing work.

TBH they can take inspiration from whatever they want if they can execute it right and, boy, can they execute it right

Given that this exist in the Marvel universe and, thus, the Avengers exist, can anyone tell me how this fits in the timeline with, say, the Battle of New York? I know there was a passing throwaway abogagabouton Man and Thor, so this must take place at least after Iron Man #1 and Thor #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Given that this exist in the Marvel universe and, thus, the Avengers exist, can anyone tell me how this fits in the timeline with, say, the Battle of New York? I know there was a passing throwaway abogagabouton Man and Thor, so this must take place at least after Iron Man #1 and Thor #1.
    Per Wikipedia
    In February 2015, Emma Fleisher of Marvel Television stated that Daredevil takes place in the aftermath of the Battle of New York as depicted in The Avengers. "We are still part of the Marvel Universe, but we are not explicitly in that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. world. We're in our own corner. So the aliens came down and ruined the city, and this is the story of Hell's Kitchen's rebuild

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_%28TV_series%29#Music

Episode 8:
    The writing at the end of this episode is excellent. Felt like I was watching a sequel to TDK for a minute lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

At times there is a real Batman Begins off this show ( the scenes around the docks etc.Not a bad thing). I'm at episode 8 at the minute

I'd never really gotten into DareDevil before, are the comics worth a go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

How many shots of the Skyline and not one glimpse of Avengers Tower? Unless I totally missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

I'd never really gotten into DareDevil before, are the comics worth a go ?

I think so.

I'd say aim for Frank Miller's run and beyond if you want a similar tone as the show though (many of the people in the special thanks credits). Dunno where they're at now but when Mark Waid took over relatively recently he brought the character to somewhere between Miller's proto-Batman Daredevil and the original "swashbuckler" Daredevil that was similar to Spider-Man. Which I enjoyed; however, if you want as close to the show as possible, DD battling the likes of The Spot might not be the best place to start. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

So second episode, he is about to be greatly outnumbered fighting in some dingy basement. They show him walking past what appear to be circuit breakers. I thought for sure they were going to have him cut the lights. What good is being a blind superhero if you can't take that advantage from time to time? I suppose it was more important to make the fight scene visible to the viewer, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

So I'm on Episode 8 And this has overtaken Gotham as my favourite superhero based TV show - although with the darker tone and rated 18 language and violence I suppose it's not fair to compare.

However a few things that annoy me (they are general so I don't think spoiler tags are needed)

1 - Maybe I'm just being paranoid but at certain moments I feel like the Netflix budget is being felt. I mean in one episode a character refused to take other characters to their office and discussed sensitive information in a busy reception area. ALSO every episode seemingly begins with Karen, Foggy and Matt at the office and then they all part their ways for the rest of the episode (saving on shooting schedules maybe?)

2 - I don't really feel Karen and Matt have had any sort of one on one scene outside of the first 2 episodes which is kinda frustrating

3 - the scenes are SO dark literally! I struggle to see what's going on sometimes. Ok it is the tone of the show but what is the point of fantastic action sequences if you can hardly see them (maybe I'm going blind myself) I get that Matt doesn't need lights but the rest of the characters don't seem to either. We only get colour when it's his childhood apparently.

Also where did Claire go??

Still though it's a bloody brilliant show! Love the dialogue and Daredevil is just so brave which is why I like the character in the first place

• Advertisement

So I'm on Episode 8 And this has overtaken Gotham as my favourite superhero based TV show - although with the darker tone and rated 18 language and violence I suppose it's not fair to compare.

However a few things that annoy me (they are general so I don't think spoiler tags are needed)

1 - Maybe I'm just being paranoid but at certain moments I feel like the Netflix budget is being felt. I mean in one episode a character refused to take other characters to their office and discussed sensitive information in a busy reception area. ALSO every episode seemingly begins with Karen, Foggy and Matt at the office and then they all part their ways for the rest of the episode (saving on shooting schedules maybe?)

2 - I don't really feel Karen and Matt have had any sort of one on one scene outside of the first 2 episodes which is kinda frustrating

3 - the scenes are SO dark literally! I struggle to see what's going on sometimes. Ok it is the tone of the show but what is the point of fantastic action sequences if you can hardly see them (maybe I'm going blind myself) I get that Matt doesn't need lights but the rest of the characters don't seem to either. We only get colour when it's his childhood apparently.

Also where did Claire go??

Still though it's a bloody brilliant show! Love the dialogue and Daredevil is just so brave which is why I like the character in the first place

It's only 15s. Probably because they never say "fuk". They don't need to though, really, since if they had them frequently saying fuk it'd be weird to possibly do crossovers with movies or even network shows and suddenly have them not even say " sh!t".

Also, is the 'Netflix budget' considered bad? They're putting $300m into the entire four seasons + defenders mini series AFAIK which means this season of DD probably received ~$50m. That's not exactly low budget lol, it actually feels much higher budget than all other superhero shows I've checked out, especially since it doesn't have that cheap soap show appearance they all seem to have.

Netflix also invested around $90m in Marco Polo season one which is far more than any Game of Thrones seasons so far, so they're pretty comfortable backing their content up with money and not skimping out. I'm sure they were cautious with this season to not go overboard to get a feel of the reception a superhero show like this would receive for them but since it's been a huge success so far they'll probably be a lot more confident in the follow up series.

The struggle with the darkness may be your TV if it has bad black levels. Mines pretty good and I had no issues with that, but it would be even better to watch on a plasma display.

I also missed Claire. She made out that she doesn't want to be near him because of what he does but I expected that to go like Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy lol, especially when she helped him with the guy on the roof.

Advertisement