Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

katemarch wrote: »
    Really the main argument for camping is that it is CHEAP: the resource of students and broke young couples or families
    If you know how to do it WELL, then it can be very enjoyable. You need to like doing it, simple food, early rising, wildlife, travelling light, moving on, etc.
    But if you are hoping for a simple sort of hotel, then for goodness' sake, find a real one. Or one of those "campsites" that are really a holiday centre with lighter weight accommodation.

Its what you make it, wild camping would not be me for me but that's where it is for lots of people, you can get some really nice campsites with very good facilities that more the kind of camping I would like...each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

the_syco wrote: »
    Looks fairly thin. Find if you're camping out, a thick air mattress is need to avoid the large clumps of grass.

I recently slept out on a stony quarry floor on a 30mm self inflating mat - didn't feel a thing! They're surprisingly comfortable.

As for big clumps of grass - well don't put your tent on them then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Used to go every year as a kid, and camped for a month about 10 years ago. I loved it, foreign campsites are much better set up than Irish ones, IME. Haven't been in a tent since the last EP I went to because himself hates going anywhere without wifi. Me, I love opening the tent in crisp morning air, a bit of mist rolling off the hills and knowing that there's nothing to do all day but take a bit of a walk and maybe read for a few hours. It's great for kids too - there's a lot of freedom in a campsite.

I wanna go camping now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The last time I was camping was in the desert in UAE. It was enjoyable with the camp-fire and a few "social ones" (a member of the group had an alcohol licence).

The problem was the following morning. about 2 foot from the tent there was the remains of scorpions and a snake. It seems that there was a huge scrap (judging by the marks in the sand) between various scorpions and snakes. I didn't hear a thing, but did turn my boots upside down in case there were any visitors in the boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Was taken on a few camping holidays as a kid and headed off to the 'wilderness' with scouts a few times. Also done the tent thing at Feile, Reading and Glastonbury festivals. Wouldn't class myself as a camper in any way but always got a bit of a thrill from the whole outdoorsy against the elements feel of it. Now I have kids of my own I can't wait to take them camping in France, squeezed into the back of a car piled high with pillows, sleeping bags, folding chairs, jacks roll, cooking stuff and general shyte.

Campsites with tents all ready for you to walk into is probably the way to go. Or campsites with mobile homes. If the missus has her way we'll have to find a campsite that's really a 4 star hotel with self catering apartments set in the immaculately manicured grounds.

• Advertisement

greenflash wrote: »
    Was taken on a few camping holidays as a kid and headed off to the 'wilderness' with scouts a few times. Also done the tent thing at Feile, Reading and Glastonbury festivals. Wouldn't class myself as a camper in any way but always got a bit of a thrill from the whole outdoorsy against the elements feel of it. Now I have kids of my own I can't wait to take them camping in France, squeezed into the back of a car piled high with pillows, sleeping bags, folding chairs, jacks roll, cooking stuff and general shyte.

Campsites with tents all ready for you to walk into is probably the way to go. Or campsites with mobile homes. If the missus has her way we'll have to find a campsite that's really a 4 star hotel with self catering apartments set in the immaculately manicured grounds.

Nooooo! If you don't almost come to blows about putting the 'fecking pole in the fecking loop! It's right there! For Jesus' sake Tommy! In the fecking loop you thick gob****e!' it's not proper camping holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

kylith wrote: »
    Used to go every year as a kid, and camped for a month about 10 years ago. I loved it, foreign campsites are much better set up than Irish ones, IME. Haven't been in a tent since the last EP I went to because himself hates going anywhere without wifi. Me, I love opening the tent in crisp morning air, a bit of mist rolling off the hills and knowing that there's nothing to do all day but take a bit of a walk and maybe read for a few hours. It's great for kids too - there's a lot of freedom in a campsite.

I wanna go camping now...

Irish camp sites have improved alot a lovely one in kerry near gallarus on the dingle peninsula is very quiet and within walking distance of the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've been camping twice in my life. Twice too many times in fact. :cool:

sheesh wrote: »
    Irish camp sites have improved alot a lovely one in kerry near gallarus on the dingle peninsula is very quiet and within walking distance of the beach.

Cool, might check that out one of these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Wild camping is the only way to go, anything else really isn't camping IMHO

Jump on the bike to Glenveagh National Park with a 3 man tent (3000 hydrostatic head rating), air mattress & pump, sleeping bag, wet gear, fishing rod/reel & 5 days supply of boil-in-the-bag meals, tins of tuna/beans, few beers/baccy etc

USB charger with an in-line fuse connected to bike battery for charging phone/sat-nav etc, phone loaded with MP3's/MP4's for entertainment in the tent at night & you're away in a hack

Best way to de-stress from the modern world, days spent hiking & fishing, checking snares etc, sleep like a baby at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

kylith wrote: »
    Nooooo! If you don't almost come to blows about putting the 'fecking pole in the fecking loop! It's right there! For Jesus' sake Tommy! In the fecking loop you thick gob****e!' it's not proper camping holiday.

I think the pre-made, divorce-proof tent is the only way I'll ever persuade my wife that a family camping holiday could be fun. When kids are in the equation, huffing and puffing over a holiday erection is a thing of the past.
    Best way to de-stress from the modern world, days spent hiking & fishing, checking snares etc, sleep like a baby at night

You mean you cough and snort through the night and wake up every couple of hours needing a feed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

greenflash wrote: »
    You mean you cough and snort through the night and wake up every couple of hours needing a bottle?
    No, but thanks for the :pac::pac::pac: ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The first time I went camping, I was 16 - went with my mates to Wicklow and it was great fun. Last time I went was '93 at the Feile.

Wouldn't do it now, being so old and creaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Treadhead wrote: »
    I recently slept out on a stony quarry floor on a 30mm self inflating mat - didn't feel a thing! They're surprisingly comfortable.
    Will look into it.
    Treadhead wrote: »
    As for big clumps of grass - well don't put your tent on them then! ;)
    It was pitch black when putting up the tent, and couldn't drive the car any nearer. Also find the clumps inescapable in fields :/ This has happened twice. Also sometimes the clump is not visible in the long grass, and you only notice it when the airbed gives up during the 2nd night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I hate campers... ****ers always get me around corners, always that lucky headshot too! >:(

yeah that why I always let someone else go first.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Akrasia wrote: »
    Ah, so you were the guy who thought it would be a good idea to put up a tent there 'because it's close to the toilets' :)

No, we were miles away from the toilets. We got there on the friday and by about midway through the saturday people (mostly blokes) decided that going to the designated area to have a slash was just too much effort, so they just started pissing on the side of the path (area that was kept free of tents so that people could walk on it). Of course the monkey see-monkey do effect caught on and the it ended up turning into a pissy swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Festival camping is an ordeal endured by drunks with bad equipment. At least, you might be better off being drunk if you want to get some sleep, between the uncomfortable gear, the throngs of people, and the constant noise. And pray that you don't have to test that cheapass festival tent against the elements.

Campsite camping is not all that interesting, but it's something that some families like to do.

Wild camping is great. You can have the best scenery, lakes, mountains, hills, or the sea. You can go with a few friends, have a few drinks or whatever, and have a few laughs.

You don't have those kind of views, or that kind of flexibility and freedom in a hotel.

With proper camping gear, there is no need for discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

geeksauce wrote:
    Hate it, what's the point in it, go somewhere assemble your own accommodation sit outside it with nothing to do and then try to go asleep on a very uncomfortable bed for the night. Get up the next morning and feel like crap after the bad nights sleep and lack of a shower and just wait around until it's time to go home.

you cook and eat..fish..hike..shoot...sex...your either into it or not i suppose..i love it

Advertisement