Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed my kids aren't invited to my nephew's wedding.

Options
  • 06-07-2014 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi ladies, change of subject. My favourite sister's 33yo son is getting married this month. I was v involved with him as a child and now my children and his children are fairly good buddies, go to sleepovers & parties. I keep all my really nice dresses for his middle child. Great excitement in my house about big day out. My 7 yo thought she might even have a chance of being a flowergirl. (In fairness that was never going to happen as they have 2 girls 11 & 5 themselves). Along comes 2 invites to my house. Grandad who lives with me all delighted rsvp & all that. Mine, not so good. Me, just my lonley name, no plus 1, no and fried, but worst of all, not 1 of my chikdren 13,11,9 & 7. My heart fell through the floor. My eldest had told all her friends & discussed what she might wear. Two boys not too interested but assumed they were going. Like I said my 7 yo had high expectations. I sent btb a txt asking what about my children. Basically it was a no. She only wanted her 3, thank jesus for that. Her 11 year olds friend or friendz, ill have to check that, my other sisters 16 yo and a few other teenagers. My kids are hurt hurt hurt, they want to know why, what did they do, they were always nice to their children. It hurt me to see them hurt, this turned to, well that tiger that rises in you when you see someone hurt your chikdren. Needles to say I couldnt leave it at my initial rsvp, which was a no obviously. Something like as follows, It never occured to me that my children would not be welcome at your wedding, especially as 16 yo (the only other cousin that exists on grooms side) would be talking to my 13yo (these 2 girls would be fairly close, but older girl can lord it over my girl a bit). But hey, Its your day so I have to respect your decision. Have a great day. On reading it back to one of my sisters I am so disappointed with my lack of viciousness. It does nit come close to how I feel. Myself & my 4 children live a different type of life, they nearly lost me in an accident 3 years ago. I would never wißh to go to a function without them as someone suggest I do. Considering how clise I cam to losing my life, why am I letting this affect me so much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Hi ladies, change of subject. My favourite sister's 33yo son is getting married this month. I was v involved with him as a child and now my children and his children are fairly good buddies, go to sleepovers & parties. I keep all my really nice dresses for his middle child. Great excitement in my house about big day out. My 7 yo thought she might even have a chance of being a flowergirl. (In fairness that was never going to happen as they have 2 girls 11 & 5 themselves). Along comes 2 invites to my house. Grandad who lives with me all delighted rsvp & all that. Mine, not so good. Me, just my lonley name, no plus 1, no and fried, but worst of all, not 1 of my chikdren 13,11,9 & 7. My heart fell through the floor. My eldest had told all her friends & discussed what she might wear. Two boys not too interested but assumed they were going. Like I said my 7 yo had high expectations. I sent btb a txt asking what about my children. Basically it was a no. She only wanted her 3, thank jesus for that. Her 11 year olds friend or friendz, ill have to check that, my other sisters 16 yo and a few other teenagers. My kids are hurt hurt hurt, they want to know why, what did they do, they were always nice to their children. It hurt me to see them hurt, this turned to, well that tiger that rises in you when you see someone hurt your chikdren. Needles to say I couldnt leave it at my initial rsvp, which was a no obviously. Something like as follows, It never occured to me that my children would not be welcome at your wedding, especially as 16 yo (the only other cousin that exists on grooms side) would be talking to my 13yo (these 2 girls would be fairly close, but older girl can lord it over my girl a bit). But hey, Its your day so I have to respect your decision. Have a great day. On reading it back to one of my sisters I am so disappointed with my lack of viciousness. It does nit come close to how I feel. Myself & my 4 children live a different type of life, they nearly lost me in an accident 3 years ago. I would never wißh to go to a function without them as someone suggest I do. Considering how clise I cam to losing my life, why am I letting this affect me so much.

This post just smacks of unreasonableness. It's your job to manage your children's expectations. You shouldn't have assumed anything and you shouldn't have let them expect or assume anything either. No wedding comes with a guarantee that kids will be included, especially as they aren't even nieces/nephews - they are just cousins. Maybe no cousins are invited, even adult ones?? So maybe it has nothing to do with them being kids. Though even if it was, the couple are perfectly entitled to that decision. I think you're way overreacting and you aren't doing your kids any favours by demonstrating this type of response.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The hosts, not the guests, invite those they want to attend any event. You shouldn't have expected your children to be asked and telling them they're going was foolish. Lesson learned, until you get an invite don't assume you'll be going.
    And please don't be those parents who give the rest of us a bad name by huffing about the kids not being asked and pressuring the couple into including yours.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Christian121071, I've given you your own thread. Please don't hijack someone else's thread by changing the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh wow... I'm sure the bride is delighted you've contacted her about this... You should not have expected your nephew to invite your kids to his wedding, no matter how close you are. It is their decision who to invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

This sounds very contrived considering first post and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I love how people assume that their children are going to be invited to weddings. It's up to the bride and groom to invite guests. I think that you allowing your kids expectation of an invite to go that far is really irresponsible. It's not the couples fault that your kids are disappointed about not going now. Writing a note like that is ridiculous because at the end of the day the couple probably have so many other things going on that it was probably barely recognised. Also by writing that note, You are creating tension with your "favourite sister" for no reason other than to cause a bit of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'd just have RSVPed with a NO let them ask why your not able to a tend no point being vicious.

