Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban legends that people swear are true because it happened to their 'friend'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Custardpi wrote: »
    As with the pet allowance/communion grant these are things that would be covered under Exceptional Needs Payments. From what I can gather these have been tightened up or even ended (at least officially) in the last few years but there could well have been an expectation on the part of some claimants previously that a lost buggy would be automatically replaced.

I can assure everybody that there was absolutely NEVER a "pet allowance".

Could well be truth in this one. Have you ever seen Monsters Inside Me on Discovery?

Also in regards to the buggy myth, while I havent seen that exact turn of events, I did witness an English woman leave a childs stroller at a bus stop once because there was no room for it. To be fair though there was no mention of Social welfare or the likes. But the plus side of the story, a woman nearby with a battered stroller walked up after the bus left and swapped over to the better one left behind :) To be fair the woman who left it looked like she could afford to leave it and the woman who took it looked like she could do with it.

Should have took it myself though cos I ended up buying one a few weeks later and they aint cheap.

Not a myth, absolute truth. A family member and boyfriend went on holidays ALOT during Celtic tiger and just left all their dirty washing on the bed on checkout day, cos they couldn't be bothered bringing it home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Not a myth, absolute truth. A family member and boyfriend went on holidays ALOT during Celtic tiger and just left all their dirty washing on the bed on checkout day, cos they couldn't be bothered bringing it home.

Not the same story though surely?

Was watching a particularly good episode of Boston Legal last night, a young lawyer whose defending a client in her first trial recounts the urban legend as a personal anecdote.

One day she's sitting in the kitchen when her dog comes in at the door with the next door neighbour's pet rabbit in its jaws. She freaks out as she knows how beloved the rabbit is, so scolding the dog, she takes the dead rabbit from between its teeth and gives the poor bunny a good wash.

Once the rabbit is clean again she uses a hairdryer to dry and fluff up its fur, then strategically steals over next door's fence and places the bunny back in its hutch in the hope that the neighbours will be fooled into thinking it died of natural causes.

Later the same evening her parents come home to tell her that the neighbours are extremely upset. It seems the bunny did in fact die of natural causes and they had buried it in the nearby woods ; in the meantime some sicko had dug it up and put it back in its cage! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Was watching a particularly good episode of Boston Legal last night, a young lawyer whose defending a client in her first trial recounts the urban legend as a personal anecdote.

One day she's sitting in the kitchen when her dog comes in at the door with the next door neighbour's pet rabbit in its jaws. She freaks out as she knows how beloved the rabbit is, so scolding the dog, she takes the dead rabbit from between its teeth and gives the poor bunny a good wash.

Once the rabbit is clean again she uses a hairdryer to dry and fluff up its fur, then strategically steals over next door's fence and places the bunny back in its hutch in the hope that the neighbours will be fooled into thinking it died of natural causes.

Later the same evening her parents come home to tell her that the neighbours are extremely upset. It seems the bunny did in fact die of natural causes and they had buried it in the nearby woods ; in the meantime some sicko had dug it up and put it back in its cage! :)

Sounds very like that episode Of Only Fools And Horses with the budgie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

That's disgusting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Larry Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I heard that about 10 years ago and believed it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

About 20 years ago my sister told me a story about how she had been out walking in Limerick with her friend/cousin. Some American tourists stopped her outside King John's castle and asked her why they had "built the castle so close to the freeway".

I had told this story to many a person over the years, I was a little surprised when I heard it told back to me a few years ago (it happened to their friend apparently). Since then I have heard it at least one more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

About 20 years ago my sister told me a story about how she had been out walking in Limerick with her friend/cousin. Some American tourists stopped her outside King John's castle and asked her why they had "built the castle so close to the freeway".

I had told this story to many a person over the years, I was a little surprised when I heard it told back to me a few years ago (it happened to their friend apparently). Since then I have heard it at least one more time.

It was mentioned in a thread recently about the wild Atlantic way I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

My friend says unsecured bond holders got paid in some banking crisis, That cant be right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

The key when you start hearing these stories is to finish them before the teller does. Otherwise, he/she will say "but it actually happened to my cousins friend".
    As previous posters have said the stories are always partially believable. And you will notice that there is usually a couple of degrees of separation away from the teller e.g. "my cousins friend". If you ever bumped into this cousin, they will tell you the same story but add another degree of separation ot the tale.

I have posted this previously about one of my favourite urban legends...

A guy in work came in one day - ashen faced as he had just heard some bad news. His friends cousin (!!) was driving on the motorway at night when an unmarked Garda car started flashing the blue lights behind her. She got a bad feeling about it and rang the local Garda station. She was told there was no unmarked Garda car on that motorway. She drove into the nearest Garda station. The "unmarked" car driver was stopped and it turns out he was the local murderer (or similar) up to his usual tricks.

I got this by email years beforehand. What annoyed me about the email is that, included with it was some advice of "Ladies, remember not to stop for an unmarked Garda car". Yeah, because the local sicko goes to all the effort to kit out his car with fake lights and sirens to get his thrills !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

OT

Reminds me of the joke about the yank walking into some small Irish town, dripping with sweat and dragging his huge suitcase along. He stops the first person he sees and says " why the hell did they put the dang train station two miles out of town? Why not put it in the town?" To which the local replies, " sure then it would be too far from the railway tracks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

delricyo wrote: »
    A guy in work came in one day - ashen faced as he had just heard some bad news. His friends cousin (!!) was driving on the motorway at night when an unmarked Garda car started flashing the blue lights behind her. She got a bad feeling about it and rang the local Garda station. She was told there was no unmarked Garda car on that motorway. She drove into the nearest Garda station. The "unmarked" car driver was stopped and it turns out he was the local murderer (or similar) up to his usual tricks.

Oh that local murderer, sure you wouldn't know what he'd get up to next :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There was a recent channel 4 style documentary called something like my 'big fat gypsy holiday' that followed some travelling folk on holiday. One family went to one of the RC pilgrimages places abroad for their holiday and rather than bringing back their belongings and suitcases - they gave everything including the suitcases to a local orphanage....

I have heard that story about a number of castles including Bunratty!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

gozunda wrote: »
    There was a recent channel 4 style documentary called something like my 'big fat gypsy holiday' that followed some travelling folk on holiday. One family went to one of the RC pilgrimages places abroad for their holiday and rather than bringing back their belongings and suitcases - they gave everything to a local orphanage....

I walked away from a perfectly good tent and sleeping bag after Féile. Twice.

To be fair, the second time it was engulfed in flames.

I still have the tent that was brought and used at many many concerts over the years. When it was bought tents were kept and never just left behind.

Celtic tiger pups :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

gozunda wrote: »
    I still have the tent that was brought and used at many many concerts over the year. When it was bought tents were kept and never just left behind.

Celtic tiger pups :rollseyes:

Celtic Tiger? Féile was dead by '96. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

My OH's dad has told that one before, shame on me for believing it :pac:

• Advertisement

Celtic Tiger? Féile was dead by '96. :pac:

Celtic Kitten pups? :)

Vojera wrote: »
    Oh that local murderer, sure you wouldn't know what he'd get up to next :pac: :D

Could be an excellent premise for a sitcom... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't get why it's that scary. It's a common trick that even happens here in Ireland. Body on the road, concerned person stops. People then jump out of bushes and rob/rape/murder/steal car of the poor person who stopped. As a result, if people see an accident, they should ring the guards immediately and don't stop if it's a rural area.

Haha, very common, sure they even use this in that Film 'The Road' and even in the game 'The Last of Us', someone fakes being badly injured on the road, they know whats going on and knock the guy down with the car in TLoU then loads of guys/gang hop out to give chase to kill/rape/eat them.

Even in video games :rolleyes:

Was the fire very intense? Intense? Geddit? :-D

Sorry, sorry...

MammaZita wrote: »
    That's disgusting :(

Au contraire.
    They considered it a "kindness" to the "maids" who would obviously be glad of their dirty cast-offs, them being, well, maids, dontcha know.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

That's a fairly standard radio "edgy bit" that gets sold to different stations by prep services.

it's also a joke told in the movie "Sea of Love"

in that version on a quiz show a guy is asked about the strangest place he made love to his wife and answers "in the butt!"

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Riskymove wrote: »
    it's also a joke told in the movie "Sea of Love"

in that version on a quiz show a guy is asked about the strangest place he made love to his wife and answers "in the butt!"

I can't post links yet, but google, "1970's MOST famous Game Show moment" and you'll see the clip.

Publicity over the new film 'Lucy' puts me in mind of the popular notion that we only use 10% of our brains. While I'm sure we've all met people for whom that would seem to be true, there's no part of our brain that is ever entirely inactive...! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Basically a lot of which is written on the "Has anything creepy or unnerving happened to you," thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't get why it's that scary. It's a common trick that even happens here in Ireland. Body on the road, concerned person stops. People then jump out of bushes and rob/rape/murder/steal car of the poor person who stopped. As a result, if people see an accident, they should ring the guards immediately and don't stop if it's a rural area.

A common trick!! ....if you see an accident in a rural area don't stop because you'll be eaten??

Okely dokely.

Advertisement