Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban legends that people swear are true because it happened to their 'friend'

Options
  • 11-07-2014 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I've heard loads over the years. I always call people on it and say it's bullshít but they insist the scenario's actually happened to someone they know.

Best ones I've heard:

A friend's son stole a penguin from the zoo and they found him giving it a bath.
    - Heard that one multiple times.

A friend of a friend got stoned and captured a leprechaun, which turned out to be a kid with downs syndrome.
    - Heard it a few times too and always say "That's kidnapping, why was it not on the news then?"

A friend of mine had a pet snake that used to lie beside him at night... turned out it was measuring him up for dinner.
    - No, this never happened. Just google that story and you'll find hundreds the same!

So, got any good ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

The fella on a green motorbike that was a kidnapper. That was one that went around when I was a childer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The friend, the traveler girl, "Lob it up there sham".

I have two friends who swear blind this happened to "their friend", both different people, in different parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I have two friends who swear blind this happened to "their friend", both different people, in different parts of the country.

Yup, heard that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

syklops wrote: »

If most traveller girls have sex before marraige they have an awful time of it within traveller society. This one definately isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The one about the girl getting licked out by her dog (puts dog food on her box) only to get caught by the whole family as they busrt in to give her a surprise party.

Total BS - who ever had a surprise party that had no inkling that it was being put on? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

Only recently overheard a woman while in Spain on holidays telling another woman that her friend was getting a bus in Limerick when a black woman arrived with a buggy. The bus driver told the woman there wasn't room for the buggy on the bus so the black woman left the buggy at the side of the road and said the Social Welfare will get me a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

The '...Genuinely Creepy Or Unnerving...' thread is full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Yeah heard the free buggies from SW LOADS of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    Only recently overheard a woman while in Spain on holidays telling another woman that her friend was getting a bus in Limerick when a black woman arrived with a buggy. The bus driver told the woman there wasn't room for the buggy on the bus so the black woman left the buggy at the side of the road and said the Social Welfare will get me a new one.

I've heard so many people tell this story and the other one about the allowance of x amount a week for African women to have their hair done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

What's that about? That some lad got off with a traveller? I don't think I know that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

curlzy wrote: »
    Yeah heard the free buggies from SW LOADS of times!

The amount of times I have heard is crazy and I have found the majority of people telling it have never nor never will, work a day in their life

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Drunk girl passes out at party. Male population of said party proceed to "have turns" with her. One realises the next day the girl was his sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Big Nasty wrote: »
    The one about the girl getting licked out by her dog (puts dog food on her box) only to get caught by the whole family as they busrt in to give her a surprise party.

Total BS - who ever had a surprise party that had no inkling that it was being put on? :pac:

I've heard a variation of that where it was broadcast on a Spanish TV show. The singer Ricky Martin was apparently hiding in the closet & there were hidden cameras in the room to record her surprise upon meeting her idol. For some reason instead of immediately cutting to ads when she stripped off the tv executives just went with it but did cut just before the canine action began. I wonder how many people have actually tried to find that footage online...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

The foreign friend who says "thanks, pennys" because she thinks its an expression here.

The girl/guy who after a one night stand or something is alone in a strangers flat, realises the toilet is out of order or some such nonsense, ends up relieving himself/herself into a plastic bag..he/she leaves the flat, but forgets to bring the bag with him/her.

The Bono/Springsteen in a restaurant story.

Best ones I've heard:

A friend's son stole a penguin from the zoo and they found him giving it a bath.
    - Heard that one multiple times.

That one has some basis of truth to it!

http://m.rte.ie/news/touch//2010/0708/133130-penguin/

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Custardpi wrote: »
    The singer Ricky Martin was apparently hiding in the closet

This part turned out to be true, no?

Rasheed wrote: »
    What's that about? That some lad got off with a traveller? I don't think I know that one

Guy pulls girl in niteclub, between the dark and disorientating lights its not until they are outside that he realizes she is a traveller(not that there is anything wrong with that of course). Guy panics thinking she is going to take him back to the caravan and that her father will murder him til he is dead. Instead girl brings him behind the niteclub and uses the "lob it up there". The "sham" is sometimes added for extra comedic effect.

iMac_Hunt wrote: »

Don't forget the one about the fella selling his car and an African arrives and asks will he take a cheque and the fella says why and the African says he got a cheque from the SW to buy a car because he was being racially abused on the bus.

I'd always hear about the Cork girl who said "Hurrrrl it into me, bhoy". Probably because I was the only Cork guy in the group of lads, and they were taking the mick.

Yeah that's an old one alright. The slight variation on it I heard was that the lad, as a kind of foreplay started by engaging in some digital exploration at which the girl exclaimed "Ah will ye stop with the fancy stuff & just horse it into me!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Custardpi wrote: »
    Yeah that's an old one alright. The slight variation on it I heard was that the lad, as a kind of foreplay started by engaging in some digital exploration at which the girl exclaimed "Ah will ye stop with the fancy stuff & just horse it into me!".

That's the version I heard a fair few times as well

I used to hear this story in UCC in the early '90s. It was a guy stole a penguin from Fota, and was keeping it in his bath. Usually told by a guy who lived near Fota for added credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I heard the penguin one and the leprechaun under the stairs one a good few times.

And I recall one about a girl in Amsterdam who was dancing with this fella and was set to go back to his place. But got separated after going to the loo or something. Then seen on the news a few weeks later he was arrested for a string of murders of women he'd picked up at the bar.

There was also the one about a girl getting some sort of infection down below and the doctors being confused as it was usually related to corpses. Turns out the girls boyfriend who worked in a hospital was riding the stiffs.

Both of those were accompanied by "This actually happened to my friends sister who lives in Amsterdam".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

That's from 2010. The story I've heard over and over is about a kid stealing it on a school trip and it's well over 15 years since I first heard it yet every time I've heard it, it only happened recently.

Heard the traveler story too many times to count. "Lob it into me, boss"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Friend's aunt's cousin's friend worked in a mental hospital for criminally insane. Goes out for the evening and hires a babysitter. Rings in the middle of the evening to check up on babysitter. Babysitter says the child is scared by the life size clown doll in the corner of the room. Gets told to leave the house because they don't have any life-size clown doll

Most of these have some credibility in the sense that they're not describing scientifically impossible phenomena, they could potentially happen to somebody. It's more the fact that they seem to have happened to a large percentage of the population that casts the most doubt on them. Apparently millions of people claim to have attended Woodstock, while at one time just about any monastry in Europe claimed to possess a piece of the True Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The one where a beloved family dog dies, and the owner lives in an apartment so has nowhere to bury him. She rings the vet who tells her to bring Rover down so they can cremate him. She decides to bring him in a large suitcase down the road to the vets. A young lad offers to help with the suitcase, and asks what's in it as it's so heavy. She panics and says it's her boyfriend's decks, he's a DJ. Young fella then runs off with the suitcase.

There was one going around my RDF unit that had been witnessed by one of the lads. Large billet(like a dormitory), 200 beds in rows. One of the lads meets a girl and brings her back to the billet(unlikely). 10 minutes of rhythm creaking ensues, with herself whispering "harder" at intervals. After about 10 minutes one of the supposed 200 listening in, shouts out "Would you just c*m FFS?!?"

Any time I heard that story the location of the camp/barracks changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Girl on holidays in wherever, holiday romance with gringo, gringo gives her a present when she's leaving and tells her not to open it until she's on the plane. It's a miniature coffin with a message inside saying she now has AIDS (too).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Duff wrote: »
    The '...Genuinely Creepy Or Unnerving...' thread is full of them.

the first one about gacy is not believable

Advertisement