Did the hosted decide on over 16s only? Save for there own kids?

The lack of a plus 1 is strange, they must have done this to all their single friends.

Elmo wrote: »
    I'd just have RSVPed with a NO let them ask why your not able to a tend no point being vicious.

Did the hosted decide on over 16s only? Save for there own kids?

The lack of a plus 1 is strange, they must have done this to all their single friends.
    Talk about stirring the pot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/modern-wedding-invitation-etiquette-t407816.html?sid=d4cea829768accbac61993b632e27f05

I'm thinking maybe someone was a bit bored last night? It seems odd to register to a couple of sites and post the same thing over them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Children can be annoying at weddings, simple as. They are perfectly within their rights to want their own children at the wedding, and no one else's.

Also, what does your near death experience have to do with anything? Maybe they thought you might like a day out minus the kids, like alot of other parents would?

It was really assuming of you to allow your kids to get exited about this - you realise that you plus your kids are 5 people? And you are only cousins - I would imagine inviting you all would have not only cost a fair bit but opened the flood gates for alllllll other cousins, for all you know the bride may have a large family.

I think you are being very childish, and have turned a lovely thing into a selfish negative. See this for the opportunity it is, a day out without the kids for you to let your hair down with the adult members of your family.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Your attitude is incredibly unreasonable! They're under no obligation to invite your 4 kids to the wedding. Weddings are already massively expensive, if they're trying to stick to a budget it could cost them an extra couple of hundred euro for your kids to be there. Regardless of whether they're on a budget or not, it's their right to invite who they want. Texting the bride to ask was really bad manners.

You mentioned that there's no other children going other than their own, so why would you expect them to change that just to accommodate your kids? I'd imagine there are other people whose kids aren't invited - it's not that unusual.

When I was a kid a fair few of my older cousins got married and my parents would always tell us not to expect that we'd be invited - we had to wait and see if an invitation came.
    Needles to say I couldnt leave it at my initial rsvp, which was a no obviously. Something like as follows, It never occured to me that my children would not be welcome at your wedding, especially as 16 yo (the only other cousin that exists on grooms side) would be talking to my 13yo (these 2 girls would be fairly close, but older girl can lord it over my girl a bit). But hey, Its your day so I have to respect your decision. Have a great day.

Oh my god! Did you actually write this on the RSVP??? What an absolutely horrible thing to send to them. If you're trying to make them feel guilty for not inviting the kids, I'd say it's had the complete opposite effect. I reckon they're glad you're not coming either.
    On reading it back to one of my sisters I am so disappointed with my lack of viciousness. It does nit come close to how I feel.
    Lack of viciousness?? Seriously? I'm actually speechless. You sent a really snotty RSVP back to the B&G, honestly if I were them I'd be seriously questioning my relationship with you and how much contact I'd have with you in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Fagashlil wrote: »
    http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/modern-wedding-invitation-etiquette-t407816.html?sid=d4cea829768accbac61993b632e27f05

I'm thinking maybe someone was a bit bored last night? It seems odd to register to a couple of sites and post the same thing over them all!

Well done for finding that.

The op is a troll.

Anyone who suspects the OP is a troll should use the report post button and let a moderator take a look, please don't drag the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Honestly OP wait until your children are older and are getting married. I'll guarantee there will have to be a cut of point somewhere and someone will be put out.
    Do you think it would be fair of them to send you a snotty note?
    Think about how much 4 extra meals would cost on top of yours, not to mention the floodgate of other cousins that would have to be invited too!!!
    Do you know how big her family is? Do you really believe your family is the only family with no children invited?
    And lastly, have you been to a wedding full of kids? If I'm being honest they are s pain in the arse. I know done people love them but I personally find them noisy and annoying.
    Please remember it's their big day, not yours!! You should be happy for your favourite nephew and think how much hurt you've probably caused your sister by putting her in the middle of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I really dont understand this attitude. You have no right to a say on who is invited to someone elses wedding. If you are uncomfortable attending on your own, dont go.

Im planning my wedding at the moment and am encountering the same on my girlfriends side. Her uncle feels slighted that were not inviting his kids and had made his feelings known - im only sorry hes not my uncle so I can tell him where to go. We made a conscious decision not to invite kids on the basis of I) cost, were already at 200 people, young cousins would take us past 230 (an extra €2.5k) and ii) we dont want kids running around and complaining theyre bored.

From my experience, the ones who moan about this sort of stuff are usually the ones who dump the kids on an older cousin the minute they get there and get smashed themselves. The offense is caused by inconvenience of their own day being impacted rather than anything else.

