Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed my kids aren't invited to my nephew's wedding.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

OP, are you going to apologise to your family? I think that's pretty much the only way you can salvage any of this. Because, I think we can all concur that if we were the bride/groom, we simply wouldn't want you there with this attitude.

You need to accept that your kids are not going to be everyone else's priority, especially at someone's wedding that they have spent a lot of money on and have planned for weeks. The only thing stopping you from going and enjoying yourself is your attitude.

So are you going to apologise to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Christian 121071

Afroshack wrote: »
    There's no way that's true. Is it the weddingsonline forum? Yeah nobody agreed with you there either.

I didnt go to the other forum yet. Im too busy here. I speak the truth. Others thought not inviting kids to save money, get drunk freely or whatever lame reason they came up with, was, mean minded, cheap, spiteful and shortsighted. I should know. I didnt sleep at all. I read alot, it was comforting to know others got it. They weren't all parents themselves either. Good job I have nothing on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I didnt go to the other forum yet. Im too busy here. I speak the truth. Others thought not inviting kids to save money, get drunk freely or whatever lame reason they came up with, was, mean minded, cheap, spiteful and shortsighted. I should know. I didnt sleep at all. I read alot, it was comforting to know others got it. They weren't all parents themselves either. Good job I have nothing on today.

So what if others agree, its not their wedding, its not their decision. The bride and groom have made up their mind so you either suck it up and go or decline respectfully or you don't go and be the laughing stock of the entire day.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

I think the OP is completely unaware that it's someone else's wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Hi ladies, change of subject. My favourite sister's 33yo son is getting married this month. I was v involved with him as a child and now my children and his children are fairly good buddies, go to sleepovers & parties. I keep all my really nice dresses for his middle child. Great excitement in my house about big day out. My 7 yo thought she might even have a chance of being a flowergirl. (In fairness that was never going to happen as they have 2 girls 11 & 5 themselves). Along comes 2 invites to my house. Grandad who lives with me all delighted rsvp & all that. Mine, not so good. Me, just my lonley name, no plus 1, no and fried, but worst of all, not 1 of my chikdren 13,11,9 & 7. My heart fell through the floor. My eldest had told all her friends & discussed what she might wear. Two boys not too interested but assumed they were going. Like I said my 7 yo had high expectations. I sent btb a txt asking what about my children. Basically it was a no. She only wanted her 3, thank jesus for that. Her 11 year olds friend or friendz, ill have to check that, my other sisters 16 yo and a few other teenagers. My kids are hurt hurt hurt, they want to know why, what did they do, they were always nice to their children. It hurt me to see them hurt, this turned to, well that tiger that rises in you when you see someone hurt your chikdren. Needles to say I couldnt leave it at my initial rsvp, which was a no obviously. Something like as follows, It never occured to me that my children would not be welcome at your wedding, especially as 16 yo (the only other cousin that exists on grooms side) would be talking to my 13yo (these 2 girls would be fairly close, but older girl can lord it over my girl a bit). But hey, Its your day so I have to respect your decision. Have a great day. On reading it back to one of my sisters I am so disappointed with my lack of viciousness. It does nit come close to how I feel. Myself & my 4 children live a different type of life, they nearly lost me in an accident 3 years ago. I would never wißh to go to a function without them as someone suggest I do. Considering how clise I cam to losing my life, why am I letting this affect me so much.

Your attitude stinks OP. There is no reason why your children should have been invited.

You had two options.

Arrange a babysitter and attend on your own

or

RSVP that you would not be attending.

End of.

• Advertisement

Dear lord the irony is lost on you.

Let me spell it out for you. It's not the bride who is causing problems, it's you.

You speak very dismissively of the wedding, if it's so unimportant, then why are you throwing such an unholy strop?

I genuinely think you need medical assistance for mental health issues.

No I dont agree, the wedding is important because it is my sisters boy getting married & my children expected to be going. As did my 2 sisters, havnt told grandad yet. Cant wait for his input.

Actually the irony might be wasted on you my dear.

Im glad you are able to make a mental health assessment on a wedding chat page. Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Yes, im not going to bother with her any more. If she thinks being a precious snowflake fir a few hours is more important than causing problems for her mother in laws family. Ill let her off. She too will grow up and see that budgets and seating plans wernt worth it.

Clearly you havnt grown up enough to see that seating plans and budgets aren't worth it.

Also, the comment about the precious snowflake - how dare you?? IT IS HER WEDDING DAY. She is the most important person that day. Something you obviously cannot grasp.

Furthermore - 'I'm upset my CHILDREN wernt Invited to their 33yr old cousins wedding.'

Please tell me you hear how petty, bitter and childish that sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Mods, this is going around in circles. Can we close the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

No I dont agree, the wedding is important because it is my sisters boy getting married & my children expected to be going. As did my 2 sisters, havnt told grandad yet. Cant wait for his input.

Actually the irony might be wasted on you my dear.

You really are intent on ruining your nephews day aren't you, if his future wife is as bad as you make out it really must take one to know one. You are going to make your nephews life miserable and he may never forgive you for that.

maggiepip wrote: »
    To be honest OP you're not setting a good example for your kids in the way you've dealt with this. You've personalized something that should not be personalized and interpreted it as an attack and an insult against you're kids. Most people rise above disappointments over wedding invites which is usually a "numbers" reason, see the bigger picture and do not take it as a personal insult. You're management of this is training your kids to have no understanding of others and as soon as things dont go your way to cut people out of your life.

