Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oireachtas TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

One of the easiest ways to resolve this issue is for the Minister: -

1. When approving Virgin Media's TV3 takeover that TV3 must provide its service on Saorview in HD along with TV3 +1 sighting consumer choice
    2. Telling TG4 that it must go on Soarview in HD and that the Deparment fund its HD and the department expects it to be on Soarview in HD.

This would reduce the cost of HD for UTV Ireland and SD for all SD channels.

1. RTE ONE HD
    2. RTE2HD
    3. RTE NEWS NOW
    4. RTEjr/RTE ONE +1
    5. OTV

1. TV3 HD
    2. TG4 HD
    3. UTV Ireland
    4. Irish Film Board
    5. TV3 +1
    6. 3e

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Elmo wrote: »

1. When approving Virgin Media's TV3 takeover that TV3 must provide its service on Saorview in HD along with TV3 +1 sighting consumer choice
    2. Telling TG4 that it must go on Soarview in HD and that the Deparment fund its HD and the department expects it to be on Soarview in HD.

1. RTE ONE HD
    2. RTE2HD
    3. RTE NEWS NOW
    4. RTEjr/RTE ONE +1
    5. OTV

1. TV3 HD
    2. TG4 HD
    3. UTV Ireland
    4. Irish Film Board
    5. TV3 +1
    6. 3e

I totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No point doing a film channel in SD, and TV3 would say it's unfair to allow UTVi to continue in SD and we all know how much they like everything to be fair :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

lgs 4 wrote: »

1. RTE ONE HD
    2. RTE2HD
    3. RTE NEWS NOW
    4. RTEjr/RTE ONE +1
    5. OTV

1. TV3 HD
    2. TG4 HD
    3. UTV Ireland
    4. Irish Film Board
    5. TV3 +1
    6. 3e

I totally agree

I hope it happens like the above

But it won't, I hope I am wrong

No point doing a film channel in SD, and TV3 would say it's unfair to allow UTVi to continue in SD and we all know how much they like everything to be fair :rolleyes:

They can bring that up when they get a chance to lobby the minister on the takeover of UTV by ITV as they did when UTV Ireland set up. And when RTE2HD set up, and when RTE Plus was suggested, and RTE NEWS NOW and when RTE wanted to move RTEjr from RTE2 and so on.

TV3 will be a much, much larger company in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At least they don't have the "pity us, we're the little guy" excuse anymore.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I don't think the Irish Film Channel is going to happen

I don't think TV3 +1 is going to happen

I'm not sure if UTV Ireland will stay or not

I'm not even sure that 3e will survive

I also don't think OTV will be on Saorview

I'm not sure if I'm being a pessimist

I don't think the Irish Film Channel is going to happen

I don't think TV3 +1 is going to happen

I'm not sure if UTV Ireland will stay or not

I'm not even sure that 3e will survive

I also don't think OTV will be on Saorview

I'm not sure if I'm being a pessimist

IFB won't an SI should be signed to remove it from the act.

UTV Ireland will be fine just will see cuts under ITV

3e costs pennies and is prob holding up TV3

OTV should be.

Realism pessimism?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

3e costs pennies and is prob holding up TV3
    Plus it keeps UTV Ireland off 105 on Sky and on the second page of the Sky EPG.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

SIs can never amend acts, (except if they are on foot of the European Communities Act 1972 and implementing EU legislation). They can only fill in the gaps in primary legislation.

The Irish Film Channel will never happen (and to be honest in the days of Netflix and co it may be that it is an idea that has missed its boat) but it's up to the Oireachtas to remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

documentary marking 25 years of video recorded oireachtas is online http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/watchlisten/25yearsontv/

very general, a few mentions of oireachtas tv channel and future hopes for it, worth a watch

Ming Flannigan shown to use it to get on the 6:1 news with his water. Must complain to the BAI.

Think of The Children.

Politician's are good very good actors.

Labour are great lads at supporting right wing Parties. Rather than remain as the biggest Opposition Party.

An interesting view that after 10 years of TV in Ireland it was expected that TV cameras would be in Parliament when I wonder if Stills were allowed, after 50 years of a state.

48 mins

RTE Guide wouldn't even carry RTEjr during DSO.

Anyway skipped most of it too much pats on the back from all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

A step in the right direction at last for saorview with oireachtas TV

brick man wrote: »
    A step in the right direction at last for saorview with oireachtas TV

As long as the pay there way. Politicians get too much of a free ride on the box as it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's about time everyone had access to what's going on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    As long as the pay there way. Politicians get too much of a free ride on the box as it is

I agree and I wouldn't give them any discount , but improves saorview offering a bit

brick man wrote: »
    I agree and I wouldn't give them any discount , but improves saorview offering a bit

They shouldn't be given pats on the back for this, it should have been on Soarview from the start. 5 years it took them to get a pilot basis. AKA a trail, launching when? Or does it remain a trail like TG4 HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Good news for FTA viewers. What channel number it is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Good news for FTA viewers. What channel number it is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I see they mention vodafone as well. Presume its the tv service yet to launch?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They certainly live in a bubble. All the media (IT, RTE, etc) live in a world where their TV comes from Sky or UPC and I am talking about the staff. Any discussion always assumes that the normal way anyone watches TV is through a pay platform. The TV guide in the Irish Times carries most of the Sky channels and none of the Freesat channels (like ITV2,3,4, More4, Ch 5 variations, etc.)

The politicians are worse - wanting everything for free - except for Sky where they were paying €250,000 but not Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

"The availability of Oireachtas TV on Saorview, in addition to its carriage on Sky, Virgin Media, Eir and Vodafone, means that the Channel will have coverage in 98% of Irish households"

I presume it's not going to be on Saorsat then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

"The availability of Oireachtas TV on Saorview, in addition to its carriage on Sky, Virgin Media, Eir and Vodafone, means that the Channel will have coverage in 98% of Irish households"

I presume it's not going to be on Saorsat then

I think that whoever released that information was unaware that if it was solely on Saorview, it would have coverage in 98% of Irish households as Saorview can be received in 98% of Irish households.

So why are they paying Sky €250,000 to carry it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just because Saorview covers 98% of Irish households doesn't mean it's receivable in 98% of them. There are many households with pay-TV who are not set up to receive any other system. They aren't going to buy an aerial just to receive a channel which (being frank) most of them have no interest in watching for any lenght of time.

Agreed, but it is a co-incidence that the figure of 98% is used. I would have thought that 100% of people can receive it now but only 75% or so could receive it last week. It is lazy of the civil servants to not know the facts.

Even then, the announcement is couched in secret speech that suggests that agreement has not been reached and that the final agreement will involve a large contribution from RTE/2RN after the forthcoming general election.

We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

icdg wrote: »
    Just because Saorview covers 98% of Irish households doesn't mean it's receivable in 98% of them. There are many households with pay-TV who are not set up to receive any other system. They aren't going to buy an aerial just to receive a channel which (being frank) most of them have no interest in watching for any lenght of time.

That is their choice ..... to receive Saorview or not.

I see no reason at all for it to be on any other service ..... and most definitely not if that carriage has to be paid for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/mediazone/pressreleases/2016/name-31310-en.html

Yeah, I discovered it by accident on Saorview last night so; I added it to my channel line-up as it would have been a blind channel otherwise in terms of access.

It seems absolutely ridiculous that Houses of the Oireachtas TV were willing to fork out €250,000 to SKY Television but had expected it to be carried for Zero/FREE Of Charge on the Saorview Irish DTT platform even though it has been abundantly clear that all broadcasters here in Ireland (including RTÉ who own and manage the Saorview digital tv platform through it's subsidiary company RTÉNL/2RN) have been experiencing very challenging times in terms of generating revenue from various streams for a prolonged period against a backdrop of more & more competition from both inside and outside Ireland.

The Minister responsible should have intervened long before now and found a way to ensure that this channel paid a similar carriage fee of €250,000 to 2RN to ensure that it went live on Saorview first before it be allowed to agree terms to appear on other paid TV platforms like SKY Television and any other operators either simultaneously or else at a later stage. I know it forms only a small part of a more complex plan as there are other things to be considered and reviewed too but this fiasco has not reflected very well on any of the bodies involved. Finally we have it for now on Saorview LCN No.22 "on a pilot basis" anyway.

This almost sounds like the DAB Trials for RTÉ Digital Radio on a very long pilot basis in Dublin/Cork City/Limerick City only! Rest of the country just keep waiting until someone gets their act together and actually makes a decision or kicks to touch for the next government administration, perish the thought!

I wonder what date will the General Election be taking place? Where is our Taoiseach Enda Kenny when you need him?
    My gut feeling is G.E. 2016 is probably gonna be the last Friday in February as any later will clash with timetables of Government Ministers/Taoiseach/Tánaiste travelling the globe for St. Patrick's Week! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

That is their choice ..... to receive Saorview or not.

I see no reason at all for it to be on any other service ..... and most definitely not if that carriage has to be paid for!

To make the channel available to the widest potential audience it needs carriage on Sky /Virgin etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Infoanon wrote: »
    To make the channel available to the widest potential audience it needs carriage on Sky /Virgin etc

No it doesn't.

It is a channel primarily for those who reside in Ireland.
    Saorview is available to 98% of Ireland.
    Saorview is Free To Air.

Saorview is the obvious primary service on which it should be carried.
    To make it available to the diaspora then an on-line stream is all that is needed. (Is this not already there?)

There is no reason whatsoever to make payment to foreign companies to carry the channel.
    If they want to carry it then by all means let them, but making payments to them to do so is ridiculous ...... and could easily be considered to be mismanagement of finances.

Advertisement