From my experience, the ones who moan about this sort of stuff are usually the ones who dump the kids on an older cousin the minute they get there and get smashed themselves. The offense is caused by inconvenience of their own day being impacted rather than anything else.

Never a truer word spoken!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I have to agree with nearly everything you said however I would agree with the OP regarding a plus 1
    I really dont understand this attitude. You have no right to a say on who is invited to someone elses wedding. If you are uncomfortable attending on your own, dont go..

I have been given plus 1's and not felt the need to take anyone. I've also been given plus 1's and felt the need to take someone. I do think it's only respect to offer someone, especially an aunt or someone like that the opportunity to take someone with them. Chances are they won't bother taking anyone because they'll have family there, but I do think a little respect to the person attending might not go amiss and if they take someone they obviously don't feel comfortable going on their own .
    I've been invited to 5 weddings this year and not felt the need to take anyone . I was invited to one where I knew no one and I didn't go because I'd no plus one and it was a long distance away in the middle of no where.
    I did feel slighted because I wanted to attend but rather than cause a scene I just declined. I did feel it was rude because I knew no one bar the bride and groom.
    In saying that, that's an entirely different debate and she will know others at it and the main problem the OP has is in relation to her children not being invited.

I hope the OP looks at this thread and realises that she may have over reacted .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

This exact thing happened me when I was getting married . one aunt kicked up a fuss cos her two kids weren't invited . I had my own 2 nieces and my husband nieces and nephew's invited and that was it.
    straight after the dinner her two children ran up the steps of my venue so she decided to bring them in the evening and say nothing presuming it was okay.. Your being petty . It's not your day it's theirs and whatever decision they make you should just go along with.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

I know as a child and teenager I hated the thought of going to weddings it was always my parents who made a big deal about going, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the OP that gave the children the expectation they were going.

As an adult I still don't like weddings too much fuss and money spent for a merger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I do think it's only respect to offer someone, especially an aunt or someone like that the opportunity to take someone with them. Chances are they won't bother taking anyone because they'll have family there, but I do think a little respect to the person attending might not go amiss and if they take someone they obviously don't feel comfortable going on their own . .

Id personally disagree. There are only so many people you can fit in a room and every extra person has a cost. If you were to give every single guest a plus one youd be broke. In fact Id be more likely to give someone who wouldnt know anyone a plus one - an aunt will most likely know half the room already, and will be comfortable sat among family and friends.

All down to personal opinion I suppose but my venue holds 220 people (we're aiming for 200) and Ive set a budget i can't afford to pass. Giving everyone a +1 is not an option for me, and Id rather invite them on their own than not at all. If they dont feel comfortable going Id fully understand, and wouldnt take any offense whatsoever if they declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Talk about stirring the pot :D

Really didn't need to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Christian 121071

Ts my first time using a chat forum, hijack seems a little harsh, I thought wedding rant was the most relevant topic. My mistake.

I wasnt bored, I really wanted some advice and feedback, I didnt think it was any harm. I dont think the other forum was irish, thats why I tried two. I find these posts amazing.

What does this mean, I dont get what you mean.

Perhaps but like I said, I saw my children hurt & they will be hurt all over again when my older sister & her husban arrive from uk. They stay with us. Also Grandad will need to be sorted on the day. No matter if I replied as I did or not 5 people have been upset over what, money, by the looks of it. Everyone spoke to my chilren about this wedding, thir Aunts, their other cousin, it wasnt just myself & the kids. But thank you, your post is the closest so far to at least hint at understanding.

I dont think I put pressure on the b2b to change her mind. I wouldnt attend even if she grew manners.

I dont think I put pressure on the b2b to change her mind. I wouldnt attend even if she grew manners.

I'm sure after your little flair for the amateur dramatics they probably think the same of you.

I'm sorry op but you're just being ridiculous. What makes your children more important than anyone else? Your nephew and his partner decided to draw a line on invites and your children didn't make the cut.

What do you want us to say? The bottom line is the couple invites guests to their wedding, guests don't get to dictate who gets to attend the wedding especially when the coulple are the ones paying for it.

You've made your decision not to go so you really now just need to build a bridge.

Mo, there are no more cousins, we are it, apart from my other sisters 16 year old. Your near death exp phrase makes me a little uncomfortable. My making it back to my kids after the accident changed everything in our lives. We are grateful to have each other, tgey dont care about the material things we thought were important b4. Myself & my sisters became closer after years of being a little indifferent to each other. Also, I no longer have time for pussyfooting around how I feel, my survival cannot be minimised in any way.

• Advertisement

Exactly, my children didnt make the cut..There are other children going. I dont know why they didnt make the cut. That makes it sound that there is a problem with them. They are great kids, a bit too reserved, but really well behaved when at other peoples houses, so im, told. I dont think it was worth causing a rift in the family over a hundred euros or so. Its not like there are any other cousins to open the flood gates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement