Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play Movies

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frogurt!

Downloaded the app on a 4s there. You can 'manage your library' but you can't rent or buy from the Play store. Same goes for Play music obviously, but was a bit surprised (though I shouldn't be!) that you can't buy from the Kindle app. I'd only ever used the Kindle app on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Frogurt! wrote: »
    Downloaded the app on a 4s there. You can 'manage your library' but you can't rent or buy from the Play store. Same goes for Play music obviously, but was a bit surprised (though I shouldn't be!) that you can't buy from the Kindle app. I'd only ever used the Kindle app on Android.
    If you mean you're surprised that you can't buy from the Kindle app on iOS that would be because apple wants a cut of any in app purchases, and a quite sizeable cut iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can this be played on a chrome browser? Haven't got a Chromecast and might just use the old fashioned method of plugging my laptop into a hdmi cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frogurt!

Yeah you can use it through the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Not sure why but I've had this since I got my Nexus 5 from the UK store, probably because I used proxy to buy it?
    Play store is still in Sterling for me :/

The only free (short) movie I found on it was Luna.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Jesus google. You're way out with the pricing here. If shows/Movies were like a euro or something to stream, I'd consider.

Back to streaming via another app for me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭corkie

If you've saved a movie or TV show on your device to watch offline, you'll need to remove it from your device before you can watch it on your TV with Chromecast.

Taken from this page

Pity as I'm on limited data mobile broadband with O2, was hoping I would be able to download on a free wifi access point and play the videos later.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Jesus google. You're way out with the pricing here. If shows/Movies were like a euro or something to stream, I'd consider.

Back to streaming via another app for me I'm afraid.

Not really Google's fault, its the powers to be in the movie industry not moving with the times. They demand the price for the rights to sell the content. As you say the sooner they realise that when it's €15 - €20 for a movie people are going to go and get it for free when you can whereas if it was €2-3 people wouldn't. It's crazy how slow industries like this are to change with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

As you say the sooner they realise that when it's €15 - €20 for a movie people are going to go and get it for free when you can whereas if it was €2-3 people wouldn't. It's crazy how slow industries like this are to change with the times.
    It's actually much, much worse than that. Pirating typically provides a much better service
    • No DRM
    • can (normally) find whatever quality level you want
    • have the option to stream or download
    • often faster downloads
    • can play on practically any device you like
    • only really need one source instead of 10 different services
    • virtually everything is available
    • you don't have to worry about e.g. Netflix removing a series before you get to the finale

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Comparing the prices with the Sky Box I've noticed that for renting Google Play Movies are cheaper but for actually owning the film Sky is better because you get the DVD in the post as well.

• Advertisement

I have an English Google Account from a few years ago and I was comparing their prices to ours.

I noticed a load of films are reduced from £11.99 to about £6.99 whereas there is no reduction on our PlayStore.

On the TV section each episode regardless of the programme seems to cost £1.89.

Some whole series in HD cost up to £40 which is a crazy price!

Something interesting I noted is that they have the first series of Orange Is The New Black which if you didn't know is a Netflix series.. All 10 or so episodes for £1.89 each...

And a month of Netflix is £6!!

And finally I noticed that they have True Blood too which has just came out over here, I noticed that they have up to date episodes.

Episode 2 aired on FOX on Sky on Monday and it's on Google Play now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

480p seems to be the highest "HD" resolution you get when you download to device. That's kind of pathetic! :(

Turtwig wrote: »
    480p seems to be the highest "HD" resolution you get when you download to device. That's kind of pathetic! :(

How can ye tell?

I rented a film just to test and it worked grand with my Chromecast.

Looked great in what I hope was 1080p too!

Advertisement