My management of this so far is a rsvp and a text. Thats it. My kids and I arent discussing except the original. What do mean we are not going. What about my dress, why, what did we do wrong, that sort of stuff that little ones ask. Im not sharing my thoughts with them. My son said it perfectly "Ah #### 'em, dont worry about it".

They b fine, dont worry I'll get over it too, but it will be after the wedding I expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Thread closed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I doubt this is the first time you've lost a sense of perspective on an issue. The people who know you are most likely aware of this and would tell you anything you want to hear for an easy life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Very mature running off to daddy to get your way. What a great role model you are to those precious kids of yours.

My management of this so far is a rsvp and a text. Thats it. My kids and I arent discussing except the original. What do mean we are not going. What about my dress, why, what did we do wrong, that sort of stuff that little ones ask. Im not sharing my thoughts with them. My son said it perfectly "Ah #### 'em, dont worry about it".

The fact that gem came from your 13yr. Old son explains it all. Your children shouldnt even be having these conversations with you- who is the adult here?

Clearly you havnt grown up enough to see that seating plans and budgets aren't worth it.

Also, the comment about the precious snowflake - how dare you?? IT IS HER WEDDING DAY. She is the most important person that day. Something you obviously cannot grasp.

Furthermore - 'I'm upset my CHILDREN wernt Invited to their 33yr old cousins wedding.'

Please tell me you hear how petty, bitter and childish that sounds.

No, I dont think I am. This is just another crappy thing that happen. It is teaching my kids to face disappointment. Only she (and you) think she is the only person who matters on the day. People like you really do exist. I thought it was only in funny movies where that was the thinking behind a wedding. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

My management of this so far is a rsvp and a text. Thats it.

Your management of this should have been to tick the box on the RSVP and keep your bile to yourself.

Did you actually buy your child a dress for a wedding you had no way of knowing they were invited to??
    You are the one who have your children upset with your ridiculously inflated sense of self importance and entitlement.

A wedding is no place for kids.

Also, I bet grandad will be upset by your ranting and raving and spoiling the day for anyone going because you're so bitter. NOT by the fact your children aren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Why did you go out and pick outfits for your kids to a wedding they hadn't been invited to? Do you not think that was a mistake on your part as a parent?

I had a the same issue with a cousin for my wedding, she expected her three kids to be invited. Unfortunately I backed down and invited them against my better judgement. I hate that they were there so I'm glad your nephew stuck to his guns, fair play to them.

OP this is your mistake and not the couple getting married. You shouldn't have built up your kids expectations so it's completely on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You have made a complete and utter show of yourself OP, I'm embarrassed for you.

Wellyd wrote: »
    Very mature running off to daddy to get your way. What a great role model you are to those precious kids of yours.

Well Grandad is my neohews grandfater too. Greatgrandfather to his kids. Despite what some loveky b2b think, its a bbig day for him. He went to the trouble of living this long, he might as well throw his spoke in.

eviltwin wrote: »
    You have made a complete and utter show of yourself OP, I'm embarrassed for you.

And your mother for havin ya!

• Advertisement

No, I dont think I am. This is just another crappy thing that happen. It is teaching my kids to face disappointment. Only she (and you) think she is the only person who matters on the day. People like you really do exist. I thought it was only in funny movies where that was the thinking behind a wedding. Good luck with that.

People like you exist?!

Christ alive

Afroshack wrote: »
    Mods, this is going around in circles. Can we close the thread?

Off you go then, you are wasting space for the people who want to debate this.

Well Grandad is my neohews grandfater too. Greatgrandfather to his kids.

It's great that even with all your delusions your still able to understand the basics of a family tree! The branch your on will probably get sawn off after your recent doings though. You're creating family trouble for no reason other than spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

In all my time on boards.ie, I don't think I have ever come across someone with the selfishness as the OP. And have never seen anyone just disregard the viewpoint of an entire thread! It is the bride's day. Not yours. Not your kids.

Wellyd wrote: »
    And your mother for havin ya!

Nice

Are you a troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Off you go then, you are wasting space for the people who want to debate this.

You do realise noone is debating though?EVERYONE (ten pages) disagrees with you.

Christian, I feel your pain. You must understand it's THEIR day and they and only they have the right to invite whoever they want. You can't change anything and will only upset yourself further by dwelling on it. Let it go and get on with life. Using the money you will save on the day on a nice day out with your kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Just read through this. Some of the later posts by the OP don't ring true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

The Peanut wrote: »
    Just read through this. Some of the later posts by the OP don't ring true.

I agree. I'm starting to think this is a wind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Well I fully intend on cutting her out now. I would consider that the children are close. I love my sister and her boys so much. After bro and sisters there is only cousins. Did u nit grow up hanging out with your cousins. Im glad you think the second text to btb was dispicable. After a lifetime of smiling and taking nonsense from others, I can reassure you I have never been called despicable b4. Why do I feel so good about it. I must be truely evil!

So OP, because you don't get your way, you have decided to have nothing to do with the bride again and probably allow it to fester and carry into the next generation.
    And you call yourself CHRISTIAN!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement