Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dd972 wrote: »
    >>> LGBT Forum please.

Instructions unclear, dick caught in ceiling fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think most people's experiences of camping normally involve a music festival, 15 cans of warm lager and a heap of yokes.

That not camping its a form of torcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We stayed in a Scout tent for a few days in Fanore when I was a child before staying in a mobile home. The camping thing is awful. I come from a background of Scouting/Guiding uncles and aunt, never inherited the bug enthusiasm for it. I hear people talking about glamping but it's still just a tent. Give me a 5* hotel anyday, no seriously, somebody please give me a holiday in a 5* hotel, I could really use a holiday:D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The only camping I've ever done was at Oxegen in 2004. Jesus christ it was like some sort of horrible torture camp. Trudging back to the tent after the acts were finished, ground all soggy but it hadn't rained, well at least from the clouds. It had rained piss, though. Running the risk of getting gonorrhea from the porta-pottys. I didn't poop for 3 days. Eejits with guitars thinking they were Christy Moore, howling drunkenly during the night. Awful. Just awful.

I'd actually be fairly open to doing some proper camping. Anyone I know who's done it has had good things to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Like toots above the only camping I done was at oxegen in 09, some scumbag decided to lock me in my tent and set fire to it :mad: some guy cut me out with a tent peg, owe him big time whoever he was,

So no camping isn't for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

geeksauce wrote: »
    Hate it, what's the point in it, go somewhere assemble your own accommodation sit outside it with nothing to do and then try to go asleep on a very uncomfortable bed for the night. Get up the next morning and feel like crap after the bad nights sleep and lack of a shower and just wait around until it's time to go home.

Don't see the appeal.

That's a very narrow minded view of camping.

It's certainly a very cheap way of seeing the world. It can be very comfortable with the correct gear, you can even get blow up mattresses, imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Just back from a weekend of climbing and caving on Owey island that wouldn't be possible without camping, no hotels, bars, electricty or running water there. Paradise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yeah, I like camping. Have woken up refreshed, only to be met with the half dead zombies who complain about their lack of sleep in their tent that they boasted only cost them a fiver.

Find people who, although they hate camping, camp as it's the cheapest option, cheap out on the tent, don't buy a ground mat, and wonder why they got so little sleep :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Toots* wrote: »
    The only camping I've ever done was at Oxegen in 2004. Jesus christ it was like some sort of horrible torture camp. Trudging back to the tent after the acts were finished, ground all soggy but it hadn't rained, well at least from the clouds. It had rained piss, though. Running the risk of getting gonorrhea from the porta-pottys. I didn't poop for 3 days. Eejits with guitars thinking they were Christy Moore, howling drunkenly during the night. Awful. Just awful.

I'd actually be fairly open to doing some proper camping. Anyone I know who's done it has had good things to say about it.

Staying in a tent at Oxegen is festivilling, a very worthwhile experience but definitely not to be mistaken with camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

Great craic. Try to go 2/3/4 times a summer depending on weather and getting a gang together. Cheap weekend away, loads of cans, loads of laughs and great memories to look back on as opposed to just another night in the usual bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

It's intentse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Like toots above the only camping I done was at oxegen in 09, some scumbag decided to lock me in my tent and set fire to it :mad: some guy cut me out with a tent peg, owe him big time whoever he was,

So no camping isn't for me

That was atented murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

nothing beats lying in a water tight tent when its lashing down outside

What sort of tend would you recommend?
    I was looking at them recently and found this a bit contradictory... and ridiculous.

'Hydrostatic head 1200mm - the higher the figure, the more waterproof the tent'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Not sure if it qualifies as 'proper' camping, but I've just returned from a weeks holiday at a Eurocamp in Paris. We stayed in a mobile home, not a tent and we had a fantastic time. I found it much better than staying in a hotel with a little kid. In a hotel with children either you have to go to bed when they do, or they stay up with you and are cranky and whingy the next day. In a mobile home they can be put to bed in their own room with the door shut while mummy and daddy drink wine on the deck. We also stayed a night at a Disneyland hotel while we were away and I much preferred the mobile home at the campsite!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I like camping the whole getting back to basics makes a pleasant change.
    planning to do some wild camping in kerry over the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

That was atented murder.

You sir have made, single handedly the worst joke ever......

You're hired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Festivals are most definitely not camping! They're an endurance test at best. Been there, done that, had my head wrecked...

Can't beat a nice night out up in the mountains with a fire, a couple of friends and maybe a wee drop of whiskey... Of late I don't even bother bringing the tent. A tarp and a nice warm (waterproof) sleeping bag do the job nicely...
    What sort of tend would you recommend? I was looking at them recently and found this a bit contradictory... and ridiculous.

'Hydrostatic head 1200mm - the higher the figure, the more waterproof the tent'

Without going into long winded explanations, it's the amount of water it can keep out - higher number = better at withstanding rain... It's not like a waterproof watch and rated to a depth...

As for recommending a tent, that'd depend on what you want it for....

Edit: no, the depth thing makes no sense... I've really got no idea why you're finding the concept difficult - higher number = better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

A blow up bed is dirt cheap in Argos by the way. A single one is around a tenner I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've stayed in 5 star hotels all over Europe, North Africa and the Americas and I've camped wild in the same areas and I love both for different reasons.

Nothing beats getting on your bike for a few days with a few friends and cycling to a different spot each night, making camp, relaxing under the stars, packing up and doing it again tomorrow or heading up the lake for the weekend and camping on an Island.

pablo128 wrote: »
    A blow up bed is dirt cheap in Argos by the way. A single one is around a tenner I think.

Or if you're worried about weight you can get a Thermarest Trail Lite inflatable mat for about €45 if you shop around. I slept on one every night for about 5 weeks in the South America and it was grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Treadhead wrote: »
    Festivals are most definitely not camping! They're an endurance test at best. Been there, done that, had my head wrecked...

Can't beat a nice night out up in the mountains with a fire, a couple of friends and maybe a wee drop of whiskey... Of late I don't even bother bringing the tent. A tarp and a nice warm (waterproof) sleeping bag do the job nicely...

Without going into long winded explanations, it's the amount of water it can keep out - higher number = better at withstanding rain... It's not like a waterproof watch and rated to a depth...

As for recommending a tent, that'd depend on what you want it for....

bit of camping with the lady friend
    few dead arms
    how's your father

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RustyNut wrote: »
    Staying in a tent at Oxegen is festivilling, a very worthwhile experience but definitely not to be mistaken with camping.
    Huh? Are you then going to say anyone staying in a campsite isn't really camping?
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Or if you're worried about weight you can get a Thermarest Trail Lite inflatable mat for about €45 if you shop around. I slept on one every night for about 5 weeks in the South America and it was grand.
    Looks fairly thin. Find if you're camping out, a thick air mattress is need to avoid the large clumps of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pablo128 wrote: »
    the women won't go as there's no electricity, and don't mind us going as there's no women up there to tempt us. Except Baaa-bara of course!:pac:
    two words - Brokeback Mountain

nothing beats lying in a water tight tent when its lashing down outside

until you hear that first 'drip', and then the second 'drip' and then you're lying awake imagining the impending flood.

Nah. I love camping. It's not something to do if you like sleeping, but it's different and refreshing and it gets the kids so excited, chasing rabbits around sand dunes all evening, and later you get to wake up at the crack of dawn, stumble out of your tent and look straight out onto a sunrise at the beach at fanore (except the sun is rising in the east so you can't see the beach and the sunrise at the same time, but it's still cool ok!)

Toots* wrote: »

Ah, so you were the guy who thought it would be a good idea to put up a tent there 'because it's close to the toilets' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I like a bit of camping and generally facilities are much nicer now than 20 years ago.

Did a good bit of camping when backpacking a number of years ago.

Stayed in one campsite (really someone's back garden) in Brazil where there was only me and the OH and another Brazilian couple.

They used to have really loud sex every night we stayed there, which culminated in the girl shouting "Oi Oi Oi" over and over again.

Sometimes now when we're fooling around one of us will should out 'Oi' and it's enough to make us dissolve into laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Really the main argument for camping is that it is CHEAP: the resource of students and broke young couples or families
    If you know how to do it WELL, then it can be very enjoyable. You need to like doing it, simple food, early rising, wildlife, travelling light, moving on, etc.
    But if you are hoping for a simple sort of hotel, then for goodness' sake, find a real one. Or one of those "campsites" that are really a holiday centre with lighter weight accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...They used to have really loud sex every night we stayed there, which culminated in the girl shouting "Oi Oi Oi" over and over again...

Bet she was from Croydon, and yer maun was inadvertently knocking on the tradesman's entrance! Oi!! :pac::pac::pac:

the_syco wrote: »
    Looks fairly thin. Find if you're camping out, a thick air mattress is need to avoid the large clumps of grass.

I'm a big lad, was bigger and has never been a problem.

A good mat will sort out any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

jimgoose wrote: »
    Bet she was from Croydon, and yer maun was inadvertently knocking on the tradesman's entrance! Oi!! :pac::pac::pac:

I though Oi! was a class of racist music that supporters of the BNP listened to in the UK.

Advertisement