Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping

Options
  • 02-07-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think of camping?

I find there tends to be two camps:)

Either I hate it with a passion and have been traumatised by scout camping trips and or a washed out rainy weekend camping, its misery.

or

I love it and loved camping with the scouts and or love camping under the stars and have had great times in a tent/ teenager adventures// traveling all over Europe in a tent.

My youngest and her boyfriend are going camping to the lake district in the uk this weekend I am so jealous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Its a poor mans hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I did a bit of tenting way back as a nipper. I find I don't much care for it these days. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Hate it, what's the point in it, go somewhere assemble your own accommodation sit outside it with nothing to do and then try to go asleep on a very uncomfortable bed for the night. Get up the next morning and feel like crap after the bad nights sleep and lack of a shower and just wait around until it's time to go home.

Don't see the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I hate campers hiding in corners aiming down sight. Little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It's okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

geeksauce wrote: »
    Hate it, what's the point in it, go somewhere assemble your own accommodation sit outside it with nothing to do and then try to go asleep on a very uncomfortable bed for the night. Get up the next morning and feel like crap after the bad nights sleep and lack of a shower and just wait around until it's time to go home.

Don't see the appeal.

Well in fairness now you would be filling in the time with fun stuff outside of the period spent actually in the tent asleep. For example, my own experience of it is nearly all motorcycle rallies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Me and the lads always go up the mountains for an annual camping trip.(or two). No-one to whinge as you stumble around a forest buckled drunk at 3am, the women won't go as there's no electricity, and don't mind us going as there's no women up there to tempt us. Except Baaa-bara of course!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Firs off campsite have showers and loos and the lake district is very spectacular so there would be lots to do and I like English country pubs it would be a brilliant weekend. I concede the weather would be a factor in how much it is enjoyable.

Only ever slept in a tent went I've gone to a rally. Not unknown to end up in the wrong tent or find someone in yours.

Good craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My number one rule for going on holiday is:

Never stay anywhere that is worse than your own house. So in that respects, yeah, I love camping.

no, no I don't. I hate it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I love it. We always did camping holidays growing up, either in Ireland or abroad a few times. We wouldn't have been able to afford to go abroad otherwise and it's an amazing holiday, some of the campsites have incredible facilities, supermarket, bars, restaurants, pools, all kinds of stuff for kids on site. Plus you're outdoors and can cook outdoors, and if you have good equipment and know how to set up properly, comfort shouldnt be a problem and you should have no problems dealing with short spells of bad weather. Only time I've gone camping in recent years is at festivals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

nothing beats lying in a water tight tent when its lashing down outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Used to go a lot with the family as a kid. My folks weren't very well off so we could never afford to go abroad or do anything fancy. I hated it and since becoming an adult I've never had the slightest desire to go again, don't think I ever will either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Do it most weekends of the year at motorcycle rallies, great craic, as long as you have the right gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

mariaalice wrote: »
    My youngest and her boyfriend are going camping to the lake district in the uk this weekend I am so jealous.

Ah, to be young... Nothing better than a weekend away from the folks to ride in the forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

What do you think of camping?

I hate it. It's a deliberate decision to deprive oneself of comfort and conveniences, which makes no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

^^^:pac::pac::pac:

nothing beats lying in a water tight tent when its lashing down outside

I know someone who consider that a sort of Zen like meditation.

Ah, to be young... Nothing better than a weekend away from the folks to ride in the forest.

I hate to disillusion you but the vast majority of parent are well aware of and are happy that their children are having sex with their boyfriend or girlfriend. Its normal for people in relationships to have sex. Strangely enough parents tend to want their children to be happy, normal, contented individuals.

Teenagers tend to have the weirdest ideas about their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I hate to disillusion you but the vast majority of parent are well aware of and are happy that their children are having sex with their boyfriend or girlfriend. Its normal for people in relationships to have sex. Strangely enough parents tend to want their children to be happy, normal, contented individuals.

Teenagers tend to have the weirdest ideas about their parents.

Only I haven't been a teenager for long time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I hate campers... ****ers always get me around corners, always that lucky headshot too! >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I think most people's experiences of camping normally involve a music festival, 15 cans of warm lager and a heap of yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I think I'd like camping in a secluded spot on my own or with a could others who just want to do it for the camping/nature aspect.

But I wouldn't be particularly interested doing it as a group drinking session or parking a camper van into a slot amid several hundred others and hanging around in what seems to me a makeshift estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I enjoy it if it's only one or two nights. Pop up tents and self inflating sleeping mats take the pain out of setting up camp. A few cold beers and a nice fire under the stars on a warm summer's night? Pure bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I can see the appeal but on the rare occasion I do get to go on holiday I want a comfortable break with zero effort. The only tent I want to pitch on holiday is the one I wake up with in a comfy bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Oh, THAT camping! Thought you should have posted to the Gay/Lesbian/Trans forum.

Does cruising on Lough Erne for a week, in a six-berth cruiser, with a gas cylinder powering all amenities and a different jetty every night count? Try it. It's brilliant.

Once camped in a six-person tent in Dunmore East during a week-long sailing regatta. We were admonished one night at 3:00AM by a member of the British team, wearing a dressing gown and slippers, for being too noisy. After wagging his finger at us, he stomped back to his tent. Before settling down to sleep, we (singers and tone deaf) felt it our duty to sing, with guitar and harmonica accompaniment, "Oh Silent Night", both in English and, thanks to the young German ladies who dropped in to discuss (ahem) world affairs with us, in the original German.
    When the Dutch tent joined in, we started again, from the top.
    At this point, the British team asked us to get on with it, so we politely increased the tempo, which only encouraged the Swiss team to yodel the second part harmony line. The yodelling carried quite well across the still, calm campsite and into the neighbouring dwellings.
    Then, not to be outdone, the Italians burst into song and much arm-waving, which woke, scared and scattered the seabirds.
    Well, you know how some dogs like to howl? I'm not sure if it was the Swiss yodelling or the Italian operatics that set him off but, for ever after, we remember that spaniel as Caruso. His solo spot stole the show.

Now, yiz won't get that in a hotel!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

geeksauce wrote: »

Don't see the appeal.

Some of the best nights sleeps I've had were camping :) A wamrm sleeping bag can be incredibly cosy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd love to go but never really have ever...unless our front garden counts :(
    Or at a party for a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

Its a poor mans hostel.

its a poor poor man's hotel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

>>> LGBT Forum please.

Advertisement